Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 155110 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
This Unit is currently pondering the "logic" by which someone decides to include 11560 files (occupying 3.8 MB) of type .mat in his game mod, of which precisely one (1) is actually needed :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• What’s this do?
  • I’ve always wondered where this was
I’m worried. I’ve just renewed my driving licence on line. It was a government website. It was sensible and all worked and even the payment was reasonable. I’m sure I must have used a scam site.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Kim

• Timelord
I’m worried. I’ve just renewed my driving licence on line. It was a government website. It was sensible and all worked and even the payment was reasonable. I’m sure I must have used a scam site.

It's okay, the process will be thwarted by everyone at the DVLA coming down with coronavirus.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

A friend in Swansea got her second vaccine dose today. She's 80. Seems a bit late for someone her age. Doesn't bode well for the DVLA staff.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Beardy

• What’s this do?
  • I’ve always wondered where this was

It's okay, the process will be thwarted by everyone at the DVLA coming down with coronavirus.
As I’ve reported elsewhere, I’ve already received my new driving licence which kind of negates the scam angle. Apart from the inclusion of the Union Jack on the licence and the use of my passport photo with no offers alternative, the whole thing has been efficient and cheap. I’m shocked.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Of course the BIOS* switch to disable Bluetooth is filed under, "Security" after all, it's not as if it has anything to do with networks or comms is it?

*An ancient Thinkpad T520
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
There's an argument for putting it under 'sanity' I suppose.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
This Unit is currently pondering the "logic" by which someone decides to include 11560 files (occupying 3.8 MB) of type .mat in his game mod, of which precisely one (1) is actually needed :facepalm:

This Unit is now pondering the “logic” by which someone decides to include a couple of hundred files of type .mat in his game mod when a little application of common sense could have cut that number to seven (7) :facepalm: :facepalm:

So this morning I got the text of doom from my wife... "no internet".  I ask if the landline is ok. "no addresses listed"  ???   Does it have a dial tone  "yes".  Ok, so ask her to check the Deco (the "white round thing on the widowsill" and see if it has a green light on it  "no". Hmm.   Ok, so the mesh wifi is down.  At this point I decide it's simple to call her, and remind her how to turn on both the iMac and it's mouse, and hey, presto!, we have internet (it's cabled to the router).  It's at this point she tells me "the white flying saucer - it's got a red light on". That makes more sense, and at least it's not dead. And the landline phone - seems all the stored numbers have disappeared  :-\.  Goodness knows what caused that!

Guess what I'll be doing when I get home this evening.  (I did offer to talk her through connecting to the router direct - I still have one channel runnimg on that becasue one of my Garmins refuses to play with the mesh - but she declined)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

This Unit is now pondering the “logic” by which someone decides to include a couple of hundred files of type .mat in his game mod when a little application of common sense could have cut that number to seven (7) :facepalm: :facepalm:

This Unit is pleased to report that it has cut down the size of the thing from just over 1GB and more than 20,000 files to ~200 MB and just over 2000 files :thumbsup:

<== ph34r mi l33t 5k1llz ;)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Somewhere in tens of thousands of files and hundreds of thousands of lines of text is a missing “/“ character.

I will find you…

I ent found it.

Yet.

Bah!

I found it.  Or rather I didn't, because the error message was being economical with the truth.  But I did find the cause of the inaccurate messages and subsequent crashes and have nuked them from orbit.  Hurrah!

Kim

• Timelord
Ohai mystery packet loss.  That explains the weird latency problems.

Explaining the mystery packet loss may involve Hardware jibbling, and it's too perilously close to midnight for that.

Mr Zuckerberg has recently decided I'm a blue collar American and now while scrolling through pictures of friends on bikes, adverts for bike products, bicycles for sale and bicycle memes I get a Facebook "suggested post" with a tepid JPEG-artefacty pertrolhead/trucker/motorbiker/offroading meme.

Kim

• Timelord
Ohai mystery packet loss.  That explains the weird latency problems.

Explaining the mystery packet loss may involve Hardware jibbling, and it's too perilously close to midnight for that.

It's now the other side of midnight, and it turns out that if the processor is using a completely different 50MHz clock source to the Ethernet PHY, the network still kinda-sorta works, though intermittently not very well.  Who'd have thunk it?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Somewhere in tens of thousands of files and hundreds of thousands of lines of text is a missing “/“ character.

I will find you…

I ent found it.

Yet.

Bah!

I found it.  Or rather I didn't, because the error message was being economical with the truth.  But I did find the cause of the inaccurate messages and subsequent crashes and have nuked them from orbit.  Hurrah!

Oh arseburgers!  Found another one.  At least finding this one only took forty minutes instead of six months.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Mr Zuckerberg has recently decided I'm a blue collar American and now while scrolling through pictures of friends on bikes, adverts for bike products, bicycles for sale and bicycle memes I get a Facebook "suggested post" with a tepid JPEG-artefacty pertrolhead/trucker/motorbiker/offroading meme.

You probably know this already but the latest Mac OS update blocks apps tracking your activity on other websites/apps, thus breaking targeted ads - you now have to explicitly opt in to receive them. Mr Zuckerberg is, as you can imagine, not happy and has started an anti-Apple campaign on Facebook.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!

FB adverts amuse me. Sometimes they are appropriate. Sometimes they are so wrong...
I've had denture fixative, incontinence products, retirement homes, funeral plans, Kosher food, much Church stuff, quite a lot of music, a £17,000,000 des res on Millionaires' Row and lots of cars...