Author Topic: New Zealand  (Read 6687 times)

Treewheeler

New Zealand
« on: 11 August, 2008, 10:41:06 pm »
Question for the panel.
Flying to New Zealand... perhaps.
 If your total luggage allowance is 20kg + 7kg carry on...
How do you manage to transport a bike, camping gear etc for extended tours...?
 Or do I.
Pay the £38 per kilo (I think not)
Buy my stuff out there...? Like a cheap bike and only take a trailer and basic shit with me...
 Will have many more questions no doubt very soon...
 Thanks.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2008, 10:52:30 pm »
Buy all non essentials down under.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2008, 11:00:24 pm »

alchemy

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2008, 12:00:15 am »
If the market for cycling gear in New Zealand is anything like the market here, then it'll be cheaper to take all of it with you and cough up for any excess baggage.

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2008, 01:17:32 am »
In 2007 I made a trip to NZ with Air NZ.  Their baggage allowance interestingly was 20kg except on routes that had a stop-over /fuel stop in the USA, when it was increased to 30kg.  The increased limit applied even if only one leg of the trip was via the USA, so I went out via Hong Kong and home via Los Angeles.  :)
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2008, 06:57:47 am »
Pingu's link shows all you need for Air New Zealand.  To summarise - taking a bike adds 10kg to your basic allowance, and flying through the USA doubles your checked in allowance from 1 piece at 23 kg to 2 pieces at 23 kg.  That's the way I went.  Don't forget your helmet, required in NZ and a cotton cap because of the strength of the sun.

Which airline have you booked with?  If you have not booked yet then I found Air NZ pretty good and flying through the USA gives the extra baggage allowance.

Jakob

« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2008, 07:21:26 am »
Check the prices for bringing sports equipment/bikes with the various airlines.
I paid nothing for taking my bike with me to Vancouver with Zoom. (30kg checked, 6kg hand luggage + bike...glad I had GF to help carry it to the airport!)

Biking equipment was a good 20% dearer in NZ when I was there.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2008, 07:26:10 am »
If you're flying to NZ, then there are 3 airlines to check out:  Air NZ (the best choice IMHO), Cathay Pacific (wonderful food and service) or Singapore Airways.

If you book early, then any of these 3 airlines tend to be quite generous with 'sporting equipment' and it's worth phoning the airlines direct and talking to them.

Also, don't forget that NZ is a developed country.  You won't need to take half of what you think you might - you can buy it over there.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2008, 07:54:39 am »
If you're flying to NZ, then there are 3 airlines to check out:  Air NZ (the best choice IMHO), Cathay Pacific (wonderful food and service) or Singapore Airways.

We flew Malaysian, and I'd recommend them also. A stopover in Kuala Lumpur was quite interesting too  - not going via LA was one of our criteria.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2008, 08:29:04 am »
Er, my reading of the Air NZ rules is that you get a bike plus normal baggage flying via Hong Kong but if you fly via the US you get a bike as part of your 2 pieces of baggage. - MEans if you're carrying several panniers you've got to get them all in one bag. When we checked in at Auckland the woman was about to charge us for excess baggage because we had 2 bags each - until she realised we weren't going via the US. If you go by HK you can have as many bags as you like as long as you come in under the weight limit.

We looked at going with Cathay and SA - I think one of them (SA?) when I enquired you had to send your bikes with their freight business! We decided to give that one a body swerve.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Regulator

« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2008, 06:21:09 pm »
It is worth checking about sending your bike by freight ahead of time.  It's not as expensive as you think, and it should be waiting for you when you arrive.

Green Party Councillor

Treewheeler

« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2008, 08:29:01 pm »
Well now... What a worldly lot you all are!
Freight sounds worth investigating as I had thought about flying via San Francisco for a stop off and renting a velo for a few days to get around town.
 As for a tent...
 I have thought that my excellent one man affair from Marmot is too small to be 'home from home' so perhaps buying one bigger in N.Z may be worth while, stove likewise.
 Here in France I have resigned my job, had a week at the semaine federal on the Loire and have now packed the Kangoo ready to fill up my old shed at my parents with all my shit.
No girlfriend.
No house.
No job.
I am quite free!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2008, 08:42:37 pm »
Check that ANZ still flies via the US, last time my mother flew out to Aukland she was crowing about the fact that they had stopped that route so she didn't have to go via LA; however that could just be my mother being "confused".
We flew with ANZ via the US and had 2 x 30kg as our hold luggage allowance, worked out as bike = 1 piece, whacking great holdall with four panniers in it = 2nd piece.
Remember that nowadays you are severely limited on what you can take into the cabin, my hold luggage on one flight was purse, camera, keys, paperwork, books and tent (minus the poles) to keep the hold baggage within the weight limit.

If you are flying into Aukland they have an enclosed bike building area with frame clamps sticking out of the wall, it's just next to the pick up/drop off point for the buses.

You posted while I was writing, so the above may now be useless.

For camping it is worth knowing that a lot of campsites have kitchens and seating areas, so your tent would only be for sleeping in. This does not apply to DOC sites which are basic with basic on top and a side order of basic, they are however dirt cheap. Most Backpacker hostels will allow you to camp in their grounds and use the facilities for a small charge.

Where are you planning to visit?

Treewheeler

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2008, 09:30:23 pm »
Clare my sweet...
 I am planning to wander and wwooff as I go.
I ain't fixed an itinery yet as it's all still in the making but if I have a good time then I shall stay for as long as possible.
 What are the bike shops like? I have googled but not found too many 'touring' style outlets.
I have a great little book in the Lonely Planet cycling N.Z which now Amazons for zillions as its a first (and last) edition.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:10:53 pm »
Hmmm, bike shops?
They are mainly roadie and MTB style places, there was a shop called (we think) Adventure Cycles in Aukland city centre which was a bit more free range, but most touring bikes came with their owners from overseas; this info is from 3 years ago and may be subject to change.

If you are planning to wwoof start north and head south, the one place I would avoid is Dargaville, the kumara capital of NZ, you'll easily get work picking the damn things, but it's like a graveyard, but with less atmosphere, decent sized town with three pubs, one had closed down, one shut at 7:30 even though it was half full of customers and the other had a carefully selected workforce who made us want to be anywhere else. Bay of Islands for fruit, East Cape for grapes.

Better still just go straight to the Mainland (South Island) it's much nicer, Blenheim and Renwick for wine and if you're any good with sheep they are everywhere.

I'll repeat the driver warning, in the cities we found them generally OK, but on the open road they were the worst I have ever mixed with. As to gang violence, every city has it, think Fratton, or even Leigh Park come to that. We never had any grief from Maoris at all, the only problems were with white skinned, Kiwi drivers.

If you can get hold of a couple of tiny books called "Pedallers' Paradise" (north and south island), by Nigel Rushton, they are very good.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:17:23 pm »
I have a great little book in the Lonely Planet cycling N.Z which now Amazons for zillions as its a first (and last) edition.
We've got that one too!
Didn't really visit many bike shops - the only one we went to was in Gisborne when my rear rack stripped the frame bolt threads. They couldn't help us but pointed us to a lovely friendly machine shop who could. :)

Treewheeler

« Reply #16 on: 13 August, 2008, 08:50:07 am »
What I hope to do is NOT end up picking fruit for free but to offer my gardening, landscape and arborist skills.
I'm pretty hopefull that these will find me more interesting work 'wwooff'ing.
 Drivers... I shall have to just get off the bike and wait every time I hear a motor it seems.
Not react by waving a fist or lancing a stone.
Here in France I have had many decent offers of work including the guardianship of a manor with 30 hectares of land.
However, there are not too many periods in ones life when you find your self free of obligations and the funds for voyaging.
Any advice very welcome, thank you.

Regulator

« Reply #17 on: 13 August, 2008, 09:55:10 am »
Let me know when you are going.  I'll give you some names and addresses of folks who will help you along the way/put you up/show you the sights.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: 13 August, 2008, 10:11:09 am »
Check that ANZ still flies via the US, last time my mother flew out to Aukland she was crowing about the fact that they had stopped that route so she didn't have to go via LA; however that could just be my mother being "confused".

Depends whether you want to go east or west.  Westbound flights go via LAX, eastbound via Hong Kong (AFAICT).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #19 on: 13 August, 2008, 10:26:04 am »
ANZ do still fly via LA: we had the choice of LA or HK for our flights next February.
a great mind thinks alike

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 13 August, 2008, 12:37:52 pm »
We didn't have very much trouble at all with drivers when we were there, except for the day we cycled to Hanmer Springs which was a horribly windy Sunday on a main road populated by lunatics, which was awful.
However I suspect it helped that we weren't there right in the middle of the holiday season.

You realise it will be winter there right now, don't you?

Treewheeler

« Reply #21 on: 16 August, 2008, 01:13:31 pm »
Money question for the learned ones...
 How best to access my Sterling and Euros when in New Zealand...?
I have an R.B.S Maestro card and a Credit Mutual Visa debit card.
 However, is there a cheaper way of accessing money avoiding charges and getting the best exchange rate?
 Off to get my cardboard box from the bike shop now.
 Later friends...

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #22 on: 16 August, 2008, 03:05:02 pm »
Any advice very welcome, thank you.

What about renting your ass out for $30 a go?

It'll be just like the good old days in the car park behind the Coal Exchange but with a better assortment of sun tans.

Hope this helps.

Good luck in NZ my little furry friend.

H

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #23 on: 16 August, 2008, 10:07:27 pm »
Nationwide Flex account doesn't charge for withdrawing cash abroad according to Mrs P.

« Reply #24 on: 18 August, 2008, 03:00:35 pm »
We didn't have very much trouble at all with drivers when we were there,...

Same experience here.  If you can cycle in the UK or France then NZ is a doddle.

I think that the bigger problem is, as in the UK, the non-cycling people think that cycling is dangerous and so rant on about nasty drivers.   I know that my Aunt was most insistent on ensuring that we wore the damaged helmets they dragged out form under the bed, "for our safety".  (and yes I know the stupid law over there is to wear them)