Author Topic: Airnimal swap?  (Read 3068 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Airnimal swap?
« on: 17 November, 2013, 06:17:01 pm »

I have a silver Airnimal Chameleon; I am the second owner it was new in 2006 I think built up by first owner from parts.

I have owned it since 2009. Have been entirely  happy ; one trip by air to S France last winter where I did a week’s cycling with FFCT members; who were impressed that I could ride all day on ‘a folder’ and keep up.  ‘Quand tu es arrivé nous pensions que le vélo n’était pas complet!’ ( A little flagwaving there).

Now, I’m thinking of swapping to a flat bar version ; ‘cos I’m 57 and my neck gets stiff and all my other bikes are ‘hybrid’ or flat bar tourers.
SO – should I just try and convert this one – or sell it on and buy the Joey, which will offer chunkier tyres (1.25” I think is on the Joey.  The current tyres are Schwalbe Durano 23-520 and I don’t think I can get a bigger tyre to fit.  Might lose some gear range ; I calculate I have 37 – 106” on the present compact setup – vis.

Some of the original frames suffered metal fatigue; this one looks OK.

Mine’s had a bit of paint scrapes from use and folding/packing

Few Airnimal stockists offer a try before you buy or would offer a trade in (well, I only have dealt with Spa in Harrogate for spares and Bicycle Hub in Ironbridge for windowshopping) . As I’m in far West Wales, so a trip up to the smoke is not so easy. Maybe Bikefix, or CHWhite , in Malmesbury are keener to stock a range or even have the panoply of try before you buy’ bikes. How about Airnimal ‘factory’ in Cambridgeshire – should I go there?

Final photos

Si

Re: Airnimal swap?
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2013, 04:30:53 pm »
The current tyres are Schwalbe Durano 23-520 and I don’t think I can get a bigger tyre to fit.

I note that this is a slightly old post but might still be of some help: I got 28mm panracers in quite happily with mud guards, and very comfortable they were too.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2014, 05:44:53 pm »
It's for sale now on CTC Forum (whence it came).

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=82853

I note there's a Joey for sale there too, but need to lose one before another is purchased

« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2014, 08:19:29 pm »
I know this is an old thread but I have 40mm tyres on my Joey - very comfortable.  ;D