Author Topic: "Hasids vs hotties in a Brooklyn bike war"  (Read 11631 times)

Re: "Hasids vs hotties in a Brooklyn bike war"
« Reply #25 on: 17 September, 2008, 07:47:34 am »
What grounds would somebody of white Anglo-Saxon origin have to complain about Hassid dress?

Unreasonable ones
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #26 on: 17 September, 2008, 07:48:13 am »
What grounds would somebody of white Anglo-Saxon origin have to complain about Hassid dress?

Well obviously they wouldn't have any! But you can't seriously believe that there aren't people that would have a problem with it?

I've seen it in London on numerous occasions...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 17 September, 2008, 07:52:34 am »
Sorry, I was editing my post while you two replied.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #28 on: 17 September, 2008, 08:01:30 am »

Well obviously they wouldn't have any! But you can't seriously believe that there aren't people that would have a problem with it?

I've seen it in London on numerous occasions...
It's not quite the same though, as these traditional Jews are not complaining about all Western dress, just that which bares a lot of skin. They don't mind (at least, it doesn't mention that they mind) jeans, or a suit, or anything in fact covers the body.

« Reply #29 on: 17 September, 2008, 08:04:00 am »
It's not quite the same though, as these traditional Jews are not complaining about all Western dress, just that which bares a lot of skin. They don't mind (at least, it doesn't mention that they mind) jeans, or a suit, or anything in fact covers the body.

It is the same! They are complaining about the way some people who have different beliefs to them are dressing! And the way these people are dressing is perfectly legal and acceptable in western society. Which the United States is part of.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #30 on: 17 September, 2008, 09:08:04 am »
Thin end of the bloody wedge.  You can't let these intolerant jerks think they're special.  Rinse, repeat for any flavour of intolerant jerk.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:26:04 am »
No, I can't see it as the same. In one case people are complaining simply because someone does something different, in the other case they're complaining because of a specific offensive aspect of that difference. To me it's like the difference between an irate cabbie saying "I hate all cyclists" and "I hate the cyclist who scratched my taxi."

The only similarity is that all four examples are uncalled for. Live and let live, ride and cover up a bit and turn away when the beshorted ones pedal past.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #32 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:38:31 am »
You're saying I should dress differently if I happen to be passing through that area?

And that if I don't, any hassle I get is fairly deserved? 

What if I don't know these unwritten 'local rules'?  It's not like speed limits where there are signs posted.  "You are entering an ultra-conservative jerk zone" perhaps?

Ultraconservatives choose to get offended.  Screw 'em, they're idiots.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #33 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:40:37 am »
Phwoarrrr! Did you check out the hot chick crossing the road??!!

Oyvay to all my chums.

Abraham Shazam
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

border-rider

« Reply #34 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:50:02 am »
... they're complaining because of a specific offensive aspect of that difference.

I find Young Conservatives pretty offensive.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #35 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:59:57 am »
They're demanding the right to be intolerant.

border-rider

« Reply #36 on: 17 September, 2008, 12:05:54 pm »
I'm just not prepared to put up with that sort of behaviour.

« Reply #37 on: 17 September, 2008, 12:10:51 pm »
I like going to the beach in summer. I don't much like looking at middle aged men with huge beer guts walking around in speedos.

Would I be justified in saying that middle aged men with huge beer guts should cover themselves up when visiting the beach when I happen to be there?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #38 on: 17 September, 2008, 12:12:46 pm »
Sooo

I am not a hottie but

If I was to eat a pork pie as I jumped traffic lights and ran down children in this ghetto that might count

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 17 September, 2008, 12:14:31 pm »
I like going to the beach in summer. I don't much like looking at middle aged men with huge beer guts walking around in speedos.

Would I be justified in saying that middle aged men with huge beer guts should cover themselves up when visiting the beach when I happen to be there?

Bitch! ;D
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #40 on: 17 September, 2008, 12:44:10 pm »
If I was to eat a pork pie as I jumped traffic lights and ran down children in this ghetto that might count

Heh.  It's kinda absurd that the worst traffic woe they can worry about is that the girls are too pretty. 

LEE

« Reply #41 on: 17 September, 2008, 01:26:24 pm »
if the BNP made similar demands about dress-code, the wearing of Burkas in specific parts of Bradford for example, (they probably do now I think about it) then the whole thing would be seen for what it was.

Persoanlly though I think this is just an example of a slow news day in NYC

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #42 on: 17 September, 2008, 01:30:09 pm »

I remember Clive James doing a travelogue from Rio, walking along a crowded beach musing that, "As a public service, the old, fat and ugly don't go on the beach".

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 18 September, 2008, 08:27:15 am »
You're saying I should dress differently if I happen to be passing through that area?
If you're passing through it regularly and are bothered by offending people, yes. Though they probably wouldn't consider you a hottie...

And that if I don't, any hassle I get is fairly deserved? 
I thought my earlier posts made it clear that you don't. No one does, in this case.

border-rider

« Reply #44 on: 18 September, 2008, 08:31:26 am »
If you're passing through it regularly and are bothered by offending people, yes.

As is well-known, I find gilets even more offensive than young Conservatives

Would it be reasonable for me to stand at the side of the road and barrack anyone wearing one ? Or to campaign vociferously for them to be banned in my area ?

Should anyone riding through Monmouthshire remove their gilet at Chepstow and not put it back on until they reach Herefordshire or Powys  ?

« Reply #45 on: 18 September, 2008, 08:34:56 am »
I really don't agree that people should behave differently as they go through one public area as is the case here. They are not shouting, being aggressive etc. just behaving "normally" by NY standards.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #46 on: 18 September, 2008, 09:00:24 am »
'Especially women', they say. So we have objections to women wearing too little. Elsewhere we have objections to — mostly Muslim — women wearing too much. We might end up with a fairly restrictive female dress code.

Jezza

« Reply #47 on: 18 September, 2008, 09:03:23 am »
And no more miniskirts for Ugandan laydeez either...

BBC NEWS | World | Africa | Uganda seeking miniskirt ban

because women wearing them distract drivers and cause traffic accidents.

;D

"I think skimpy things are not good. We are keeping the dignity of Africa as ladies and we have to cover ourselves up," one woman, called Sharon - who is the size of a small lorry - told the BBC.

« Reply #48 on: 18 September, 2008, 09:25:00 am »
And no more miniskirts for Ugandan laydeez either...

I do find it kind of funny, in these cases, that apparently the men have to be protected from being distracted by women wearing less clothing than they think is appropriate.  Apparently women are never distracted by looking at men... :-\

(Maybe this is true, does anyone of the female persuasion care/dare to comment? ;D)
Actually, it is rocket science.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #49 on: 18 September, 2008, 09:48:48 am »
It paints these men in a pretty poor light, really, just idiot boners wandering around being led astray.