Author Topic: Cycling and praying in North Yorkshire  (Read 1393 times)

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
Cycling and praying in North Yorkshire
« on: 08 July, 2013, 10:05:41 pm »
We had our fifth annual "Halo Velo" bicycle ride this weekend.  This was the reason I couldn't join the Friday Night Ride to Tan Hill (which I really wanted to do as well).  It was a blisteringly hot day.

For those interested, we ride round every church in the Stokesley Deanery to pray for the community based at each.  It is a way of helping us to remember we are part of something bigger, and to help the remote communities know that they are not alone.  On top of the joy of being part of a large community of Christians... we had a rather fantastic bicycle ride.  Some brief notes are here.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Cycling and praying in North Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2013, 12:35:36 am »
Graeme, knowing that area makes your report very interesting for me.  My Grandad died in Hemlington hospital, if it's Hemlington fairly near Acklam, though I was in Africa at the time.  One of my many brothers lived opposite the "borstal" at Four Lane Ends, Kirklevington.  Jean and I used to ride out on the motorbike and sidecar to drink at the pub in Seamer (used to have great horse-brasses).  Used to sing at the Black Swan (I think) in Swainby.  Had one of the most chastening moments of my life on a descent into Chop Yat as a teenager - had tools strapped to the seat-post and the tang of a pair of pliers had just failed to wear through the bulging bit of a failing tyre!

I, too, did 75 miles on July 6th - and took a photograph of a church!

Thanks!

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2013, 01:07:43 pm »
Sounds good Graeme. A privileged day from the sound of it

Mike

« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2013, 01:15:14 pm »
Cracking!