Author Topic: Back over the top - Brecon to Llandeilo  (Read 1318 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Back over the top - Brecon to Llandeilo
« on: 01 November, 2014, 08:22:13 pm »

Though the walkers were pleased it wasn't raining at breakfast time - it probably would be by the time their minibus got them to the start of today's hike!

Meanwhile, I was in the supermarket for a lunchtime sandwich by 0830; spotting the  'Bikes and Hikes' MTB shop in the supermarket car park I borrowed a track pump to make sure the pesky  p*ncture repair got me through the day - better starting with 60psi than what my poxy pump put in

SO by 0910 I'm 5km out of Brecon and there's a bit of sun, though clouds concealing the peaks. This is Cradoc on the road out of town

Then through Trallong (Llong is the word for a ship !)

And a distant view of Black Mountains - I think this might be Moel Feudwy 1940 feet - oh flip, I've got to get over that after coffee ! Arriving at Trecastell yesterday's coffee van is no longer there serving de-caffeinated cyclists and truckers. So I had a bit of a wobble, a sandwich and a banana & looked at the bus timetable and dismissed the idea of 10 miles on the road to the next railroad station at Llandovery, and headed up the B road (marked with a chevron).

I stopped at Glasfynydd to work out which side of the Usk I was supposed to be on and soon found plenty of Saturday trippers parked up by the wall of the reservoir. Weather was beginning to close in - so on with the waterproofs (off with the glasses). Now into the wind to the first cattle grid; several horse boxes and distant barking indicated the hunt was up on the moor. Indeed there were a few lost hounds on the road

Happily, they weren't at all interested in me and I paused to remove waterproofs s at the same spot as previous day's 1011ft lunch stop -  this is the view towards Llandovery and Caio

A rapid descent now (waving to two cyclists heading up into the gloom) through Twynllanan and it was  sunny aand autumnal once again by the Afon Sawddfe, which I followed this time all the way to Llangadoc, whence to Bethlehem and home again.

No stars, shepherds or wise men !  About 50km each way 3 ½ hours of cycling and 1 ½ hours faffing. 2 days of muscle aches and mild euphoria.