Author Topic: Dental questions  (Read 26630 times)

Re: Dental Implants anyone have them?
« Reply #25 on: 07 March, 2014, 09:38:34 am »
I suspect many of us who are considering implants now were victims of the paid-by-piecework NHS cheap & nasty drill & fill dental monsters of the '60s & 70s.
We had no sugar rationing, cheap sweets and no fluoride in the water or toothpaste.

I refused to visit a dentist when I realised they were paid on piecework. I was 14.
I was in Australia during that period. Our dentist was a customer of my parents who owed my parents money. He worked off his debt in dental work. My brother and I had a lot of fillings . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 07 March, 2014, 02:14:40 pm »
Decided to have implants. Scans show bone is good and should take them. Appointment made for the 17th March. I hate these dentures.

Good Luck!
Hope it goes well!

Those I know with implants do not regret their spendy not-very-conspicuous consumption.

« Reply #27 on: 08 March, 2014, 09:07:14 am »
Decided to have implants. Scans show bone is good and should take them. Appointment made for the 17th March. I hate these dentures.
I persevered with dentures for 4 years but have now decided to try a bridge.  Like you I will be under the drill on the 17th to have my teeth shaped to suit.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #28 on: 08 March, 2014, 12:02:58 pm »

I had my implant fitted ten days ago. The injects were painful, but apart from that it wasn't too bad and I didn't have too much swelling. Two days after the surgery I was back to run training. I now have to wait 3½ months for the implant to settle down before a mould is taken for the new crown, so I'm stuck with the temporary denture until late June / early July.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #29 on: 08 March, 2014, 12:03:26 pm »
I persevered with dentures for 4 years but have now decided to try a bridge.  Like you I will be under the drill on the 17th to have my teeth shaped to suit.

Hope it goes well for you. I was happy with my bridge (be careful when eating apples and French bread) but the tooth carrying it became infected so had to come out.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #30 on: 08 March, 2014, 12:05:19 pm »

I had my implant fitted ten days ago. The injects were painful, but apart from that it wasn't too bad and I didn't have too much swelling. Two days after the surgery I was back to run training. I now have to wait 3½ months for the implant to settle down before a mould is taken for the new crown, so I'm stuck with the temporary denture until late June / early July.

Don't want to know about the painful bit.  ;D ;D
Home

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #31 on: 08 March, 2014, 12:07:57 pm »
Don't want to know about the painful bit.  ;D ;D

Well once you've had the injections you won't feel any pain! (Just make sure you've got a supply of your choice pain killer at home for when the anaesthetic has worn off and ice cubes for any swelling.)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 08 March, 2014, 12:15:45 pm »
My daughter is in the process of having implants for the front teeth she knocked out around her 10th birthday. I found the teeth and they were put back by the chap on A & E, but now, almost 18 years later, one has broken and they need to be replaced. Bloody expensive. You could get a very good bike for the price of each one!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #33 on: 17 March, 2014, 01:12:11 pm »
Implants done took about 45 minutes in total to do the two. Numbness starting to wear off so next few hours could be painful.
Home

« Reply #34 on: 18 March, 2014, 07:36:56 pm »
mmmmmmmm

10 injections in total- 6 in roof of mouth- lovely

Oh and then 30 mins of drilling and while no pain at all the thought of what he was doing and my gum being open was not pleasant

Still £3,800 (for 2) and a few days alter and all was well.

7 years ago and no trouble

« Reply #35 on: 19 March, 2014, 11:01:32 am »
This is all gruesomely interesting!  I am just about to have a lower pre-molar LR5 extracted.  The 4 is also missing, though the gap has been closed by the other teeth gradually moving.  i'm concerned about being able to chew properly on that side in the future (I have all the upper Rs).  I have been told by the dentist that thee are 3 possible treatments: implant, bridge or denture.  I have heard that implants may be at risk if you grind your teeth  - which I do, having supported Newcastle all my life.  Does anyone have any thoughts about bruxism v implants?

« Reply #36 on: 19 March, 2014, 11:35:16 am »
As I stated on an early post; I had a bridge but the tooth carrying it became infected.

I now had these two implants inserted on Monday and although my mouth is still sore I am not in any pain.

Hopefully after the 3+ months I have to wait for them to bond, I shall be enjoying two new teeth.
Home

« Reply #37 on: 19 March, 2014, 02:14:07 pm »
The big problem with bridges is it requires grinding away large quantities of (hopefully) perfectly good teeth either side of the gap.  These then have a far higher chance of failing at some point in the future (as all crowns do as opposed to natural teeth).  It's largely as a consequence of failing bridge supports that I've needed the vastly expensive implant treatments outlined above - still ongoing.

I was also told I had bruxism and so would need to have a toothguard made (an extra £700) and wear it every night.  I refused!  No issues regarding grinding so far.  I think they say this to minimise the risk to themselves of having to carry out any warranty treatment, and possibly as another revenue stream (I fully admit to being cynical as to the motives of most dentists!)
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #38 on: 30 October, 2014, 04:10:38 pm »
Finally got my new teeth today.  ;D ;D The whole process has taken 7 months but I am now very happy.  :)
Home

« Reply #39 on: 30 October, 2014, 09:05:52 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #40 on: 31 October, 2014, 12:23:57 am »
Excellent news, Backpacker!

I think my daughter is happy with hers. She definitely looks better than she did with the old teeth, which never really sat properly in her mouth. Her implants are a bit smaller as well.

Sadly, I don't think that there's anything much that can be done about her nose, which has never been the same after her bicycle accident 18 years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #41 on: 31 October, 2014, 11:39:33 am »

Sadly, I don't think that there's anything much that can be done about her nose, which has never been the same after her bicycle accident 8 years ago.

Can't blame an accident for my big nose, it just 'runs' in the family. ;)
Home

hondated

• Love everything with two wheels
« Reply #42 on: 26 November, 2014, 05:07:40 pm »
I suspect many of us who are considering implants now were victims of the paid-by-piecework NHS cheap & nasty drill & fill dental monsters of the '60s & 70s.
We had no sugar rationing, cheap sweets and no fluoride in the water or toothpaste.

I refused to visit a dentist when I realised they were paid on piecework. I was 14.
OMG you are spot on there and also the 50s. I can still smell the gas they used as I write this.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #43 on: 26 November, 2014, 05:37:15 pm »
I only had the gas once, nearly 50 years ago (January 1965). It's still my only GA to date.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #44 on: 22 December, 2014, 11:06:35 am »
I had a discussion with my dentist today about my manky capped tooth. The options he gave were:

• Denture - not eveyone likes them
  • Bridge - problematic because the tooth on one side is out of alignment and the one on the other has never had any work done on it so would need to be 'shaped'
  • Implant - would need a referral and would be very expensive, but is the best option in the dentist's opinion

There's no particular hurry to make a decision, but the manky cap isn't going to last for ever :-\

« Reply #45 on: 22 December, 2014, 04:53:21 pm »
These were the dentists that did mine, at all stages they were brilliant. I would highly recommend them: http://www.perfectdental.eu.com/
Home

« Reply #46 on: 22 December, 2014, 06:46:50 pm »
  • Denture - not eveyone likes them
  • Bridge - problematic because the tooth on one side is out of alignment and the one on the other has never had any work done on it so would need to be 'shaped'
  • Implant - would need a referral and would be very expensive, but is the best option in the dentist's opinion
Those were my options when a 40 year old cap broke away a couple of years ago.

I went for a denture because it is the least intrusive and I could always do something else if I did not get on with it.  I gave it a fair crack of the whip, 2 years and then I had a bridge fitted.  That was 6 months ago and I wish I'd done it sooner.  No more rubbing on the roof of my mouth and no more food trapped under the denture.  My bridge is attached on one side only and of course the supporting tooth needed to be shaped.  It is attached by a particularly strong cement and I went with a design that gave maximum contact area with the shaped tooth.  This is for strength.  I am more interested in strength than in cosmetic appearance, although it all looks good to me and I think the lab did a fine job.  The dentist says that I should have 20 years or so with no problems which suits me since I am in my mid 60s.  My only complaint about the bridge is that I do not have the confidence to eat bite into crisp hard apples and have to cut them up now.  With the cap or with the denture I could do that, but not now.

Perils of age.  I will be sucking my gums next.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #47 on: 30 March, 2015, 11:30:58 am »
Well, the decision has been made and the dentist is going to refer me to a mouth-mangler for assessment for a dental implant  :-\

« Reply #48 on: 31 March, 2015, 10:47:35 pm »
Mine were worth every penny.  :thumbsup:
Home

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #49 on: 21 April, 2015, 09:48:10 pm »
Went for an assessment this morning. The mouth mangling starts next month.