Author Topic: What geekiness/nerdiness did you do today?  (Read 6462 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
What geekiness/nerdiness did you do today?
« on: 25 March, 2013, 05:00:52 pm »
Yesterday I amazed myself a wee bit :)

I updated OSM with a GPS track from a walk, I even added a few more footpaths, extended a river and even added a lake, never done that before.

Then I found out about gphoto2, never heard about it before, not only it could copy photos from my camera to my laptop from the terminal. I could also also take photos with the camera from the terminal and even on time laps. Now what shall I do with that knowledge ?

What have you done today that you never done before when it come to the geek/nerd in you ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: What geekiness/nerdiness did you do today?
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2013, 06:26:45 pm »
I just found out that Raspbmc, the media centre for the Raspberry Pi, now supports UPNP fully!

This means that software with a "Play To" option (like Windows Media) can tell it what to do.  :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:48:33 am »
I'm a professional geek. Currently hacking some Python to query a DB to establish whether the Mass Spec machine is doing what we expect it to do.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2013, 11:06:47 am »
I just found out that Raspbmc, the media centre for the Raspberry Pi, now supports UPNP fully!

I wasn't aware that it didn't (but I only use mine occasionally as a client).
Pen Pusher

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2013, 12:17:51 pm »
Signed up to do the Python classes on code academy.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2013, 12:45:18 pm »
At 3pm yesterday I replaced a file of code with a single line. I was pleased apart from the fact that I had spent the day up to that point writing the file.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 27 March, 2013, 12:58:33 am »
Building a drupal style guide.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #7 on: 27 March, 2013, 08:00:58 am »
Not doing any geekiest this week as I also am a professional geek. I'm on holiday this week though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2013, 02:57:46 pm »
Does just spending GBP450 (inc P&P and VAT natch.) on a computer keyboard count as a geeky thing to do?
If it does; then that.

ETA
To quell the anguished squeals. 
It's a Maltron. 
 ->Without said keyboard I get *bad* RSI.
 ---> I get *bad* RSI I don't work. 
 ----> I don't work; I go cold and hungry.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2013, 03:10:43 pm »
I find melted keyboards hard work to use, although not as bad as French AZERTY keyboards, which always drive me up the wall!  I guess if you need to use them, they're an improvement.

I can't think of anything particularly geeky that I've done today, although many of the people who know me consider everything I do to be geeky!  I am trying to work out how to control an ADC which has a minimum speed for the SPI interface of 800kbps, which may cause issues when controlling it using a CPU which doesn't have an SPI interface, so it'll likely need to use bit banging.  That doesn't seem particularly geeky to me though.
Actually, it is rocket science.

David Martin

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2013, 03:23:51 pm »
I'm having a look at SBML with a view to modelling some kinetics reactions. Can't say I have really got my head round it yet.

..d

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2013, 04:22:08 pm »
Gave up connecting to our local Wifi as a lost cause as it's clearly decided to go on vacation several hours early.  Life's too short and I can do the sysadministry next week or if it comes to it hoik the (new) fucking machine home and do it there.  And stab whoever forgot to put office 2010 on it like we asked for - will shove 2007 on it from disks I have cos I CBA!

David Martin

« Reply #12 on: 28 March, 2013, 05:19:55 pm »
Discovered that my development environment should really be called a geekosystem..

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #13 on: 28 March, 2013, 06:29:52 pm »
Reported a bug onto Launchpad (ubuntu) never done that before and as an added bonus the bug haven't been reported before either.

« Reply #14 on: 28 March, 2013, 07:08:30 pm »
I've been trying to root my recently bought HTC desire so I can put a JellyBean rom on it. I am having some issues with the Clockwork Mod recovery so no success yet. This project could keep me occupied for several days.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 28 March, 2013, 07:17:52 pm »
Creating SQL from Excel. Is that more like anti-geekery?

« Reply #16 on: 30 March, 2013, 07:16:53 pm »
As part of the ongoing kitchen project, MrsH has decided that she wants some variable coloured LED strip lighting on top of the cabinets. Kit duly bought, the "colour fade" option is way too fast, and reminiscent of a 1970s disco rather than a soothing almost imperceptible shift.

So I dug out the old STK500 AVR dev kit to start building a new controller, deciding upon an ATMEGA8 microcontroller. First bit was to receive commands from quite nice looking IR remote control from the LED kit - solved used a TSOP4138 38khz IR receiver into a data pin on the AVR, and hack together some software to decode the RC5 and show the output on the LEDs on the dev board. I learnt more than I ever wanted to do about IR remotes in the process.

Then I hooked up a HD44780 LCD display that I'd had hanging around and meant to learn how to use, in order to be able to check what codes are being sent. Follow that up by writing some 4 channel PWM code to allow control of the LEDs (RGB above the cupboards, plus add in control for the white LEDs being used as under cupboard lights) and check this works by driving the LEDs on the dev board.

Now most of the IR buttons are mapped to reasonable functions in the software (presets for colours, etc., plus some additional ones to enable individual control of each LED brightness so I can run it in the kitchen, check what the RGB values for good colour combinations are the LCD and hard code those  to preset buttons later.)

Just got to write the code for doing fades etc., and storing the current settings in EEPROM so that it powers up in the mode it was left in, then rebuild the circuit into a small project box (minus LCD, but with a header so I can plug it in for debug).

It's ages since I did any small microcontroller work, it's very satisfying.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 30 March, 2013, 08:56:28 pm »
Started looking for a Roomba. Because robots. And filth. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #18 on: 31 March, 2013, 11:30:56 am »

No.  This is merely putting things right, before launching on a bloodstained vendetta against the muppet in your workplace who has a hardon for using Excel as a database. 

I have an asset/workshop database schema to build and test before doing something similar.  All of our asset information is in spreadsheets, with non-standardised layouts, duplicate entries for some assets, and multiple assets in some entries.  Maybe 6-10,000 assets, so it's not that big a database but there's been no information management so far.

I think there will be blood spilt over this.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #19 on: 31 March, 2013, 12:47:21 pm »
Success.  a decent smartphone with loads of memory and good battery life. Phone was £50 on eBay. Extended battery for £7 and 32gb SD at for under £20.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #20 on: 31 March, 2013, 01:49:08 pm »

I often use a spreadsheet to create a series of SQL commands, if that's what you mean.
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #21 on: 31 March, 2013, 01:52:25 pm »
SSH'd into my TV recording box from a tablet (whilst still in bed) to check that the time was correct. It wasn't so I checked that ntpd was installed. It wasn't for some reason so I installed it :).
Pen Pusher

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #22 on: 31 March, 2013, 04:40:01 pm »
I gotta set up SSH on my server but that involves an utility bill to be sent to my hosting company which is hard to do when we are dossing/crashing at family atm.

My nerd missing to day is to get an old not much used iPod to talk to iTunes on windows, I wonder how fast a window fitter would come around on Easter Sunday?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: 01 April, 2013, 06:25:21 pm »
I tried to extend the memory in my phone using jibblage involving root but it all went horribly wrong, so now I'm copying over the SD card back up in the hope I can get it back the way it was at least... :-[
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #24 on: 03 April, 2013, 08:00:23 pm »
Attended gadget show live at NEC - does it get much geekier? And I mean in a bad way  ;D