Author Topic: Wrapping a velomobile  (Read 5085 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Wrapping a velomobile
« on: 28 January, 2015, 10:50:56 am »
I had a couple of threads on here over the last few months about lighting upgrades to my velomobile and then about wrapping her.

The wrapping was because I lent her to a friend and he rolled her at a very low speed which produced the following redecoration:

Respray/repair costs ranged from 400-600€ which was clearly way too much for a 4000€ Velomobile. So I just decided to live with it for the time being whilst I investigated vinyl wraps.

I lent her to a different (male) friend whilst I was in England in mid-December and he rolled her too, on the other side this time, at a higher speed so with more damage:

So the wrap seemed like a better idea.

James (my husband) was keen to give this a go so I decided to buy some silver wrap (to hopefully improve visibility) and he brought along some boat filler to smooth out the scratches/dents and read up a bit on what to do.

This is the result.

First, the new extra-bright lighting running at 7.2V (so as to avoid overheating), with the nose of Penelope with the wrap

And the side views, taken today.

There was a crack forward of the hinge on the right hand side which is still visible, and a dent on the left hand side door, but otherwise it's worked very well. And of course will be easy to repair/replace next time someone rolls Penelope (we have kept the template shapes for the cutout to aid further works!)

I'll write a long blog post about it all in due course but have too much work at the moment.

Thanks to various people who suggested what to do, especially Kim for the lighting recommendations. I will detail it more in the blog eventually.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: Wrapping a velomobile
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:00:38 am »
Well chosen lines, good application, but there just isn't enough purple left!

:thumbsup:
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:05:40 am »
Purple carbon  :demon:

Of course you're not going to let anyone borrow it again, are you?

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:08:37 am »
The purple carbon is an option but it is quite dark (not the same purple) so my matching purple hat will no longer match.

I will continue to lend my VM to friends as how else can they decide if a VM is for them? The second trike-roller was about to order an Orca; needless to say he is not now.

The Versatile/Orca have a fairly high centre of gravity which makes them slightly more prone to roll. However I've done 5,000km and not yet lifted a wheel (as opposed to the two chaps who did 200 metres and 50km before their rolls) so I guess some of it is down to technique!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:23:07 am »
400-600€ for a respray?

That's easy enough to work out: 200-300€ from each of the rollers!  :demon:

I like the silver though  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:37:29 am »
It looks really good! Nice work!  :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:45:12 am »
The purple carbon is an option but it is quite dark (not the same purple) so my matching purple hat will no longer match.

I will continue to lend my VM to friends as how else can they decide if a VM is for them? The second trike-roller was about to order an Orca; needless to say he is not now.

The Versatile/Orca have a fairly high centre of gravity which makes them slightly more prone to roll. However I've done 5,000km and not yet lifted a wheel (as opposed to the two chaps who did 200 metres and 50km before their rolls) so I guess some of it is down to technique!

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any offence.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:00:15 pm »
Looks tidy  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:17:08 pm »

There was a crack forward of the hinge on the right hand side which is still visible, and a dent on the left hand side door, but otherwise it's worked very well. And of course will be easy to repair/replace next time someone rolls Penelope (we have kept the template shapes for the cutout to aid further works!)

Very cool looking machine. Is there any danger of the crack spreading? If so, maybe some duct tape on the inside of the panel, where it's not visible, or some kind of glue (superglue?) to hold the crack together would help.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:20:18 pm »
A crack in GRP will eventually spread. It may be worth investigating a gel coat repair.

VELOMANCER

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #10 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:25:51 pm »
Ooooo I like that idea. You could always get your hat wrapped to match!  :demon:
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #11 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:46:40 pm »
That looks very good, I hope the rollers offered something to help with the repairs, I am scratching my head as to how they did it, I have no experience of Velo Mobiles but have ridden a trike for over 20,000 miles and have not rolled one (yet) lifted a wheel occasionally but  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #12 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:54:57 pm »
That looks very good, I hope the rollers offered something to help with the repairs, I am scratching my head as to how they did it, I have no experience of Velo Mobiles but have ridden a trike for over 20,000 miles and have not rolled one (yet) lifted a wheel occasionally but  :)

You're not trying hard enough  ;D ;D ;D
Only had mine over at slow speed turning into a cycle path, fast 50mph+ cornering I tend to be more careful at as that may hurt a bit!!  ;D
Looks good Helen  :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13 on: 28 January, 2015, 01:08:54 pm »
Ooooo I like that idea. You could always get your hat wrapped to match!  :demon:

Paging Bumper. Mr Bumper to the purple courtesy telephone please . . .
VELOMANCER

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #14 on: 28 January, 2015, 01:11:59 pm »
Bumper gave me some info initially.

The lid of Penelope is not GRP but PET (plastic bottles material) so it's quite bendy. It's not structural (apart from holding up my Garmin and mirrors).

James glued a bit of ice cream tub lid to the inside of the crack and is fairly confident it won't spread further, it's just a shame that he didn't manage to get the three sections of the crack to sit flatter. He thought about having another go at it from the inside but didn't get round to it - perhaps he'll have a look next time he visits.

As to how the chaps rolled her, the centre of gravity is fairly high (I have now lowered the seat which slightly helps) and the track is narrower than my trike, and you can't lean as far against the camber due to the body of the VM. But the main issue appears to be the Panzerlenkung (tank steering) which it takes some time to get used to.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #15 on: 28 January, 2015, 01:33:50 pm »
I wouldn't let anymore ham fisted numpties near the poor wee beast  :hand:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 28 January, 2015, 01:36:26 pm »
Looking good  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 28 January, 2015, 01:46:56 pm »
As to how the chaps rolled her, the centre of gravity is fairly high (I have now lowered the seat which slightly helps) and the track is narrower than my trike, and you can't lean as far against the camber due to the body of the VM. But the main issue appears to be the Panzerlenkung (tank steering) which it takes some time to get used to.

Re Cof G, ah hadn't thought of that, I will remember as at some point (if things work out alright) I will try one in Summertime and would hate to make a fool of meself
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #18 on: 01 February, 2015, 09:50:52 pm »
Looks pretty cool and, as you say, will make any future scrapes easily repairable.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #19 on: 01 February, 2015, 10:09:41 pm »
My credit card has just taken a hit for some LED strip lighting to go along the sides to improve visibility from side-on. I've seen an Orca with this and it was fab (so I asked the chappie what he used). Hopefully it might get fitted this weekend. More of a battery drain of course but they last a long time and I have some slight nervousness about my visibility from the side having had a close shave with a car in this situation once.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #20 on: 01 February, 2015, 10:24:00 pm »
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21 on: 01 February, 2015, 10:25:50 pm »
The more I think about it the more I want a Velomobile. Maybe an Aerorider . . .
VELOMANCER

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22 on: 01 February, 2015, 10:46:30 pm »
Here's what the other guy has done:

My tame German electronic engineer (husband James is back in England again) will do it for me, possibly next weekend. He's one of the VM crashers so is very keen to make amends!

Penelope is going to be the coolest thing in NRW soon!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2015, 10:58:44 pm »
That is pretty cool.   :thumbsup:

Won't stop the idiots driving into you thobut.

« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2015, 11:09:28 pm »
I like!  :thumbsup:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.