Author Topic: Small camping kettle recommendations  (Read 10472 times)

Small camping kettle recommendations
« on: 11 July, 2013, 02:16:31 pm »
Some time back I passed up the opportunity to buy a pretty tiny alloy camping kettle for about £8 on the grounds that "I didn't really need it".
Since then of course I've come across about 5 or 6 times when I could have done with one!

With the DunRun coming up I feel a need for a little kettle to make a brew somewhere out in the "wilds".

Any suggestions or recommendations (size: about big enough for a cup of tea, so 0.5-0.7l).

Chris N

Re: Small camping kettle recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2013, 02:59:41 pm »
Why use a kettle?  If it's just you, use a big mug - like an Alpkit MyTiMug or similar.

« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2013, 03:11:57 pm »
I have a one cup Trangia kettle  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2013, 04:49:18 pm »
+1 for the small Trangia.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2013, 04:53:41 pm »
Well done you for wanting a kettle and I would also recommend a Trangia kettle for they are both small and cute.  Yes, of course you could just use a Ti mug and this is the sensible option.  But a kettle is so much more civilised.  And they are very cute.  And that matters - a lot  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »
MSR do a nice little kettle that also doubles as a teapot.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2013, 05:45:20 pm »
Trangia kettles are small and cute, but come in two sizes, and the big one won't fit in the small Trangia (DAHIKT).

Not being a coffee/tea drinker, I'm happy to use a pan (or titanium mug) on the odd occasion I want a hot drink.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2013, 05:56:39 pm »
I have a one litre GSI Halulite Camping Kettle that I bought in REI in Seattle before our West cost trip. 

Turns out that it's one of Ray Mears' bits of recommended kit and I can understand why.  It's as light as Ti (165g), but built stronger and it's just as good over a Trangia as it is over an open flame.  It's done shedloads of camping with me - as well a Dun Run or two - and it's still in brilliant condition, considering the grief I've given it.

Highly recommended :thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2013, 06:45:01 pm »
Does it fit the smaller Trangia?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2013, 06:47:12 pm »
Marketroid speak for aluminium?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2013, 07:46:44 pm »
Camp kettle?
♪ I'm a little teapot short and stout...♫

I'm really surprised Roger's post wasn't on the same lines
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2013, 07:54:08 pm »
Tesco circa £4
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2013, 11:59:26 am »
Thanks all,
Found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001ANF75Y?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=idealocouk-21&childASIN=B001ANF75Y
Which is quite close to Charlotte's recommendation. Irritatingly, Amazon seem like the cheapest place to buy it from.

« Reply #13 on: 15 July, 2013, 11:40:59 am »
Has anyone tried any of the folding kettles with a stainless steel base and silicon upper?

« Reply #14 on: 15 July, 2013, 12:45:08 pm »
Has anyone tried any of the folding kettles with a stainless steel base and silicon upper?
Someone was using one at our meet this weekend. She was really happy with it.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 15 July, 2013, 04:08:27 pm »
Although I like the look of a good camping kettle (and we have a couple), I really can't see a reason to take one on a trip.  I use the smaller pan of the two we carry to boil up water, then put the teabags in just as it boils.  Mashes a grand brew - kettle and teapot in one, yet available for other cooking duties if necessary.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 15 July, 2013, 04:12:27 pm »
I'm inclined to agree, though I think it's just my non-tea-drinker bias showing.

If you've got a pan that you can pour liquids out of in a reasonably controlled manner, a kettle seems redundant.

Unless it's a big one with a whistle, of course.  That makes some sense.

« Reply #17 on: 23 July, 2013, 02:49:56 pm »
Used it on the DunRun and glad to have had it. We used a decent sized mess tin for the food, which was then a complete mess, so could not be used for boiling water without a good clean. The kettle was used three times overall.

I agree, small pans with a lid are fine, but if you have no facilities to wash stuff, then you need one pan set aside for boiling water. In which case it might as well be a kettle.

Too bad it's too wide to nest in anything, but my bag had plenty of room.

« Reply #18 on: 23 July, 2013, 06:37:41 pm »
The advantage of using a second pan is that it can nest in the bigger pan and can have the cups inside it.

rogerzilla

« Reply #19 on: 17 August, 2013, 08:26:44 pm »
Advantages of a kettle:

1. Boils quicker due to less heat loss
2. No risk of greasy spots in your drinks (ugh) from improperly cleaned pans - and you have to SERIOUSLY clean a pan with lots of detergent to avoid this

My 1 litre kettle has a removable handle which makes it somewhat easier to pack.  I agree that it is a bit of a space hog.

Aluminium contamination, if it exists, is a non-issue with hard water as the thing soon gets coated with limescale internally.

« Reply #20 on: 17 August, 2013, 08:33:44 pm »
Advantages of a kettle:

1. Boils quicker due to less heat loss
2. No risk of greasy spots in your drinks (ugh) from improperly cleaned pans - and you have to SERIOUSLY clean a pan with lots of detergent to avoid this

Number 2 is less of an issue for vegetarians who don't fry stuff when camping. We mostly eat pasta or spelt which aren't greasy.

rogerzilla

« Reply #21 on: 17 August, 2013, 08:49:10 pm »
Pasta sauces usually have a lot of oil in them, though (the lazy camper's tea being a bushel of pasta and a jar of Dolmio).

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #22 on: 18 August, 2013, 06:43:49 pm »
Cotswold Outdoor have camping kettles on sale at moment. Had to remind myself that a pan with lid is all I need, er, I think....

« Reply #23 on: 18 August, 2013, 07:56:27 pm »
Neat though things like the GSI Halulite are, I have to agree with others, that they're not the most compact item for minimalist camping.  I've got a similar small aluminium kettle, and unlike a small pan, it's hard to pack stuff inside it, because the opening isn't as large (compared to the body size) as with a pan.  I've got small pans with lids, so they'll boil as fast as a kettle, they just don't pour quite as easily.

The folding kettles looks interesting, and would match my folding cup, bowl, and plate, but I would be worried about using them on wood burning stoves, with the risk of the flames being outside the metal base, and damaging the plastic/silicone.

An interesting argument I've seen in favour of the ones in which the upper body is entirely silicone, is that since silicone is a good insulator, they'll loose less heat when exposed to the wind, so the water will boil faster, and use less fuel.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LEE

« Reply #24 on: 18 August, 2013, 09:01:51 pm »
I understand that a pan can boil water BUT a kettle can't do anything else. It's always there, for that brew.

My point is that you may have pans cacked-up with egg and Cassoulet first thing in the morning, when you really need a brew, before facing the washing up.

I have a Trangia kettle, it fits inside the Trangia pans (and the burner fits inside the kettle) so it's minimal hassle.

No matter what state my pans are in it's always available...just for a brew.