Author Topic: Hurrah for n+1! (30s Sunbeam)  (Read 1195 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Hurrah for n+1! (30s Sunbeam)
« on: 03 October, 2008, 09:32:07 am »
I finally went to see the 30s Sunbeam that I'd been offered first refusal on.

Dry stored for a couple of years since it was last ridden the chap I'm buying it off (yes, I am buying it) is only the second owner. It's in need of some TLC, but it feels nice and solid. At some point the wheels and brakes have been changed (it's got a Sturmey Archer 3 speed and hub dynamo - with working lights). You can even, just, see on the fork legs the gold lining. And the Brooks is remarkably sag free.

I think it's a Low-Built Sunbeam. Seems to have the chain bath, and the chap reckoned from some research he did years and years back that it's from 1935 (so post takeover, but still in nice shape). It will actually run at the moment, but already planning to strip it down completely and give it a new lease of life with a respray while I sort out what bits to keep and what to replace.

I offered the guy 50 quid. In a strange reversal of the normal haggling rules he said he'd take 20... I collect it on Sunday.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Hurrah for n+1! (30s Sunbeam)
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2008, 01:23:18 pm »
What Sturmey is it?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2008, 02:38:59 pm »
What Sturmey is it?

That I don't know. He reckons the wheels are from the 50s - certainly had it on before he bought it in the 70s.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3 on: 03 October, 2008, 04:51:21 pm »
I offered the guy 50 quid. In a strange reversal of the normal haggling rules he said he'd take 20...

Did you think of going to 70, to see if he'd take 10? :demon:

Nah - I wouldn't have either.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #4 on: 03 October, 2008, 04:53:35 pm »
I offered the guy 50 quid. In a strange reversal of the normal haggling rules he said he'd take 20...

Did you think of going to 70, to see if he'd take 10? :demon:

Nah - I wouldn't have either.

I did think of offering 30, but the upside down nature of the transaction confused me and I gave in at 20...