Author Topic: Mad Jack's (JSM) (21st) 125 km Saturday 22nd February 2020 @ 09.00  (Read 24948 times)

21th Mad Jack’s – John Seviour Memorial 125km Audax event Saturday 22th February 2020

A Classic Hilly Audax AAA event taking on some of the best Hills in East Sussex. Great scenery, challenging route unspoilt Sussex countryside. Mad Jack (John Fuller) was an eccentric 1800’s MP, who made numerous Obelisks/ follies around Brightling. These include the Needle, the Sugar Loaf, Tower and his Tomb in Brightling Church yard.  Highlights on the ride include- Penhurst Lane, Batemans (National Trust) (home of Rudyard Kipling), Willingford Lane- up to Brightling Needle (cat 2 climb), Brede Lane, Doleham Halt, Peter James Lane, Crazy Lane, plus more.
In Battle, you pass the spot where King Harold made his last stand and lost to William the conqueror (aka the b***ard!). Stop there a while and imagine back to 1066.
Hot drinks and various snacks at the start included. Start and finish in Hailsham. Cafe controls (x3) in Battle-Skarlets Café. Enter early to avoid disappointment!  No entries on the line.  An Audax Altitude qualifying event (AAA) & qualifying ride for Brevet des Grimpeurs du Sud. .   

John was a pioneer within Audax and rode the frist and second LEL, he passed away 11 years ago this year.

Entry forms/online entries (Pay pal) AUK website

Thank you for all your entries to date, closing date 12/2/2020

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-85/
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Re: Mad Jack's (JSM) 125 km 15th February
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2014, 01:17:33 pm »
Popped my audax cherry on this ride last year and another 4 hilly ones led to a Grimpeur du Sud badge. A great route. Little did I know what it would start (currently suffering RRTY anxiety - 3 down but bad weather predicted for January's ride this weekend..).

« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:11:26 pm »
Popped my audax cherry on this ride last year and another 4 hilly ones led to a Grimpeur du Sud badge. A great route. Little did I know what it would start (currently suffering RRTY anxiety - 3 down but bad weather predicted for January's ride this weekend..).

Don't look at me re: your cherry, not guilty me lord!  :-* But well done and keep it up   ;D

OK just a quick note for non members using pay pal, please only hit the pay button once! As the more times you hit the button the more times you pay and enter. Sorry but if I have to refund you, then you have to incur the pay pal fees  ::-)

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2014, 04:53:35 pm »
Hi, DNS alert - was keen to do this but half term has intervened and im going to be away.

« Reply #4 on: 24 January, 2014, 08:26:26 pm »
Thank you for all your entries, keep em coming  :thumbsup:. Better luck next time megatron. 

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2014, 06:19:59 pm »
Still time to enter and plenty of spaces available, the Cafe has said the more the merrier, so come on down for this classic.  :thumbsup: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-85/

« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2014, 06:41:04 pm »
Thanks again for all of the entries over the weekend, already over the original limit. Cafe happy and has said no limit...... So it really depends if the org can cope being a one man band ;)

Non members PLEASE only hit the pay pal button once if it's just for you, AP hit the button SEVEN times, unless there's seven of him!! 

Calm down dear its only a bike ride  ;D

« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2014, 07:40:40 pm »
Pay pay users, please return to the AUK web site after you have payed (by pay pal) as so to confirm that your payment has been sent, and then please download your route sheet.
Please do not hit the pay pal button again, otherwise you entry will appear on the AUK start sheet with multiple entries.

Thanks Org

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:32:05 pm »
I'm in - ECE'ing from Haywards Heath to make it a 200 (well, actually 228km in total but who's counting?)

I hear there's a few hills...

« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »
I'm in - ECE'ing from Haywards Heath to make it a 200 (well, actually 228km in total but who's counting?)

I hear there's a few hills...

Well done should make a good day awheel, think the Croydon massive hold the orginal record way back in the mists of time..
But TG camped a few years back and rode around then rode home all on an MTB with all the kit...
Look out for the national MTB champion using this for training too.. Could be a way forward using a full sus 29er and just hit everything  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 06 February, 2014, 07:03:26 pm »
Nine cards left.. Roll up roll up any more takers, final shout   :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 07 February, 2014, 12:54:44 am »
Nine cards left.. Roll up roll up any more takers, final shout   :thumbsup:

Eight.

(Well, one fewer than ten minutes ago anyway.)

Now to speak to that nice Mr Malins about ECEs 'n' stuff.

« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2014, 06:31:01 pm »
Route checked, Sussex has endured the wettest January since records began in 1910. The outcome of this is that some of the descents are awash with gravel and mud washed from adjacent fields, be mindful of this. I recommend (as per usual) winter tyres and new brake blocks, there is a new bike shop in Hailsham and I am aware that some of you used this for Hills and Mills, (rebicycled, The Old Forge, High Street, Hailsham, BN27 1AN). Why not do your maintenance before you start and save time and energy!  :o

Updated route sheet available- http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-85/
There are 6 info controls that need answers, failure to gather these will result in your brevet card being handed back to you not validated, we will prompt you throughout the day but not at the finish... ::-)

Please note- there is no longer access to the leisure center rear entrance via the fire doors, please use the front reception to gain access to the Cafe and the final control.

Thanks,

Org

« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2014, 09:42:32 am »
Final route sheet amendments (mainly typos removed thank you proof reader!)  :thumbsup:
See link on calendar page or up here^.
Still 8 cards left, if you have blown the cobwebs out on the H&M and WWW, go on the GPS series awaits and you know is makes sence  ;D

« Reply #14 on: 08 February, 2014, 10:22:47 am »

John and Tim. Start of the London Sightseer September 2004

« Reply #15 on: 08 February, 2014, 11:03:46 am »

Mad Jacks class of 2000 @ EL Supremos control at the top of Penhurst.

Riders from >>>> L to R- George, ?, ?, Tony, Peter, Derick, Paul. ?, ?, Richard T, Ian H hiding (this is when you rode it!!) Dave, El Supremo (in the back of trailer) Pauline, Cant remember? Chris, Cant remember- Mike B and Rob.

« Reply #16 on: 08 February, 2014, 01:23:46 pm »
More updates........ Battle Cafe re: named Scarlet's, it's pink you wont miss it!  :o

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 08 February, 2014, 01:38:57 pm »
Scarlet's written in pink was very difficult for me to read against a grey background on my computer. I had to highlight it!

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #18 on: 08 February, 2014, 01:45:20 pm »
That should be L to R for the photo.    Stars like Chris, Pauline and George  etc were so obvious to me, that I could not understand at first why you did not mention them........then the penny dropped.

« Reply #19 on: 08 February, 2014, 01:52:59 pm »
Scarlets written in pink was very difficult for me to read against a grey background on my computer. I had to highlight it!

Well the Cafes Pink and you've guessed it, it's full of Girls (staff)  :-*, still 8 cards left Chaps  :thumbsup: 

« Reply #20 on: 08 February, 2014, 01:55:33 pm »
That should be L to R for the photo.    Stars like Chris, Pauline and George  etc were so obvious to me, that I could not understand at first why you did not mention them........then the penny dropped.

Yup list of Old skoll goes >>>>> (yes your right). Not riding then.... See above posting  :thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 10 February, 2014, 09:45:18 am »
Warning off subject- GBR 1st ever winter Olympic medal on Snow, go Jones  :-*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26108458

rob

« Reply #22 on: 10 February, 2014, 10:11:45 am »
Riders from >>>> L to R- George, ?, ?, Tony, Peter, Derick, Paul. ?, ?, Richard T, Ian H hiding (this is when you rode it!!) Dave, El Supremo (in the back of trailer) Pauline, Cant remember? Chris, Cant remember- could be Steve and Rob.

Mick Brockwell

God that's an old photo....

Rob

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #23 on: 10 February, 2014, 10:51:35 am »
These nostalgia photos are great MJ.    Glad to see that you have a better memory for faces than Tim W !
Sorry not to be able to ride this one this year.   But really enjoyed myself on this route last year.

« Reply #24 on: 10 February, 2014, 05:20:47 pm »
Robert Bullyment you look young there!!  ;D ;D One wonders is it David (Swampy) Stevens I see in Woolley hat??