Author Topic: Cycle Magazine - that photo, that fixie-chick, that Merc  (Read 8336 times)

Che

Re: Cycle Magazine - that photo, that fixie-chick, that Merc
« Reply #50 on: 01 October, 2008, 11:02:00 am »
I must admit that I was a bit baffled to discover that my traditional clubman's fixed, pretty much like older riders had when I joined the South Lancs Road Club in the 1970s, is now a Fraudax bike.
Is that an inch-pitch chain? What's the gear, btw?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: 01 October, 2008, 12:46:49 pm »
Looking like yer average fixed audaxer is something to aspire to ?

<Teethgrinder pic snipped>

<photo by George Hanna>

I see...

...dead people ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #52 on: 01 October, 2008, 07:31:01 pm »
Fraudaxer doesn't mean someone who actually audaxes on fixed, any more than fakenger means someone who is actually a messenger.  It's someone who aspires to looking as though they do.

You mean they'll stop me and ask before deciding whether I am a fraudaxer or just a dull old club rider?

I do ride Audaxes, but not on fixed, and I don't mind what I look like. What does that make me?

« Reply #53 on: 01 October, 2008, 07:32:34 pm »
Is that an inch-pitch chain? What's the gear, btw?

Regular chain, regular old 67.5" gear.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #54 on: 02 October, 2008, 03:38:34 pm »
It's someone who aspires to looking as though they do.

:)

Looking like yer average fixed audaxer is something to aspire to ?

<photo by George Hanna>

I f that is what Audaxing does to you I do not want to look like one.....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #55 on: 02 October, 2008, 04:24:15 pm »
That's the point; a fraudaxer has all the kit but won't actually be found in Little Turdbottle Village Hall eating pasta at 3am before setting out on the next 100km leg of the ride, just like a fakenger goes for the cool kit but is more likely to be posing in bars than lugging a huge bag of papers through the muck in the City in the pissing rain.

Can't really put it better than Andy Gates' fabulous analysis:

Ich bin ein fraudax:  Carradice luggage on steel, but only turns up for a couple of rides a year, easy sociable ones, to be seen.  You'll not see me grovelling up Old Ballbreaker Pass or kipping in a skip at 4am, oh no, I'll be washing my bike on the days those rides are happening. 

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #56 on: 02 October, 2008, 04:27:49 pm »
That's the point; a fraudaxer has all the kit but won't actually be found in Little Turdbottle Village Hall eating pasta at 3am before setting out on the next 100km leg of the ride, just like a fakenger goes for the cool kit but is more likely to be posing in bars than lugging a huge bag of papers through the muck in the City in the pissing rain.

Ich bin ein fraudax:  Carradice luggage on steel, but only turns up for a couple of rides a year, easy sociable ones, to be seen.  You'll not see me grovelling up Old Ballbreaker Pass or kipping in a skip at 4am, oh no, I'll be washing my bike on the days those rides are happening. 

That must mean I'm a fraudaxer (although mine is Carradice or Brooks on titanium rather than steel) as I've never gone up Ole Ballbreaker Pass or slept in a skip at 4.00 a.m. (well, not whilst cycling).

However, I have audaxed (short ones admittedly) and done the Dun Run, which must count as an honorary audax...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

LEE

« Reply #57 on: 02 October, 2008, 04:38:08 pm »

That must mean I'm a fraudaxer (although mine is Carradice or Brooks on titanium rather than steel) as I've never gone up Ole Ballbreaker Pass or slept in a skip at 4.00 a.m. (well, not whilst cycling).

However, I have audaxed (short ones admittedly) and done the Dun Run, which must count as an honorary audax...

Have you ever hobbled into a Motorway Service Station and thought "That sticky carpet under the tables looks bloody comfy"?

Edit.  Not only have I thought that but my Carradice is attached to a bike with a sticker saying "Steel is Real" on it (so is my GPS though, which may lose me a few "True Audaxer Points")

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #58 on: 02 October, 2008, 04:42:09 pm »

Have you ever hobbled into a Motorway Service Station and thought "That sticky carpet under the tables looks bloody comfy"?

Edit.  Not only have I thought that but my Carradice is attached to a bike with a sticker saying "Steel is Real" on it (so is my GPS though, which may lose me a few "True Audaxer Points")

I've hobbled into a Village Hall and thought "That dirty, wet floor looks bloody comfy!"  Does that count?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #59 on: 02 October, 2008, 06:20:20 pm »
I've never gone up Ole Ballbreaker Pass

;D ;D ;D ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #60 on: 03 October, 2008, 09:25:29 am »

No, but even in the midst of physical delerium I have standards....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

bobajobrob

« Reply #61 on: 04 October, 2008, 09:01:10 am »
I love the inset:

(A fashion guru) bought a fixie this year. 'It goes with my Apple and Muji products' he says

So a fixie is a "product" now. I wonder how long before they start selling them in Ikea ;D :thumbsup: