Author Topic: The Bread Thread  (Read 51381 times)

Re: The Bread Thread
« Reply #650 on: March 15, 2021, 11:14:49 pm »
Tragic hipster bread made using the stretchy-fold method and baked on my of-so-heavy lump of mild steel. Very very pleased with this one.

What's the consensus on the benefits of the Frenchy stretchy-fold method of kneading versus the more conventional heal of hand/knuckle roll fold and turn approach?
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #651 on: March 20, 2021, 03:59:16 pm »
So does the tinned yeast live in the fridge even when upopened?

Have I mentioned my banneton?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #652 on: March 20, 2021, 04:11:18 pm »
Today is my bread mix of a few flours (pan cereales, allison seeded flour and pan campagne)

Some in the heavily floured and semolina banneton, which will be baked on a pizza stone

Dough in a kenwood stainless steel bowl to be baked in a le creuset enamel coated casserole dish.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #653 on: March 20, 2021, 04:17:12 pm »
Tragic hipster bread made using the stretchy-fold method and baked on my of-so-heavy lump of mild steel. Very very pleased with this one.

What's the consensus on the benefits of the Frenchy stretchy-fold method of kneading versus the more conventional heal of hand/knuckle roll fold and turn approach?
I'm getting much better results*  doing stretchy fold than I was doing kneading. There's strange time dilation thing that seems to happen during kneading, when 10 minutes last for hours. Currently I'm using the ever so cheerful Bake With Jack's recipe and method. However as this has several changes compared to my previous recipe, I'm not sure whether it's the change to stretchy/fold or some other change (overmight fridge rest for example), or a combination of these that is responsible.

* not today. The bread stuck slightly to the peel as I shimmied it into the oven, so it's a bit of an odd shape.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #654 on: March 20, 2021, 04:29:49 pm »
So does the tinned yeast live in the fridge even when upopened?

Check the packaging, but all the ones I've ever used just say to keep in the fridge once opened, which works for me.