Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 139139 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #975 on: April 13, 2021, 12:41:25 am »
I'm sure in days of yore, French traffic lights went to flashing amber overnight, especially in rural towns, I can't remember when that changed.
Dunno if they still do it, but a lot of Dutch traffic lights used to do that. Handy when cycling home pissed enough to have difficulty re-starting after stopping. Seemed to be quite a few locals doing that.

This was the mid-1980s, when I worked in Utrecht.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #976 on: April 13, 2021, 10:18:18 am »
I'm sure in days of yore, French traffic lights went to flashing amber overnight, especially in rural towns, I can't remember when that changed.
Dunno if they still do it, but a lot of Dutch traffic lights used to do that. Handy when cycling home pissed enough to have difficulty re-starting after stopping. Seemed to be quite a few locals doing that.

This was the mid-1980s, when I worked in Utrecht.
All I know is that cycling along Hole's Bay Road one night, I'm the only vehicle around, approaching a traffic light, green, green, green from in the distance... then it turns red as I approach! The only impetus was me.

I have since observed that light change to red for approaching motorists, and it'll change back to green shortly afterwards. But at the time I thought it was programmed by a "get orf the road" type, being situated on a dual carriageway with an adjacent cycleway.

« Reply #977 on: April 30, 2021, 02:45:15 pm »
Only one free spot on the Sheffield stands, next to another bike. I go to lock up my bike and it's got a fuxxing alarmed lock. Proper loud too. Even the slightest wobble sets it off. Grrrr.