Author Topic: anyone in Edinburgh?  (Read 3794 times)

Martin

anyone in Edinburgh?
« on: 08 April, 2008, 12:47:01 pm »
I ordered a sleeping bag from this shower a month ago; order status says out of stock since 10th March; money was debited 25th March, no reply from e-mails or telephone calls

Aktive8
103 Lothian Road
Edinburgh
EH3 9AN
Tel: 0131 228 5047
Fax 0131 229 7507
Opening hours:
Mon to Sat: 9.30am – 6.00pm, Sunday: 12noon – 4.00pm

If anyone is local could they call past and check if this shop is still going?

Thanks

blackpuddinonnabike

Re: anyone in Edinburgh?
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2008, 12:55:52 pm »
It won't add anything to my commute to swing by on my way home tonight to have a gander.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2008, 01:01:56 pm »
Thanks  :)

Martin

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2008, 07:57:43 pm »
Right, you definitely need to get in touch with them.

The shop IS still open, but with big 'SALE' stickers in the window, and perhaps more tellingly, a big 'Lease for Sale' sign over the door. So they're moving out - could be they're just moving, could be they've gone under.

I can't find their corporate details on the website (which you're supposed to show) but an AKTIVE8 Limited, incorporated in Scotland, was dissolved according to Companies House records on 25th January (although in that case it shouldn't still be trading).

I can have a wander up at lunchtime tomorrow for a nose about and ask if they're closing down....  :-\

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2008, 08:02:35 pm »
Thanks very much  :thumbsup:

I found an e-mail via the bikeradar post and tried it; got a reply, they have apparently just moved to Livingstone and promised to have the item to me by the end of the month  :-\

I now need to check if the Nationwide Visa card offers any protection...

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2008, 08:05:41 pm »
Aren't cycling forums great?  ;D

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2008, 08:07:22 pm »
Aren't cycling forums great?  ;D

the man who runs the show went onto BR just to defend himself over vermotten's light.

« Reply #8 on: 08 April, 2008, 08:34:53 pm »
I now need to check if the Nationwide Visa card offers any protection...

Is this a Credit Card or Debit Card?  Any Credit card will offer you some protection, under the Consumer Credit Act, so long as the goods are for more than £100 (and less than £30000, but that's probably the case for a sleeping bag!)

In effect your contract is also with the Credit Card company, so you can get the money back from them, even if the supplier is totally ignoring you (or indeed disappeared off the face of the Earth).

If it's less than £100 or you used a Debit Card, you are indeed in the realms of whatever protection Nationwide chooses to give you, but sometimes they will refund the cash, even when they don't have to.  I guess it's relatively cheap PR.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:03:32 pm »
Nationwide ?; the Building Society that features a grumpy bank manager in their adverts?

They stung me £40 (2x20) for going overdrawn for about 3 days, it happened to go over 2 calendar months (and wiped out the surplus from my Audax event which is the main reason I have an account with them). I complained saying we never get this from our main bank and wouldn't it be a nice gesture to waive it given that we have our mortgage insurance and all family savings with them and got the big FO

so I'm not holding out much hope.  :-\

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:14:36 pm »
They stung me £40 (2x20) for going overdrawn for about 3 days, it happened to go over 2 calendar months (and wiped out the surplus from my Audax event which is the main reason I have an account with them). I complained saying we never get this from our main bank and wouldn't it be a nice gesture to waive it given that we have our mortgage insurance and all family savings with them and got the big FO

I'll look up the policy tomorrow.  You used to get the charge refunded for a "first offence", but things may have changed with the current court case.  Was the charge for a bounced item or just for going overdrawn?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:21:10 pm »

I'll look up the policy tomorrow.  You used to get the charge refunded for a "first offence", but things may have changed with the current court case.  Was the charge for a bounced item or just for going overdrawn?

no it was just for going overdrawn (lots of cheques coming in and out and it just happened to go below zero due to me thinking the hall hire cheque had gone through when it hadn't). Yes they did mention the current court case and how they are not answering any complaints on that score. I think the interest charged was about 12p, they must use very expensive envelopes  >:(

Thinks; Swindon, oh so you work for them?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 08 April, 2008, 11:22:32 pm »
Rogerzilla is the MD. Can't you tell from his avatar?  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.