Author Topic: Dental questions  (Read 26857 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Dental questions
« Reply #100 on: 01 March, 2022, 01:59:14 am »
Chlorhexidine: It works, as long as you don't want to taste anything for the next 6 hours or so.

Go argue with fboab, seems that teeth staining and brown tongue are a thing too. So maybe this is better at night and peroxide after the first brush of the day.

EDIT: That line comes accross as rude, am sorry i wasn't meant that way.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #101 on: 05 March, 2022, 06:58:39 pm »
Chlorhexidine: It works, as long as you don't want to taste anything for the next 6 hours or so.

Go argue with fboab, seems that teeth staining and brown tongue are a thing too. So maybe this is better at night and peroxide after the first brush of the day.

Chlorhexidine is what I've been told to use after my implant surgery.  It does stain the teeth, but my were already stained from using it to control the infections I was getting in the tooth that was taken out and triggered the need for implant surgery.  Fortunately there was enough good bone to anchor the implant
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #102 on: 05 March, 2022, 07:28:26 pm »
I think staining would be fairly low on my list of concerns.  If I've got an infection that merits chlorhexidine, I want it to work quickly, which it generally does.

The loss of taste is less of a problem if it already hurts to eat.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #103 on: 05 March, 2022, 10:05:38 pm »

Chlorhexidine is what I've been told to use after my implant surgery.  It does stain the teeth, but my were already stained from using it to control the infections I was getting in the tooth that was taken out and triggered the need for implant surgery.  Fortunately there was enough good bone to anchor the implant

Suspect that there might be a higher strength than over the counter job.

Have used the dentist stuff in the past and found that my tongue went brown.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #104 on: 05 March, 2022, 10:10:51 pm »
I think staining would be fairly low on my list of concerns.  If I've got an infection that merits chlorhexidine, I want it to work quickly, which it generally does.

The loss of taste is less of a problem if it already hurts to eat.

Sorry for the rude comment.

Haven't got an infection, I think.  Can't even trace the source of the blood after brushing.  Doesn't hurt to eat.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #105 on: 07 December, 2022, 06:58:55 pm »
Are dentures a state of mind? Can they become acceptable after a while? As other much worse stuff?

According to 2 dentists (this 69 year old dog, slow to learn new tricks) had no realistic other options for 3 smack dab in the middle lower front ex teeth.

Lower jaw bone sufficiently rotted, meaning only possible alternative is bone reconstruction - always mentioned in a less than convincing fingers crossed, maybe? manner, not to mention with lots of sucking through their young dentists' lovely teeth. Hinted at costs would be impossible to meet any road up.

So, had an NHS 3 tooth jobbie done in June = £245. Gave it 3 months enduring endless adjustments almost weekly. Everything sort of fine apart from gobbing and sneezing and eating. The former two were scary like there could be a hair triggered weapon in me mouth, ready to launch without any safety catch. The latter, food instantly stuck under plate = uncomfortable and totally minging :sick:

After further discussions, went down a replacement private denture (BUPA) £1024 route - was told it would be better. It was fitted last week and whilst it is a lot less bulky, cosmetically very superior and more securely fitted, eating is still distressing and just as minging :sick:

Can I adapt?

Or have I just spaffed a load of dosh and dare not complain too much cos one does not want to lose any dentist in these current times?

« Reply #106 on: 07 December, 2022, 10:28:29 pm »
Are dentures a state of mind? Can they become acceptable after a while? As other much worse stuff?

According to 2 dentists (this 69 year old dog, slow to learn new tricks) had no realistic other options for 3 smack dab in the middle lower front ex teeth.

Lower jaw bone sufficiently rotted, meaning only possible alternative is bone reconstruction - always mentioned in a less than convincing fingers crossed, maybe? manner, not to mention with lots of sucking through their young dentists' lovely teeth. Hinted at costs would be impossible to meet any road up.

So, had an NHS 3 tooth jobbie done in June = £245. Gave it 3 months enduring endless adjustments almost weekly. Everything sort of fine apart from gobbing and sneezing and eating. The former two were scary like there could be a hair triggered weapon in me mouth, ready to launch without any safety catch. The latter, food instantly stuck under plate = uncomfortable and totally minging :sick:

After further discussions, went down a replacement private denture (BUPA) £1024 route - was told it would be better. It was fitted last week and whilst it is a lot less bulky, cosmetically very superior and more securely fitted, eating is still distressing and just as minging :sick:

Can I adapt?

Or have I just spaffed a load of dosh and dare not complain too much cos one does not want to lose any dentist in these current times?

I’ve had a plate with a front and a couple of other teeth for my upper teeth.
Originated after chewing a kerb in a race sprint.
I’ve been totally happy with it from day one, over 40 years I think.

« Reply #107 on: 08 December, 2022, 07:42:59 am »

I can only relate Mrs M's experiences with dentures. She was introduced to their delights about 4 years ago (when she was 62). She is not what I would class as adaptable or stoic.

Her denture thingy is more of a back teeth whatsit with a length of scaffolding anchoring it to adjacent teeth.
She was persuaded to go with the expensive non-nhs version due to the size and likelihood of greater acceptance.

She got used to it remarkably quickly, and is now very happy with the thing.
I still think it looks like a medieval torture device
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

tereck

« Reply #108 on: 08 December, 2022, 08:44:16 am »
It's also not good for your general health to have infection present anywhere in the body.

Yep, periodontitis is linked to all manner of other problems.

I'm currently undergoing treatment for periodontitis (I'm taking the long road, not that I knew it. Long story) I was in danger of losing 17 teeth apparently though that number has come down. What the current prognosis is for me on implants (or whatever) is, I don't know. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. The costs for the treatment so far are high enough so I can't see me paying more for implants. My dentist only has a Cannondale.

I really don't like the thought of my jaw being drilled and bits screwed in. The thought makes me a feel a but icky tbh.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #109 on: 08 December, 2022, 08:50:54 am »
An implant (front incisor) has worked for me. I hated my temporary denture.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #110 on: 08 December, 2022, 09:34:44 pm »
I really don't like the thought of my jaw being drilled and bits screwed in. The thought makes me a feel a but icky tbh.

D feels the same but is having preliminary implant work next week on ^7.

I wish I'd had the option 40 odd years ago when I lost my ^7. I have little bone and little on which to chew there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #111 on: 09 December, 2022, 05:45:06 pm »
Osseointegrated implants - either for teeth or hearing aids - certainly sound like type 2 fun.  But having grown up with my dad's denture[1] grumbles, and known barakta for some time now, I've become convinced that they're lower effort and generally less minging than the alternative.

[1] He lost incisors in a ballsports accident in his yoof, and proceeded to lose/break the dentures on an irregular basis throughout his adult life.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #112 on: 18 December, 2022, 03:27:22 pm »
D feels the same but is having preliminary implant work next week on ^7.

D had initial surgery to place a post on Friday 16/12/22.
He refuses to take analgesics but seems to have slept well without but aches during the day.

He was given quite extensive paperwork to read and sign but had no aftercare leaflet. He's on antibiotics, which he takes as prescribed and regularly rinsing his mouth in salt.

Online postop advice seems somewhat contradictory.

The 'no dairy' thing is news to me and doesn't seem to feature on UK sites.
D is taking things fairly easy, doesn't smoke, vape, drink fizzies, drink alcohol or use straws anyway.
We're mostly eating soft stuffs anyway.
Advice about electric brushes is contradictory. D is using his but there's a dressing over the site and I'm sure he's gentle.

Is there anything SPECIFIC we should/should not be doing in the 2-7 days after surgery that yacfers who've had implants can suggest?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #113 on: 19 December, 2022, 04:48:53 pm »
Looking at my calendar, I seem to have lived life pretty much as usual post implant surgery.  It was on a Monday and I had a full week of work including evening events on the Tuesday and Thursday, did a club run on the following Sunday, and a week later did a stupidly hilly 300km in atrocious weather.  But from memory, the actual implant surgery was not as bad as the surgical extraction of tooth-1.  I might just have got lucky.  It was also done by a dentist who could afford dentists' bikes.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #114 on: 19 December, 2022, 05:08:10 pm »
Looking at my calendar, I seem to have lived life pretty much as usual post implant surgery.  It was on a Monday and I had a full week of work including evening events on the Tuesday and Thursday, did a club run on the following Sunday, and a week later did a stupidly hilly 300km in atrocious weather.  But from memory, the actual implant surgery was not as bad as the surgical extraction of tooth-1.  I might just have got lucky.  It was also done by a dentist who could afford dentists' bikes.
Similar to my experience - except I skimped on the salt mouthwash and ended up with a horrible infection.
My dentist sorted the sloughed off gum and reconstructed the mess within the original quote.
He too could afford the sort of carS he owned.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #115 on: 19 December, 2022, 05:58:55 pm »
Similar to my experience - except I skimped on the salt mouthwash and ended up with a horrible infection.
My dentist sorted the sloughed off gum and reconstructed the mess within the original quote.
He too could afford the sort of carS he owned.

I didn't skimp on the mouthwash.  The implant was installed at an angle as there was quite shadow on the gum at the root (pardon the pun) of the trouble with the old tooth and some narrowing of the underlying jaw - probaby as a result of repeat infections over the previous years.  However, he packed the hole with shavings from the implant hole and according to the x-rays the jaw is almost back to normal now.  Perhaps the hardest thing to get used to was chewing on that side again (once I had the crown fitted), after having avoided it for several months.  I also had a degree of ache on the opposite (top) jaw once the crown had been fitted, partly for the same reason.