Author Topic: CHELTENHAM FLYER 16 MAR 13  (Read 6396 times)

Re: CHELTENHAM FLYER 16 MAR 13
« Reply #50 on: 16 March, 2013, 11:37:56 pm »
Rain and hail. And don't forget to mention the sleet. Riding in sodding sleet - lots of it - oh what fun.

Admitedly I didn't get off to the best start as I had a raging hangover and had to battle a need to throw up alongside the pedaling the recumbent up the hills. This caused me to be barely in time at the first two controls. I made up a bit of time at the third control. But managed to lose my brevet card there. Complete panic. Eventually found it stuck to the underside of the tray my food was served on.

Very slow progress on the final section. Mainly due to it getting colder, lots of sleet and very cold/painful feet.

However there were two riders behind me on the road. I'm worried they've succumbed to hyperthermia.

I thought the improved final part of the route to be much better.

Many thanks to the Steven P and helpers.

I'm going to go to sleep now.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

simonp

« Reply #51 on: 16 March, 2013, 11:38:13 pm »
:-p I made a point of thanking Steve and his helpers at the finish. This was my first 200k since August but I'm reasonably fit just now. However the weather was far worse than expected from the forecast and the second half of the final stage was tough conditions. It repeatedly hailed on us and my fingers went numb and I was struggling to brake on descents. Once the hail started the temperature dropped to 0.5 deg C. When it wasn't hailing it was usually raining. I had to resort to using the drag brake a lot to control speed on descents.

The route is really good. I'd not describe it as tandem friendly! The two village hall controls were fantastic especially the one in Burbage. £4 for as much food as you want. Fantastic soups and a great collection of cakes. Two helpings of soup and a roll and two slices of cake. For £4.

But that was the coldest I've ever been on any Audax.

« Reply #52 on: 16 March, 2013, 11:52:16 pm »
I have this terrible feeling I might have left various items at the final control... :facepalm:

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #53 on: 17 March, 2013, 12:40:06 am »
I have this terrible feeling I might have left various items at the final control... :facepalm:
Yes, drying back at home base. Might be in Worcester soon. When do you need your Credit card. PM me. 18 hr day for me but grateful all accounted for. Really pleased route improvements went down well, though miserable conditions did make the longer ride more of a survival exercise.

So you all want me to book the same Control teams for next year?
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #54 on: 17 March, 2013, 06:29:22 am »
Yes, drying back at home base. Might be in Worcester soon. When do you need your Credit card. PM me.

Sorry for being an idiot. There's no rush for anything, but I'm surprised you didn't mention the Rolex watch, silver snuff box and gold cigarette holder. I assume they are ok also?

18 hr day for me but grateful all accounted for. Really pleased route improvements went down well, though miserable conditions did make the longer ride more of a survival exercise.

Did the two missing chaps make it back ok?

So you all want me to book the same Control teams for next year?

Yes please. Although do ask them not to do a rain-dance next year, ok?

« Reply #55 on: 17 March, 2013, 07:29:29 am »
The was a first for me on the 'new' Cheltenham Flyer.  The route is less of a 'flyer' and more of 'climber' but it is certainly more picturesque though the combination of the wonderful Cotswolds valleys is in the first third with the Wiltshire Downs in the second third.  A fellow YACF'r wondered whether this event would be eligible for AAA points, any GPS users out there that could provide the answer?

Like many others, I underestimated the weather conditions and was very under-layered.  The significant drop in temps at around 5pm resulted in a very cold finish. I was only exposed to this temperature for around an hour but any longer could have resulted in hypothermia.

The Burbage control must be congratulated for providing a huge smile to arrivals and laying on such a wonderful spread with food.  They must be encouraged to repeat their kind offering again next year.

Many thanks to Stephen and team.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #56 on: 17 March, 2013, 08:31:19 am »
Actually, as I was calculating the pros and cons of continuing the ride yesterday, the main reason for continuing was to do justice to the work put in by Steve and by the team at Burbage. Fatigue and my sore throat won, sadly.

Still, last year had excellent weather, odds on for better conditions next year.

« Reply #57 on: 17 March, 2013, 08:51:16 am »
A fellow YACF'r wondered whether this event would be eligible for AAA points, any GPS users out there that could provide the answer?

That thought occured to me ome than once yesterday. I didn't have my GPS switched on for about half the first leg, so I can't help but I would have thought you could upload the GPX file of the route to BikeHike and let it work out the amount of climbing in the first 100km.

simonp

« Reply #58 on: 17 March, 2013, 09:22:31 am »
Though there were lots of steep climbs it was some way short of AAA for the whole ride. But you can score AAA for a sub section of a ride. The section from about 50-150k would perhaps be the best place to look. This may already have been checked of course.

« Reply #59 on: 17 March, 2013, 09:50:33 am »
My Suunto device recored 985m climbing for the Character Coln route.

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #60 on: 17 March, 2013, 10:47:55 am »
My first time on the New Cheltenham Flyer, and it's a wonderful route, much of which is very familer to me.
The two village hall controls were fantastic. I have used the Uffington control many times on local CTC rides, but the control in Burbage must be the best Audax control by far.
I must say a big thankyou to Trevor, who lent me his spare waterproof top as I had left mine at work and only had a flimsy showerproof.
Rode the final section with Phild and we made good time until the hail and rain started just after Tetbury.
Big thanks to Steve and all his helpers.
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

« Reply #61 on: 17 March, 2013, 12:14:14 pm »
Hi Wobbly,

I saw you heading off from Lacock as I arrived at the control, at that point I was one of the two lantern rouge candidates, the other chap was a tall guy in blue (but a few of us were looking a shade of blue yesterday).

He had punctured twice and left the control shortly after I arrived, hopefully he made it back. By remarkable concidence one of my work colleagues was in the cafe with his wife, he didn't know I cycle and was surprised to see me arrive in soaking lycra.

I slogged my way to Tetbury and got there around 7.00 pm but I was feeling very cold, had been off route three times just to give myself full value for money (time to invest in a Garmin), I clearly hadn't got enough miles in my legs since the New Year and I live in nearby Stroud. Given the feeble pace I was achieving, my lowly morale and incipient hypothermia it was doubtful if I could manage to get back to Andoversford by 9.30 pm.

So I succumbed to temptation and called my wife to collect me then called Steve to abandon.

Ironically I did the ride last year and enjoyed it, it is more challenging than the previous edition and the controls are top class, you couldn't wish for better.

Thanks to Steve and Mr and Mrs Blacksheep for organising, I will aim to better prepared in 2014.

« Reply #62 on: 17 March, 2013, 12:50:49 pm »
Glad to hear you are OK Mr Burst. I was constantly expecting either you (the man in green) or the man in blue to overtake me on the last section. I was getting pretty concerned when neither  of you had made an appearance by the time I left as the rain was yet again coming down.

A few quid invested in a GPS can pay dividends I think. Having said that I still go off route occasionally even using a GPS. But then again I'm still using the GPS I bought for PBP 2003 so I suspect technology's moved on somewhat since then.

It's a pity the ride didn't happen today - the weather's bloomin' marvellous out the right now!

« Reply #63 on: 17 March, 2013, 01:00:08 pm »
Only my 4th or 5th 200k, and all since late last autumn, so have limited experience of rides with the balmy conditions some were obviously expecting but I thought it was great (albeit at times in a kind of taking pleasure in self-sufficiency kind of way!). As all have said, the controls were fantastic, especially Burbage but the route was great too – picturesque quiet (and generally mud-free) lanes for almost all the 200k – none of those bits of A-road that mar the routes that go round the top of the Severn, for instance – and lots of pretty villages.

As for the cold hail/sleet/rain at the end, this was pretty much exactly what the weather forecasts I was listening to had been saying, i.e. heaving, wintry showers. I would definitely have preferred it if my "waterproof" gloves lived up to their name – I stayed warm everywhere except for my hands which did get frozen (thumbs especially, for some reason) – however I could have brought my winter lobster gloves but didn't, because I didn't really believe it would be so wintry.

Timing-wise, this was very similar to the previous 200s I've done, but as those variously included temperatures of -4C, ice/snow/slush on the road, I'm still waiting for the dry roads and permanent tailwind comparison ...

I definitely coming back to do it as a perm on a nice day sometime over the summer, though!

« Reply #64 on: 17 March, 2013, 01:31:52 pm »
Having ridden it last year it was the knowledge of the Burbage control which kept me from packing (please keep this Steve. It's unquestionably the best audax control, I know of).  The sideways hail at wilts north golf club was wholly unexpected and what a difference to the ice cream at lacock, as with last year.

The final section was exceptionally hard but a much better return route (thanks steve for taking all last years comments on board).

Thanks to Alistair for the speedy time trial back to the station. 

Although slower than last year, I'm so glad I chose to ride fixed as it was the key for me in keeping warm.

2 well earned points, surely we should get bonuses after a ride like that!

« Reply #65 on: 17 March, 2013, 04:58:59 pm »
Well, that was not entirely what I was expecting yesterday!
I rode this on a solo last year and thought the route was great with the exception of that last steep climb on a busy road with cars close passing me at over 70mph. This year the change at the end of the route made it pretty perfect, so kudos to Steve for what he has created  :thumbsup:

The other highlights of the ride were the controls. Quick friendly service and a fantastic cake selection at Uffington was great. The church hall crowd at Burbage yet again surpassed themselves with the most epic homemade soup selection and warm rolls served ad lib. We were then served the hot drinks of our choice at the table and encouraged to eat and take with us as many cakes and doughnuts as we could! It was also beautifully warm in there. All this encouraged us to stay there troughing a little bit longer than perhaps we should have!

Weather conditions were about to become even worse than the constant rain and drizzle the morning had brought us. The sun came out for a brief few minutes as Simon re-trued our rear wheel outside the Burbage control. Then it disappeared and the skies turned an ominous grey as temperatures plummeted. We thought for a while that it was just stingy cold rain, until it became clear there were little icy bullets hitting us. Rain, sleet and hail took it in turns to assault us for the last few hours of the ride. The cafe control at Lacock were unable to serve any hot food (their kitchens close after the lunch serving apparently) so we had coffee, crisps and cake instead. To be honest some warm soup or a jacket potato would have been an absolute life saver at that point given what was to come and the last section being 70km.

In the last 3 hours the temperature stayed below 1C (minimum was 0C) which on top of soaked clothing from being in the rain solidly all day eventually took away our ability to stay warm by simply working harder. Both of us were verging on hypothermia, so much so Simon was braking on descents because he couldn't stand the icy wind chill on his hands when we went faster. TBH, if we had been unlucky enough to have a puncture or mechanical in the last 40km we were in big big trouble. I was in a mess by the end, just willing away each km and feeling sick from the bonk. I nearly fainted in the arrivee standing at the counter. The hot drink, soup and beans on toast were very very welcome, but I just couldn't get warm again and shook uncontrollably for hours. I also b0rked  my knee in the last 100km or so, I'm not sure why since nothing on the bike has changed since I had a problem on the BCM and we fixed it by setting the saddle back further. This is a different pain, in the ITB area so a new injury for me.

I really really wish we were doing this ride today and not yesterday, what a difference the weather can make! It might take me a few days to forget the near-death-from-exposure part of the ride and remember the good bits! The organising, route and controls deserved a much better day than that! Thanks Steve and all your cheerful helpers  :thumbsup: (I fully intend to do this as a perm on a nice day to appreciate the scenery more fully!).

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #66 on: 18 March, 2013, 12:42:09 am »
It is quite clear that most folk on the 200 were ill-prepared for the late pm chill and intense dampening. Clearly, a case for muddled thinking at Arrivee, as I have a further stock (after Wobbly) of left clothing – Helmet and gloves, clearly Large size. Please claim before I have to trawl all the riders.

I have noted your glowing comments re-Uffington and Burbage Controls and will certainly pass these to the Groups and initiate confirmation for next year (think 15 March?).

What a difference a day makes! Do note this route is available as a Perm (Clock or AC) from Charlton Kings Cheltenham. If you ride on a Thursday, I am sure the Burbage Team will give you a warm (soup) (ploughman's in Summer) welcome for their Fill the Gap 12-2 lunch.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #67 on: 18 March, 2013, 08:17:30 am »
I was never sure whether to ride the Uts 200 or Cheltenham Flyer and rode the Uts instead. I thought we had it pretty rough with the strong headwind and occasional rain but it looks like you all had way more fun than we did and even bit hail into the bargain!
No fair I say! :(

Oh well, it's the Dean 300 and Cambridge 200 next weekend. Off to do my raindance now.
Cheerio....

« Reply #68 on: 18 March, 2013, 09:09:04 am »
Feline's excellent account sums up what a difficult day it was but also the excellent support from the first two controls.  Without riders recuperating at those stops, I believe that the combination of awful weather and low energy levels could have resulted serious difficulties for many.

It is quite clear that most folk on the 200 were ill-prepared for the late pm chill and intense dampening.

Guilty as charged.  I am normally someone who over prepares but this year I did not clearly appreciate the potential hazards.  Another layer would have been useful along with silk glove liners  and bags for my feet.  Without exaggeration, a space blanket would have come in useful too in case of emergency.  Having suffered mild hypothermia twice before, I have should have known better.

By reading the accounts of others,  our little team only experienced the worst of it for the last hour. I dread to think what further exposure could have caused.  The weather turned shortly after Perrotts Brook as the sky turned into something that resembled the cover for the  film, 'Independence Day' - an evil black concoction of icy gusts, driving hail and sleet.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #69 on: 18 March, 2013, 09:15:22 am »
Yes, we (SR and me) experienced that sudden darkening as we departed Tetbury.  I've been carrying a fleecy gilet in my bag all winter, and used it for the first time on Saturday, adding it as we departed Lacock.  So my body was warm, but hands and feet certainly not.  Arrival at the Arrivee was a relief.

I add my thanks to Steve for the adjustments to the route, making it significantly better than last year, despite the weather.  And to the helpers in the kitchen.

« Reply #70 on: 18 March, 2013, 08:28:57 pm »
I very nearly entered this last week...quite glad I didn't ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #71 on: 18 March, 2013, 09:06:16 pm »
I very nearly entered this last week...quite glad I didn't ;D
I was thinking about turning up on the day to ride as my weekend plans had changed.
When the Sun came out in the morning in Bristol I was feeling a bit miffed I wasn't riding.
Oh well, never mind.   ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #72 on: 18 March, 2013, 10:53:32 pm »
Sounds like a case of the weather gods having it in for you folks. The following thoughts might at least allow you to feel the curse was felt by others too...

These are the posts on the Delightful Dales last Sunday. See the photos and the foot deep snow we 'rode' through....  Temperatures were pretty cold most of the time though there was a mild middle bit with even a strange light in the sky.......

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=62074.msg1442564#msg1442564

At one point I could not even clip in cos of thick encrusted ice and had to get someone else with a pointy thing to dig it out for me...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #73 on: 18 March, 2013, 10:58:29 pm »
Completely mad.  ;D