Author Topic: FNRTTC Dates for 2009  (Read 20778 times)

Re: FNRTTC Dates for 2009
« Reply #50 on: 09 February, 2009, 10:10:16 pm »
I did Shoreham with TG on the tandem and Annie and I tandemmed to Brighton in May...

Fantastic! It must be my turn on the tandem with Annie ;D :demon:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #51 on: 09 February, 2009, 10:12:10 pm »
His legship has updated the blog with the dates for 2009.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #52 on: 09 February, 2009, 10:15:10 pm »
The blog has dates, but doesn't have locations.  However, I've got a pdf with the destination of each ride & if anyone wants it then drop me a PM.

Is anyone else getting inordinately excited about the forthcoming FNRttC season ?

I went a walk last night with the dog at around midnight to discover a huge full moon, perfectly still, cold & dry conditions & amazing noises from the geese that were going mad from all the moonlight.  It made me wanna go night cycling.  Shame I wont be doing (m)any FNRttCs this year.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #53 on: 09 February, 2009, 10:43:12 pm »
That's funny - I was on the verge of posting something along these lines earlier today but decided it was unhealthy to start getting excited about the March ride about five weeks in advance.

On reflection, whether it's unhealthy or not, I'm already getting excited abut this year's Dunwich Dynamo.

I see that there's a London FGSS ride possibly heading to Brighton on the night of 21 Feb.  I guess the likelihood of cloud cover means that the lack of moon that night may have no adverse effect.  I might tag along if other commitments permit; otherwise I am looking forward to a "small and fast" FNRttC to Brighton in March.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #54 on: 09 February, 2009, 10:45:28 pm »
I have never been fast and it's a long time since I was small.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #55 on: 09 February, 2009, 10:54:17 pm »
Is anyone else getting inordinately excited about the forthcoming FNRttC season ?

Not 'arf!  :thumbsup:

Me too!  I shall have to start planning Cambridge-London logistics...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #56 on: 10 February, 2009, 11:09:52 am »
Spookily, I was looking up FNRttC dates yesterday, and of course, as Adamski said, there are dates on the FNRttC Blog, but all the route descriptions went up in smoke with the other place's demise.
Actually, it is rocket science.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 10 February, 2009, 12:01:20 pm »
That's funny - I was on the verge of posting something along these lines earlier today but decided it was unhealthy to start getting excited about the March ride about five weeks in advance.

Ride date - July 2009

Dedicated board created - April 2008:
LEL
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

annie

« Reply #58 on: 10 February, 2009, 12:03:41 pm »
I did Shoreham with TG on the tandem and Annie and I tandemmed to Brighton in May...

Fantastic! It must be my turn on the tandem with Annie ;D :demon:

Oh what a fantastic idea.  :)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #59 on: 10 February, 2009, 08:50:24 pm »
I will examine my calendar. I believe Tim and I are due to annex a scout hut.....

« Reply #60 on: 10 February, 2009, 09:02:14 pm »
I will examine my calendar. I believe Tim and I are due to annex a scout hut.....
And will that be FoC for the hire ?

If not, you will accept donations.
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #61 on: 10 February, 2009, 09:52:23 pm »
As far as I know the Scout Hut is FoC for the hire.  If it changes I'll let you know.

TT, I'll PM you to sort out the details.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #62 on: 11 February, 2009, 12:21:40 am »
OK Tim, I'll compare the calendar with my shifts.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #63 on: 11 February, 2009, 10:59:25 am »

Excited, yes. Having heard about FNRTTC on the other place, thought, hmm, yes, sounds interesting. As I was building up my leisure/exercise mileage (from zero in 2007) I wasn't sure I'd be up to it. That and having to travel up from Pompey, get time off work (I do a late shift, it wouldn't be a good idea to prepare by doing a full day's work and jumping straight on a train...), etc. But now, with more miles under my belt, and doing 20 or 30 miles with no bother at weekends, thinking, yup, ready. May sounds particularly good as I have a week off. A nice little endurance combo with the IOW Randonnee (did the 55k last year, but it'll be the Big One this time). Might also be up for August (8th happens to be my birthday- don't really care about it, but if I am going to do something, sounds like fun).
Any hints and tips for a newbie welcome.

« Reply #64 on: 11 February, 2009, 11:32:43 am »
Any hints and tips for a newbie welcome.

Lights, the brighter the better (for the dark bits).
Check your bike over, bits failing along the way is embarrassing.  I don't know what the worst number of punctures we've had was, but I think in October we had at least three, which was a bit of a pain.  On one ride last year, we had two punctures just getting out of Gatwick Airport (carpeting is clearly bad for tyres!).  I am as guilty of this as anyone, I had one puncture on a FNRttC last year, and on inspection, the tyre was damn near bald.  I also noticed that a brake cable was about to break, but careful braking for the rest of the ride obviated having to deal with that.
Carrying some tools/spares is a good idea, but someone else will almost certainly have stuff.  Just don't rely on it.  I normally carry a good pump, two spare tyres (700C, so if you're on an MTB I can't help), a puncture repair kit, a spare brake cable, cable ties, lots of tools.  They'll still be things I can't deal with though.
Carrying water, even when it's cold, is a good idea.  Over an entire night the chances are you will get thirsty, even with the mid-ride stop.  If you do have a fall, clean water is useful to clean a wound out!
Some munchies are also a good idea, for additional energy, and money is likely to be necessary for (i) mid-ride stop (ii) breakfast (iii) the train back and (iv) if things go horribly wrong, then a taxi/bus/train to home or wherever.
Enjoy yourself!  This is after all the idea of the ride, so bring your enthusiasm. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #65 on: 11 February, 2009, 12:26:55 pm »
From the FNRttC blogspot : -

We've had people who have never been on a CTC ride, never ridden at night, and quite a few who have never ridden sixty miles before. For some it's an adventure, for others it's a chance to chat and ride at the same time, and for some of us it's a bit of romance. There isn't a timetable, and it's definitely not about the bike - spokeydokeys are allowed, if not encouraged. The age range is 5 to 66. We have expert Tail End Charlies who help with mechanicals, and ensure that nobody gets left behind. Pre-registration is a must, and you have to have good lights and the batteries to go with them. Clothing needs a bit of thought. It's always a bit colder than you think - particularly if you're a Londoner. A few light layers, that can be peeled off if need be is the smart way to go, and if the weather forecast gives a hint of rain a waterproof is de rigeur. Think about gloves. Please give your tyres a look over - punctures are very infrequent, but they do throw the ride out of kilter.
Rust never sleeps

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #66 on: 11 February, 2009, 11:12:11 pm »
Thanks Tim & Hatler. I'll likely be on my Dahon Jetstream, if not my Dahon Cadenza- both funnyish tyre sizes (406 and 26"), so I'd thought of getting spares.  I already have a spare Schwalbe Marathon Racer, folded in box, for the former. I'm planning to get some tools etc anyway.

« Reply #67 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:01:18 pm »
Registration for March 13 is open, emails to fnrttc@yahoo.co.uk
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #68 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:05:07 pm »

Best get round to getting a sensible number of spokes in that Schmidt Open Pro combination

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #69 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:06:17 pm »
You're still using that wheel with half the number of spokes?!  :o
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #70 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:09:46 pm »
You're still using that wheel with half the number of spokes?!  :o

No, I've not used it since the last time, but I have not yet got round to rebuilding it. I've got spokes now so maybe I'll do it this afternoon.

Martin

« Reply #71 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:23:43 pm »

I'd already done so 2 weeks ago but not to that e-mail addy thanks

« Reply #72 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:42:38 pm »
Disaster. It looks like I'm going to be away for this one.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #73 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:45:37 pm »
Dates and destinations

13 March Brighton via Gatwick
9 April (Thursday) Southend via Junction 31
8 May Brighton via Horley Scout Hut
5 June Whitstable via Andy's Café Rochester
3 July ‘Genteel Ride’ to Brighton via Horley Scout Hut
7 August Bognor via Cabin Café Faygate
4 September Whitstable via Andy's Café Rochester
2 October Southend via Junction 31
30 October Whitstable via Andy's Café Rochester
27 November Brighton via Gatwick

« Reply #74 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:47:41 pm »
Disaster. It looks like I'm going to be away for this one.

Still we don't get to see the September.