Author Topic: rear mudguard stays too long  (Read 2147 times)

rear mudguard stays too long
« on: 13 September, 2014, 07:56:27 pm »
I am trying to convert my S6R-X to S6L-X by removing the rear rack and mudguard and fitting mudguard only.
I ordered mudguard QMGBL-RL and stay set QMGSRSET-TI which includes the roller and other fittings.
Unfortunately the stays were too long - I managed to fit the mudguard bit (with a bit of bending) and there was huge gap between tyre and mudguard.
I ordered a second set of stays and they are also too long.

Anyone heard of this problem?

Maybe someone can measure some stays to compare sizes.

Re: rear mudguard stays too long
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2014, 12:15:40 pm »
Have you perhaps connected the stays in the wrong order?

« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2014, 06:59:45 pm »
I though someone might ask that. No - I followed the Brompton instructions to the letter. The shortest stay is at the top and bolted nearest the frame.

« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2014, 06:36:08 pm »
Talked to the dealer - they sent me another set - also too long - and compared measurements with some other samples. It looks like some poor manufacturing going on at Brompton.

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2014, 05:20:57 pm »
I can't see from the photo (and I've got a rack on my B) but could it not be that the mudguard bracket is mounted on the wrong side of the seat stay bridge, making the whole thing bulge outwards?

« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2014, 11:17:46 pm »
I can't see from the photo (and I've got a rack on my B) but could it not be that the mudguard bracket is mounted on the wrong side of the seat stay bridge, making the whole thing bulge outwards?

Yep.

Here's what it should look like.

http://www.aeobicycle.com/images/Brompton_M3L_Folding_Bike.jpg