Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 130351 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #1250 on: 06 March, 2021, 05:35:29 pm »
Following on from the disastrous upgrade to pfSense 2.5.0, I have performed a fresh install using ZFS as the filesystem, restored the configuration from backup (which went flawlessly, hurrah!) and created snapshots of the working system.

At least if another upgrade goes wrong I should be able to roll back the changes next time.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #1251 on: 06 March, 2021, 10:11:31 pm »
Not a fettle so much as a rescue. I was to blame, of course. Lucky it was a Saturday...

We're still using Zimbra at work, running on a Centos 7 VM. I'm due to migrate to O365 but I'll be sad to see Zimbra go. But the VM is full. So full, in fact, that the root drive filled to the last byte and it fell over. Cue a phone call from my PFY who doesn't really understand email and views it with much the same bemused condescension as he would a postcard.
A bit of panic later, I was able to run xfs_repair -L which prompts all sorts of scary warnings about pending transactions being deleted. It booted fine.
Then I deleted a load of backups and it had tons of spare space.
I have already increased the disk size twice so I'm up to the max of four primary partitions and further extension is more "dangerous" although dangerous by linux standards barely registers on the Windows scale of "reboot and pray" IME.

I guess it's time to be assimilated.
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.

« Reply #1252 on: 10 March, 2021, 03:29:26 pm »
Following on from the disastrous upgrade to pfSense 2.5.0, I have performed a fresh install using ZFS as the filesystem, restored the configuration from backup (which went flawlessly, hurrah!) and created snapshots of the working system.

At least if another upgrade goes wrong I should be able to roll back the changes next time.

I've deferred upgrading to 2.5 for now. Had a trawl through the open issues and figured too much stuff will be broken (Gateway groups/traffic shaping IIRC).
pfSense VM is backed up nightly to ZFS storage, with 21 days worth of snapshots retained, and restored to the backup server as a sort of poor-persons luke warm high availability. Oh and the config is backedup daily too. All belts and braces.
A Few Apples Short of a Strudel

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1253 on: 10 March, 2021, 05:42:21 pm »
Yeah, it was the traffic shaping that broke the config restore.

Mine's running on an APU4, and while I have a sufficiency of config backups, and figured any hardware failure would result in some screwdriver work and possibly a clean install, I hadn't really considered what happens if you aren't able to restore the config.

To that end I've archived the install image of the running version (as it appears they disappear from the website with each release), and set up the ZFS stuff for ease of rolling back errant upgrades.

2.5.0 seems to have fixed the bug where it would occasionally get itself into a state with no IPv4 default route, which is a major improvement.  It's still counting outbound bytes on the WAN interface twice (seems to be PPPoE related).  Lots of traffic shaper stuff has changed, and tbh I never fully wrapped my head around traffic shaping in the first place.  I've got a simple PRIQ setup that serves to prioritise ACKs and VOIP, and de-prioritise offsite backups and P2P, which are the only things that really matter for us.

There doesn't seem to be an elegant way to do L2TP failover to AAISP, as the tunnel takes priority over the DSL at their end.  Not that that's really a problem, as we've got a PAYG SIM that would need manually topping-up before non-trivial use anyway.  For now I'm leaving the L2TP interface disabled, in lieu of "enable this interface but keep it down unless brought up manually".
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #1254 on: 03 May, 2021, 05:30:00 pm »
I finally got round to updating my personal Nextcloud install. It probably wasn't a good idea to put it on an elderly 32bit Synology NAS but that was all that work had going spare...

I still can't get imagick installed, and the cron tasks last ran 7 months ago, so there's still a bit to do.
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.