Author Topic: Marmalade  (Read 72089 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Marmalade
« Reply #225 on: 03 January, 2021, 07:57:06 pm »
I'm limited regarding the size of the pan we can use. I used to have an enormous preserving pan but it won't work on our induction hob, so I gave it to my daughter. The stainless steel one I use now is about 5 litres, so 3lb oranges according to the recipe I posted years ago at the start of this thread are the limit. Also, slicing up more than 3lb is such a tedious job that it drives me nuts. I did a double quantity once. Never again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #226 on: 03 January, 2021, 08:05:54 pm »
I'm limited regarding the size of the pan we can use. I used to have an enormlus preserving pan but it won't work on our induction hob, so I gave it to my daughter. The stainless steel one I use now is about 5 litres, so 3lb oranges according to the recipe I posted years ago at the start of this thread are the limit. Also, slicing up more than 3lb is such a tedious job that it drives me nuts. I did a double quantity once. Never again.

There's a parallel here with the pans - we moved house and now have an induction range so the aluminium one doesn't work - that's gone to a daughter and we have a steel one.

Tried some of the latest manufacture this morning (the Nigel Slater recipe) - excellent - it was from about half a cupful that was "over" from jar filling - the new stock will be left to mature until we've finished the last 3 jars from the 2020 vintage.

« Reply #227 on: 09 January, 2021, 07:20:24 pm »
I made marmalade last weekend, 1 box of Waitrose oranges makes 5 larger ("1lb" size) jars plus 1 small jar for the remains. That's using just over 1kg oranges, 2 kg sugar, 2L water and 4 tablespoons of lemon juice. No need to add pectin (whereas my ruby grapefruit marmalade needed extra pectin as the fruit has so few pips in- I test the fruit mix for pectin level and pH before adding sugar and adjust as required).

(Over Christmas I also made rhubarb jam as the late season rhubarb on my allotment was still going strong!)

Have another lot of "3 for 2" Marmalade Oranges on the list for delivery on Monday, hopefully they will be in stock. I might just get another 1 kg in the freezer and the rest I will marmalize.

I like marmalade and so do my friends so happy to have more Seville oranges. (I also bought a box of 20 jars- the "1lb" size- so no worries there).

The 1kg box of oranges is a good batch size, when I did grapefruit marmalade it I did a double batch and it was a bit dicely boiling it down.

I have a maslin pan, makes a bit difference. When I bought it in the summer, we were thinking about getting an induction cooker so I bought one which works on induction (stainless steel with encapsulated base).

The induction hob is much easier than the as hob was for marmalising (in fact all hob-top cooking).

Need to do a batch of bread tomorrow too......... wholemeal sourdough bread (made from Bacheldre Mill flour) with marmalade on........ nom nom

GC

robgul

« Reply #228 on: 09 January, 2021, 07:31:48 pm »
Mrs robgul is in full marmalade making mode . . . . had to buy an extra supply of jars from Lakeland, delivered today (a lot of jam was made with fruit from the allotment and a vast consignment of cherries from a friend so jars were in short supply - all re-used of course)

2 more kg of oranges due with the veg box on Tuesday - that'll get us up to about 32 jars.   Also had 16kg of bread flour delivered from Shipton Mill this week - so we should be OK for toast and marmalade for a while.   

The marmalade should last us the year.  And this year is the first with an induction hob (new steel pan required) and, so I understand, more control over the heat.

robgul

« Reply #229 on: 16 January, 2021, 08:37:15 am »
We're expecting to look after Paddington Bear for a while . . . .

. . . I'm surprised Gregg Wallace hasn't been round to film for Inside The Factory  (I don't think I could stand his shouting and juvenile humour)

That's probably it for this year's production  - although I think there may be a couple of kilos of oranges in the freezer for an emergency batch should it be required.

« Reply #230 on: 16 January, 2021, 08:07:56 pm »
If Paddington should be unavailable, may I offer myself as a stand-in?

robgul

« Reply #231 on: 16 January, 2021, 08:14:42 pm »
If Paddington should be unavailable, may I offer myself as a stand-in?

Sorry, Knuckles* has already put in a request for any surplus.

* you will need to have seen Paddington II film to get the joke.

« Reply #232 on: 17 January, 2021, 12:00:29 am »
I've seen the film, and I'm not going to argue with Knuckles :D

robgul

« Reply #233 on: 17 January, 2021, 08:31:58 am »
I've seen the film, and I'm not going to argue with Knuckles :D

.... we'll be taking extra care with the laundry, watching out for errant red socks   ;D ;D

« Reply #234 on: 17 January, 2021, 06:40:21 pm »
I made a couple fo batches of marmalade this weekend.

Had another "3 for 2" boxes of Seville oranges from Waitrose during the week, froze 1kg (so have 3 x 1kg in the freezer) and marmalised the rest in 2 batches, I prefer dealing with 1kg-worth of oranges at a time. I did add a ruby grapefruit to the second batch to made up the weight (with making sure that the freezer portion has at least 1kg in and with the oranges being quite large, the last batch was under on weight).

That's 3kg of oranges marmalised all together, I didn't add coriander to this lot like I did to the first lot, so see how different it is (if at all).

Should keep me going for a bit anyway.

I'm still not sure whether I prefer ruby/pink grapefruit marmalade vs Seville orange marmalade, the grapefruit marmalade is more bitter (and needs added pectin unless you find the unlikely thing of very pippy grapefruits) but both are nice. I guess the only answer is to eat more of both and see if I can decide  :thumbsup:

GC

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #235 on: 23 January, 2021, 04:31:39 pm »
2kg of seville oranges, 4kg sugar, 4 lemons, 2.2l water. That assumes I've deciphered Dad's handwriting correctly.  Doubling up the recipe was almost a mistake - it only just fitted in the pan.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #236 on: 25 January, 2021, 06:48:54 pm »
I doubled up the recipe some years ago, using my mum's gigantic preserving pan. It took everything I could throw at it, but it was incredibly tedious, fine-slicing 6lb oranges. I swore never again and I've stuck to it.

Now we have an induction hob, I've given the preserving pan to my daughter and we use a stainless steel one.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #237 on: 25 January, 2021, 07:00:05 pm »
Made mine yesterday; for one pot I added a shot of whisky. Of course the whisky acted like anti-freeze and it didn’t set. :facepalm: Tasted great though!

robgul

« Reply #238 on: 25 January, 2021, 07:36:31 pm »
2kg of seville oranges, 4kg sugar, 4 lemons, 2.2l water. That assumes I've deciphered Dad's handwriting correctly.  Doubling up the recipe was almost a mistake - it only just fitted in the pan.

That looks like a pretty good yield from just 2kg of oranges  - I understand we've been getting about 5 jars per kg

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #239 on: 25 January, 2021, 08:49:06 pm »
My recipe (3lb oranges, 2 lemons, 6lb sugar and 4 pints water) yields 11 or 12 bonne maman jars, which when sold with raspberry jam in them are labelled as 370 grams.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #240 on: 26 January, 2021, 11:13:49 pm »
Did another batch tonight. Just 1kg oranges, 2kg sugar etc. Only one jar.

But it's rilly big.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

« Reply #241 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:04:14 am »
A further, and final, batch was made here yesterday - an experimental making of 4 x 1lb jars using Blood oranges rather than Seville.  Early tasting suggest a slightly sweeter product.

That's it for this year with 40 jars - further use of the jam pan will take place when the soft-fruit at the allotment is harvested.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #242 on: 25 June, 2021, 02:01:36 pm »
9 year old girl scoops international competition and reproduced product sold at Fortnum & Mason.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-57581729

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #243 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:04:37 pm »
Well done her!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #244 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:08:47 pm »
Not quite nominative determinism that her mother's surname is Rhind.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #245 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:16:01 pm »
Flora puts blossom petals into the jar too...

robgul

« Reply #246 on: 09 July, 2021, 07:32:12 am »
Minor disaster in that we've found (so far) 3 or 4 jars of this year's marmalade have some mould growth on the top  >:(   - and have had to be discarded*

It's probably down to the jar lids not fitting snugly enough - mainly re-used Bonne Maman which have prossibly been used 7 or 8 times - perhaps the the thin "gasket" in the rim of the lid has failed?

Anyway - the remedy for current jam production (apricot and strawberry, raspeberry soon from the allotment) is to buy a load of jars (probably from Lakeland) that can be re-used over and over but with new lids (bought separately) each time the jar is used.

*My concern is that we may have to lower ourselves to SHOP BOUGHT MARMALADE early next year . . .

« Reply #247 on: 09 July, 2021, 01:51:47 pm »
I'm sure I've said before (though possibly not in this thread) I a) never re-use lids, it's wax paper, elastic bands and cellophane circles for me and b) I scrape off the mouldy bits and spread the rest.

The USDA says you shouldn't and Theresa May does.

To be honest, the fact she does is inclined to make me stop.

robgul

« Reply #248 on: 09 July, 2021, 02:04:27 pm »
I'm sure I've said before (though possibly not in this thread) I a) never re-use lids, it's wax paper, elastic bands and cellophane circles for me and b) I scrape off the mouldy bits and spread the rest.

The USDA says you shouldn't and Theresa May does.

To be honest, the fact she does is inclined to make me stop.

Wise words - I'm only the marmalade consumer here - I have taken up the point with cook and she has promised to do better next time  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #249 on: 09 July, 2021, 05:02:30 pm »
I put my jam (I don't do marmalade - partner dislikes) into Bonne Maman jars, then reboil in microwave, apply lid to hot jar, screw on and hope the button pops in on cooling.

No mould so far...