Author Topic: Football will eat itself  (Read 32199 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Football will eat itself
« Reply #25 on: 09 October, 2014, 04:32:45 pm »
The Escalade is a Cadillac or, put another way,a Chevy with delusions of grandeur.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 09 October, 2014, 04:48:35 pm »
#Drove my Chavvy to the Lavvy
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #27 on: 18 November, 2014, 09:30:20 am »
Will Baseball eat itself?

Giancarlo Stanton has agreed the most expensive ever deal in United States sport by signing a £208m ($325m) 13-year contract with Miami Marlins.
The new deal for the 25-year-old includes a no-trade clause and Stanton can opt out after six years

Worth noting that even at £208 million over 13 years he doesn't earn the most annually.
It's a nice gift to give any 25 year old, a guaranteed £16 million a year until he is 38 and retired.

In case you were wondering whether £208 million is a lot of money let me help put that in perspective.....

That's £43,835 ...every day...365 days a year....for the next 13 years.

Something has to give doesn't it?  That's just one man.  The public, in various ways, some obvious, some more discreet, are paying one man this amount of money.

It begs the question "How many hungry people can you feed with that sort of money?".  I'm thinking £43,000 a day feeds a at least 4300 people a day.

Has the revolution started yet?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #28 on: 18 November, 2014, 09:42:20 am »
I take it Mr Stanton is jolly good at rounders then?

I don't mind the game itself but as soon as a USAnian colemantator opens his mouth on the subject my eyes glaze over and I start to yearn for something more cerebral, like NASCAR.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #29 on: 18 November, 2014, 09:44:20 am »

I can only assume that someone checked.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #30 on: 18 November, 2014, 09:48:42 am »

I can only assume that someone checked.

Does anyone know what the former directors of Enron are doing these days :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 01 December, 2014, 07:49:52 pm »
Lionel Messi is a marvellous player, but £210 million?  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #32 on: 04 December, 2014, 09:12:59 am »
Today's BBC Sport Football website "Front Page"
Articles about....

Drogba
Aguero
Sanchez
Messi
Ronaldo
Mourinho
Wenger
Van Gaal
Neuer
Rodriguez
Van Persie
Koemann
Pochettino
Martinez
Bruce
Gerrard
Roche
Rodgers
Pardew

Then if you start scrolling to the lower leagues you start to see more English players/Managers.

"It's the best league in the World" apparently.  like I'm supposed to take some sort of national pride in that statement. 

« Reply #33 on: 04 December, 2014, 08:02:34 pm »
It's changed now to feature Dave Whelan and his contribution to racial and religious harmony.
With idiots like him  and Malcy Mckay,  as examples of U.K football leadership , do we really deserve to have more Brits in the top echelons? 
It would be nice to see Steve McLaren prove all those who christened him "Wally with a brolly" wrong by getting Derby into the Premiership but until then Arsen ,Jose, Harold, Gus and Mario will do fine.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #34 on: 07 December, 2014, 11:12:54 am »
It's changed now to feature Dave Whelan and his contribution to racial and religious harmony.
With idiots like him  and Malcy Mckay,  as examples of U.K football leadership , do we really deserve to have more Brits in the top echelons? 
It would be nice to see Steve McLaren prove all those who christened him "Wally with a brolly" wrong by getting Derby into the Premiership but until then Arsen ,Jose, Harold, Gus and Mario will do fine.

Well I was trying to keep this to English numbers in the Premiership.  As far as I'm concerned Malcy Mckay is another foreigner in the English Premiership.

Making dubious statements about racially sensitive topics isn't the sole preserve of the English footballing contingent.

Mario "Why Always Me?" Balotelli * just made some fairly offensive remarks.

* - Mario, it's because you're a dick.

« Reply #35 on: 07 December, 2014, 12:03:18 pm »

Mario "Why Always Me?" Balotelli * just made some fairly offensive remarks.

* - Mario, it's because you're a dick.

Yep !  ;D

Bit off-topic, but also got a good laugh at Mourino crying over the ball boys at Newcaslte  :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 08 December, 2014, 08:03:08 am »
Football will eat itself and its the fans who will get the food poisoning.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #37 on: 09 December, 2014, 10:15:43 am »
It was amusing to hear anecdotes of Arsenal fans fighting each other after a friendly discussion about the employment prospects  of their manager.
Is that still classed as football related violence or do opposition fans have to be involved as well?

« Reply #38 on: 14 December, 2014, 01:55:29 pm »
BBC today.

England could play home games around the country from 2018 if an NFL team bases itself at Wembley.
The Football Association is obliged to hold matches at the stadium until 2017 but wants an American Football franchise to replace those revenues.

So there is serious talk about an American Football team basing itself at Wembley.

I really do think this will be the model for the high-revenue sports in 20 years.

Ironically NFL stands for National Football League.

Mattc, you missed a meeting on gold limousines.  Do try and keep up, this is El Hadji Diouf’s

He could have saved himself £100,000 and asked me to spray the word "C**T" on a Ford Fiesta (It would have achieved the same result and I'd have done it for free).

A triple whammy of terrible taste:

1 - Chrysler Edit - Cadillac (even worse)
2 - Escalade
3 - Gold

I'll buy you the can of paint provided you use a more appropriate epithet ; something like KN**BER or BO**OK BRAIN although these might not fit on a Ford Fiesta.
Reine de la Fauche

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #39 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:58:02 am »
What percentage do Footballers' agents take?

Is it 15-20%?  Is that of everything? (transfer fee, weekly wage, endorsements). Do they take a Buyer AND Seller fee I wonder.

I ask because "football super-agent" Jorges Mendes has been interviewed by the BBC this week.

Turns out his clients are:

(including) Diego Costa, Yacine Brahimi, José Mourinho, Luiz Felipe Scolari, Carlos Queiroz, Simão Sabrosa, Anderson, Fábio Coentrão, Pepe, Ángel Di María, Cristiano Ronaldo, Radamel Falcao García, Ricardo Carvalho, Nani, Ricardo Quaresma, Burak Yılmaz, João Moutinho, James Rodríguez, David de Gea and Víctor Valdés.

Clearly a strong Portuguese connection.

It doesn't take much to work out that Mendes must be rolling in it.  Ronaldo alone transferred to Madrid for £80million and has a reported weekly wage of £500,000.  He's now valued at £300 million so you can imagine that his weekly wage may approach a million.

His career as a huge money earner is likely to be three times as long as his clients. 

If we remove the Oil Field owners out of the equation then it's likely that the richest people in football are the top agents.  Mendes is certainly worth more than most traditional football club owners.

« Reply #40 on: 04 February, 2015, 09:34:06 am »
You keep using this word "worth"!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 04 February, 2015, 09:45:55 am »
It seems probable that football agents are like estate agents, recruitment agents and most other job titles using the word "agent": an artificial obstacle between seller and buyer in order to extract as much money as possible from both by preventing the two doing any sort of deal.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #42 on: 04 February, 2015, 09:48:16 am »

I get your point but I wouldn't say I keep using it.

« Reply #43 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:49:09 am »

Eventually it will, but looking at the evidence from Newcastle it's a long way off.
A Stevenage? based owner, a London born manager with no obvious allegiance or previous history in the North of England, a team with a few locals and the rest as imports, yet still a sell out at home games.

Likewise at Old Trafford, although the veneer is fading a bit , they will still be a sell out at home.
Gigg's class of 82 consortium have just developed a hotel near OT and before it has opened someone has booked it solid for all the weekends when MU are at home.

United were still attracting 50,000 plus attendances before the stadium upgrade. In fact, in November 1974
when they were
in the old second division, a crowd of 60,585 saw them beat (second placed) Sunderland 3-2 (I was there in the Stretford End).

« Reply #44 on: 04 February, 2015, 03:33:07 pm »

I get your point but I wouldn't say I keep using it.

Sorry about that, Lee, I'm not quite sure how that happened!  Of course, I meant Mendes and his ilk, who keep suggesting that such and such a player is "worth" this or that.

Peter

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #45 on: 05 February, 2015, 12:24:04 am »
How do you compare with a footballer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-31110113
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #46 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:15:52 am »
Well, I earn a lot less, but the public sector pays my wages and there isn't much call for replica kits and other merchandise.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #47 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:02:07 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31379128

Incredible. 5.14 billion for 3 year TV rights.  The chief exec was on Today this morning squirming when asked about clubs not paying living wages to some.

The TV deal seems more a reflection of the global value of the game, rather than side effects of the game and its stars beign so far up their own arses that eating themselves would be unpleasant. Although the amount poured into the game directly influences the behaviour of those in the game, i think its a different issue.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #48 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:16:27 pm »
Well, I earn a lot less, but the public sector pays my wages and there isn't much call for replica kits and other merchandise.
Teethgrinder has replica shirts but I don't think he's actually earning anything right now, despite arguably showing more dedication to his sport than top footballers.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #49 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:19:06 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31379128
The Premier League plans to invest £56m in grassroots projects, including 50 artificial pitches.
:D
The BBC employ someone with a sense of humour!