Author Topic: Man Down Update Steve Poulton  (Read 4044 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
Man Down Update Steve Poulton
« on: 31 December, 2012, 12:55:00 am »
I logged into the Man Down Thread devoted to my leg break on 16 Dec. I also loaded a reply and sitrep to provide a fairly full background. I have been very grateful to my AUK colleagues and can assure you it has given me great comfort.  And then, this morning, the Thread was no more. So here is my reply again:

At least you know who your friends are.  I am really touched by your kind thoughts and GWS’s. That is in the lap of the Gods, my head, left leg and whatever the good medics at CGH have done to me.

So here is the lowdown to expand on Mr & Mrs BS’s accurate summary:

Riding a ‘Winter Variation’ (clean road, rather than laney) Cheltenham 2102 Flyer 200 Perm. After Lacock, after dusk, decided to use the ‘normal’ route to Tetbury, ‘cos the bike knows its own way home(?). After Grittleton, on the bends to the Fosse Way, tiredness must have passed over me momentarily when I needed to oversteer L to avoid running into the R verge. That’s when the front wheel just twitched and slid away, dropping me instantly on my L side. I spun around on the wet light-muddy surface (definitely no ice). Picking myself up was not easy and I could still rotate the L leg but could not load it! So, I straddled the bike on the ground, pulled it up, clipped in L foot, sat on saddle and scooted with R to restore dropped chain. I was moving!!! See how far I can go? I knew I could ride the remaining hills home on one leg, as I was ‘forced’ to finish a previous 200 perm that way after a similar (bruising rather than break) fall a few years ago.  50kms later I was at the final Home Control ATM, where I promptly fell again – away from the ATM! Locals picked me up and I fumbled for the ATM ticket. Wife Shirl collected me and dropped me into A&E, conveniently on route to RAF Leckhampton.

X-Ray confirmed cracks to femur and loose pin cement.

Repair consisted of fitting a 70mm longer steel pin, rebuilding the femur and strapping with ‘Jubilee Clips?’, and new hip socket. So that should be as good as new come LEL. Just need to design a Recovery programme. I stayed in Cheltenham GH over Christmas, returning home on Thursday.

I will be lucky to ride at any level in Jan but have Turbo Trainer, Trike and a touch of friend-and-will-power to spur me on to the speediest recovery I can manage.

Again, I am deeply touched by your concerns.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Re: Man Down Update Steve Poulton
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2012, 01:11:57 am »
Missed the original thread, but sounds nasty!
Finishing against all odds springs to mind. GWS and hope you are healed up for the spring  :-*

« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2012, 08:04:24 am »
Where did the original thread go? I read the above on it a door two ago, but it's gone?

Hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2012, 08:12:11 am »
You mean you didn't pedal to A+E?  Getting soft, eh?  ;D

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4 on: 31 December, 2012, 08:45:45 am »
Repair consisted of fitting a 70mm longer steel pin

Steel? I thought lots of these bits were titanium nowadays? I would have had to have raised the possibilities of an upgrade with the surgeons!  ;)

Seriously though, as per my best wishes in the other thread, I hope that your recovery is a smooth and speedy one from a nasty injury.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #5 on: 31 December, 2012, 11:37:13 am »
great to hear you're back up and about, soon to be out and about no doubt.  Here's to a speedy recovery.  Luke

« Reply #6 on: 31 December, 2012, 12:37:36 pm »
Hello Steve,

Sorry, missed the earlier thread.

Good they they patched you up and I am sure you will be back on the roads soon.

I will never forget that 400 km ride (Snowdon and Coast) you cycled (dragged ;)) me round in 2010 after my head injury.  This enable me to ride PBP 2011.  Also, you rode the Cheltenham Flyer and the Eienth with me 2011 and our paths crossed a few times on PBP and thank you for all you helpful words on these rides.

If you need a riding partner, please just let me know.

P.S. Glad to hear you got your ATM receipt for your PERM

Julian Williams

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #7 on: 31 December, 2012, 01:36:55 pm »
Sorry to hear this, but true grit shown by yourself, so hats off to you!...............take it easy on that turbo! :)
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #8 on: 31 December, 2012, 02:39:02 pm »
You mean you didn't pedal to A+E?  Getting soft, eh?  ;D

Job done; 2 points; adrenalin tap off. Also completed 5yrs at 2/per month consec(RRTY).
SteveP

« Reply #9 on: 31 December, 2012, 03:03:23 pm »
Ouch GWS
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: 31 December, 2012, 06:11:29 pm »
Job done; 2 points; adrenalin tap off. Also completed 5yrs at 2/per month consec(RRTY).
Very well done on your 5 years double :thumbsup:
'Get Well Soon' Steve. Guessed you were home as had received e-mail notification but, like you, couldn't find the thread to send good wishes. See you in London  ;)
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #11 on: 31 December, 2012, 07:14:35 pm »

Guess you'll recover thoroughly and well, in spite of difficulty and possible setbacks. It's your style. All the best to you Steve.

« Reply #12 on: 31 December, 2012, 08:46:56 pm »
I will be lucky to ride at any level in Jan but have Turbo Trainer, Trike and a touch of friend-and-will-power to spur me on to the speediest recovery I can manage.

There's this thing call rest. You don't hear much about it around these parts, and I have this suspicion that it may be something you've not heard of. It's supposed to have some benefits, so might be worth googling.

« Reply #13 on: 31 December, 2012, 09:53:35 pm »
All you need now is the Brevet Card returned with 'invalid attempt' written on it!

Anyway, glad to hear that you are on the mend.  I suspect that was a ride you will not forget to remember in a hurry.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #14 on: 01 January, 2013, 12:50:04 am »
All you need now is the Brevet Card returned with 'invalid attempt' written on it!

Anyway, glad to hear that you are on the mend.  I suspect that was a ride you will not forget to remember in a hurry.

Hope not as completed in 12h30m with last 50km at ave of 10mph (1-leg pace!)
SteveP

« Reply #15 on: 06 January, 2013, 05:08:58 pm »
Finishing a ride with only one working leg takes some guts. At least you got your final ATM slip. GWS hope your firing on allcylinders soon. I had a smilar fall on a thin film of mud last year happened real fast but I was in luck that day and no serious bike or rider damage.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #16 on: 07 January, 2013, 09:45:32 pm »
Steve,
Sorry to read of your injury and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Sam C
(PBP 2011 'newbie'/room-mate)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #17 on: 01 March, 2013, 04:29:49 pm »

Hearing of Mac's nasty, the Winter has not been kind to us.

My own recovery is positive. I maintained strong one-legged Turbo work throughout Jan and recorded a 13h32m 206km on 28 Jan. Problem was I only had a working R leg and a Trike to be safe. Following that and more Turbo work I managed the same ride last week in a shade under 12hr, again a 1-legged Trikie. By the way, those rides were RRTY bankers, the incentive to train.

My recovery continues and I can now turn the crank with both legs, so have done a couple 'no pressure' rides on solo, one 106km, a recce for my 100km Cal ride. Still very short on L leg power but it all helps to relieve the bulging R thigh. There is a strong chance I can ride my Helpers ride for my Cheltenham Flyer 200 later this month. See you there?
SteveP

« Reply #18 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:17:12 pm »
Great to hear you are recovering. Bit embarrasing to say your one legged 200s times are similar to my 2 legged firing on all cylinders times . :thumbsup:

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #19 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:06:44 pm »
Great to hear you are recovering. Bit embarrasing to say your one legged 200s times are similar to my 2 legged firing on all cylinders times . :thumbsup:
Tried to find a flattish route. Only 1200-ish m of ascent.
SteveP