Linked Events

• Cycle Show 2008: 10 October, 2008 - 12 October, 2008

Author Topic: Cycle Show 10-12th October - Earls Court  (Read 14763 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Cycle Show 10-12th October - Earls Court
« Reply #50 on: 08 October, 2008, 10:46:24 am »
Those of you that are going, if there is anyone handing out freebie lanyards, can you grab a couple for me please?

My HP ones are starting to look rather manky....

Contact a lanyard company and ask for samples for some fictitious event.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #51 on: 08 October, 2008, 11:46:03 am »
(Going OT, but then doesn't every discussion here...)

Having seen comments about train fares .... have to agree the "new regime" on simpler fares  ???  seems to have just hiked prices.   

Ignoring railcard discounts; there are really only 2 different train ticket prices Peak and Off-Peak (and another two for Peak/Off-Peak 1st class tickets).

All of the cheaper "advance" tickets (under whatever name you buy them) are subsidised by the Government. The train operators still receive full fare for these tickets. Every train that offers advance tickets has a set number of cheaper tickets at each of a set of discounted prices. Once the cheapest have sold out you get offered the next cheapest, etc, until all of the subsidised tickets are gone and you pay full whack.

(Simplified view but that's about it.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #52 on: 08 October, 2008, 12:52:17 pm »
Yay! I've won a pair of tickets from londoncyclechic.blogspot.com  ! :D

I'll be mostly sleeping on the Saturday after the FNRttC, so I'll go on the Sunday.

Rob is going out on the pish for a mate's bday on Sat night, so I will have to question him as to the likelihood of him surfacing some time before late afternoon on Sunday...there may or may not be one going spare... ::-)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #53 on: 08 October, 2008, 01:59:10 pm »
Yay! I've won a pair of tickets from londoncyclechic.blogspot.com  ! :D

I'll be mostly sleeping on the Saturday after the FNRttC, so I'll go on the Sunday.

Rob is going out on the pish for a mate's bday on Sat night, so I will have to question him as to the likelihood of him surfacing some time before late afternoon on Sunday...there may or may not be one going spare... ::-)

If there's a spare one can I smile at you please? 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #54 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:26:49 pm »
Certainly.

I need to stress to him that I will be Very Angry Indeed if he says he'll come and then spends most of Sunday comatose/hungover, thus wasting the ticket. And also that leaving just in time to grab the last hour is not an option.

fuzzy

« Reply #55 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:29:20 pm »
It looks like I will be standing post at the Public Safety Cycling (Police/ EMS) stand on Friday. Come and say hello.

If I'm not there, I will be wandering round and dribbling.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:31:14 pm »
:)  If we're there, we will be over.
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #57 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:40:52 pm »
It looks like I will be standing post at the Public Safety Cycling (Police/ EMS) stand on Friday. Come and say hello.

Please don't dribble over the same bikes as I want to dribble over.  The last thing I need is sloppy seconds...  ;D

Green Party Councillor

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #58 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:50:32 pm »
I will be at work. Can someone pinch the new/retro Bianchi for me? Shame about the A-head set up.....57cm will be fine.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

fuzzy

« Reply #59 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:51:07 pm »

Please don't dribble over the same bikes as I want to dribble over.  The last thing I need is sloppy seconds...  ;D

Oooh! YACF formation dribbling team :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #60 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:51:50 pm »
I will be at work. Can someone pinch the new/retro Bianchi for me? Shame about the A-head set up.....57cm will be fine.

Lightweight!

I will be at work too ;)

« Reply #61 on: 08 October, 2008, 06:50:08 pm »
The Things will be attending on Saturday. Partly 'cos we need to see  Ruth & John at JD cycles following our test rides a couple of weeks ago (and to pick up Joth's phone which we managed to leave behind). It might be a very expensive day......

I will also be looking at fixed bikes, as the company we ordered the steamroller from failed to actually get one in stock. Brick lanes bikes are exhibiting and I believe may still have 2008 steamrollers. It might be a very, very expensive day.......

Emma
California Dreaming

« Reply #62 on: 08 October, 2008, 08:22:24 pm »

i'll try and find you to say hello :thumbsup:
as long as you promise not to dribble while i'm there :hand: ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #63 on: 08 October, 2008, 08:58:56 pm »

i'll try and find you to say hello :thumbsup:
as long as you promise not to dribble while i'm there :hand: ;D

Fear not. If I'm at the stand, I won't have owt to dribble over

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 09 October, 2008, 09:34:23 am »
:( Not coming now - it's been vetoed by the junior member of the party, with the words:

'Haven't I done enough cycle events this year?' ;D

No, lad, tha a'n't ;)
Getting there...

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #65 on: 09 October, 2008, 09:44:35 am »
Yon lad needs a reet good thrashing!

Tha' knows.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #66 on: 09 October, 2008, 09:46:30 am »
Rob says he does not plan on waking up in time for cycle shows on Sunday.

So I could give his ticket to you, Greg.

Not that people who make unkind comments about women's bottoms deserve such kindness, mind...  ::-)  ;D

Regulator

« Reply #67 on: 09 October, 2008, 09:47:19 am »
Rob says he does not plan on waking up in time for cycle shows on Sunday.

So I could give his ticket to you, Greg.

Not that people who make unkind comments about women's bottoms deserve such kindness, mind...  ::-)  ;D

It was meant as a compliment, honest...  :-*

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #68 on: 09 October, 2008, 11:50:29 am »
Yeah yeah...

So prob easiest to meet outside then? I was thinking of rolling up around midday-ish...

« Reply #69 on: 09 October, 2008, 11:51:35 am »
Can any locals recommend somewhere to go in the evening ?
I'm thinking of a few drinks and something to eat.
Usually when I'm in London I wander around looking at restaurants and, when I get fed-up/bored/confused, choose the best looking one.
We're staying at Canary Wharf so anywhere between Earls Court and there would be good.

Thanks !

« Reply #70 on: 09 October, 2008, 11:57:36 am »
We're staying at Canary Wharf so anywhere between Earls Court and there would be good.

Thanks !

that's about the whole of London, CB...

« Reply #71 on: 09 October, 2008, 05:26:57 pm »

Thanks !

that's about the whole of London, CB...

Ah. I see what you mean  ;D
Did I say I'm not from these parts ?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #72 on: 09 October, 2008, 05:42:41 pm »
Vern and I will be there tomorrow, not that I'll be buying much since some Dutch bloke has just run off with me savings and I don't know when I'll see them again - ho hum  ;).

Hope to see some of you.

Fuzzy, do I just walk up to stall and say "Is Fuzzy here?"

I think I can recognise Charlotte.

Anybody else?

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #73 on: 09 October, 2008, 05:57:35 pm »
Just back from a couple of hours at the trade day. I didn't look at the bling, as I can't afford it but here' s some more offbeat stuff (apologies some of this isn't news but I don't get out much)

Hope have got a CNC machine on their stand and are making souvenir hubs before your very eyes

Charge's stand is perhap even wackier then last year - when they had a full-scale  model of my kitchen

Pashley have a reworked Guvnor - a bike I fell in love with last year  - with gold plated lugs and a tiny chainwheel

Don't miss the Boma - an 4x4 wheelchair! There is also a quadricycle (the SupportFeetz) that folds into a wheeled zimmer frame!

There are some bike caravans -  little tents that fold out of trailers!!

Like last year the CTC stand is large, empty and apparently aimless - perhaps this will pick up on public days

It wasn't brilliant for freebies, perhaps as we were all there to do business (Yeah, right) but there plenty of jelly beans in normal and energy formulations and cake bar samples. The Cape Argus cycle tour stand has some nice metal bicycle-shaped keyrings made of bent wire.

Bike parking is indoor and protected like last year so you don't need a lock.

Dropped onto the Bishop Simeon stand and got into a discussion about how hard Charlotte is - decided I won't be doing that ride next year.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #74 on: 09 October, 2008, 06:02:34 pm »
Forgot to add that "He who shall not be named outside of 'Elsewhere'" was there. First time I've ever seen him in the flesh.

As I also now seem to be an involuntarily non-member of a forum of which I shall not speak I didn't go up and say hello.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie