Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 231461 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1250 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:04:01 pm »
Partner seems to like the syrup sponge that emerges from the microwave, served with custard made in same but it's not part of our diet at present.

Sainsbury's Basics syrup sponge in a tin is no more and I only buy other overpriced puds for Christmas.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1251 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:37:32 pm »
the ancient art of making a good, God's honest pudding seems to be lost on people. My old lady can't make it, my folks can't make it...

Can you make it?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #1252 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:59:41 pm »
I don't really like pudding. Or cake especially. Sweets in general.

When it comes to the war, I'll be on the front lines with the savouries. Fuck you cupcake, I gotta sausage roll and I definitely won't be afraid to use it. Pasties, with me!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1253 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:19:59 pm »
*lines up with Ian*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1254 on: 04 July, 2017, 03:47:34 pm »
Like Kant, I wish to develop my own unique epistemology.  But I also wish to know what is for pudding
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1255 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:12:02 pm »
There are times - usually the times when I'm grinding up an incline and cursing whomever came up with the bloody stupid idea of inverse-square laws - when I wish I didn't like puddings. But then I usually console myself that by the time I've made it to the top I must have earned myself another piece of cake at the next stop...

« Reply #1256 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:24:19 pm »
No cake for me.
Thanks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1257 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:21:07 pm »
Do you know why I hate pudding? Because the ancient art of making a good, God's honest pudding seems to be lost on people. My old lady can't make it, my folks can't make it, even the restaurants that pride themselves on their pudding, like Hawksmoor and Tibits, can't actually do it. What they all make is a modern gooey substance shaped into devilish forms that pretends to have the name of pudding.
I don't know what it is: the food, the means of cooking or the people. But pudding is disgustingly un-puddinglike these days. The only thing I can hope to get from pudding today os an aftertaste of added products. Or maybe I'm just being nostalgic for the times when I was a wee boy who loved the real food.

What's your definition of pudding, then?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #1258 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:58:09 pm »
Is this going to be an American pie thing? I hope so. Taking a love of puddings a little too literally. A lot, come to think of it. I'm not making 'that's not custard' joke, just so you know. I'm not that kind of person.

Anyway, I don't dislike cake in small amounts but it soon becomes too sweet but I generally skip dessert in favour of more starters. Savoury is where it's at. I have cunning plan for the weekend that involves a savoury snack sandwich safari. I'm making sandwiches with sausage rolls and scotch eggs. Possibly a pork pie.

And there will be crisps.

I'm quite looking forward to it.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1259 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:52:34 pm »
I very much favour savoury over sweet.

I often hear those dreaded words when out for a group meal: "Shall we skip starters and just do mains and puddings?".  It usually seems to be agreed by a majority of the diners, and so I feel unable to be the only one having a starter, thereby holding everyone else up in their quest to get to the sweet stuff.

I've been tempted, on more than one occasion, to start with the main along with everyone else, then ask for a starter menu when everyone else is having their dessert menus.  Haven't done it yet,  but it's only a matter of time.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1260 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:58:32 pm »
I've been tempted, on more than one occasion, to start with the main along with everyone else, then ask for a starter menu when everyone else is having their dessert menus.  Haven't done it yet,  but it's only a matter of time.
I have a friend who has done this (not me, although I too have been tempted). He once ordered soup when everyone else was having puddings and was told it was 'disgusting' by complete stranger sitting at another table.  ???
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1261 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:02:47 pm »
Whereas I have suggested Audaxers might benefit from having dessert before the main course...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1262 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:38:28 pm »
Whereas I have suggested Audaxers might benefit from having dessert before the main course...

Done that :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1263 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:33:45 pm »

I've been caught out several times.  2 course meal.  I've ordered starter and main.  Everyone else orders main and sweet.  I eat starter while everyone else watches.  Uncomfortable.   They're hating me cos I'm holding up proceedings.  Making them wait.

The starter as a second course is a brilliant idea.  Thank you.  I will do that.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1264 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:45:06 pm »
I have a friend who has done this (not me, although I too have been tempted). He once ordered soup when everyone else was having puddings and was told it was 'disgusting' by complete stranger sitting at another table.  ???

FTR, that's quite normal behaviour in China, where the soup is looked on as the pinnacle of the meal.

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #1265 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:58:38 pm »

I've been caught out several times.  2 course meal.  I've ordered starter and main.  Everyone else orders main and sweet.  I eat starter while everyone else watches.  Uncomfortable.   They're hating me cos I'm holding up proceedings.  Making them wait.

The starter as a second course is a brilliant idea.  Thank you.  I will do that.

I'll have _all_ the cheese, please.

« Reply #1266 on: 05 July, 2017, 11:13:26 am »
Uni-teen came home for summer (she isn't a teenager, she's 21, but has never worked, just done school, college, uni, so in terms of life experience, she's a teenager, I'm coining the phrase 'uni-teen').

She declared the intention of becoming vegan, along with the rest of the family, on ethical grounds. She was going to cook for us. I had no problem with that.

Only she wanted to use up the food we had first. No wasteage. That was wrong too.

Since then there has been an unending succession of meals involving beef (I don't really like beef). Home made salt beef. Roasted beef. Chinese beef. Pork. Slow roast pork. Salt pork. Gammon. Shredded pork.

More ruddy meat than I normally eat in a year. I feel like I'm a carnivore on a carnivore holiday tour. Bunged up from all the meat.

What happened to the vegan food?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1267 on: 05 July, 2017, 02:57:12 pm »
Is this on nutritional grounds or simply because they can make the main course while you're eating dessert, cutting down waiting time?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1268 on: 05 July, 2017, 03:21:13 pm »
Is this on nutritional grounds or simply because they can make the main course while you're eating dessert, cutting down waiting time?

I believe it's because sugar is digested easily, so you get the quick energy hit.

Whatever the reason, I have been known to follow helly's advice on this matter occasionally. I trust her scientific good sense and audaxing experience.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1269 on: 05 July, 2017, 03:36:00 pm »

Both, primarily nutritional.

Distance cyclists can arrive at a control with low blood sugar and sugar is rapidly absorbed and converted to glycogen. Desserts can often be prepared more quickly than main courses.

Main course food (meat and fat) might be more slowly absorbed than a dessert (sugar, starch and some emulsified fat).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1270 on: 05 July, 2017, 03:58:20 pm »

Why not order a starter while they have mains and a main when they have dessert?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1271 on: 05 July, 2017, 04:03:29 pm »
So dessert first for a quick sugar boost followed by main for proper food? Makes sense. OTOH there's the danger of dessert only. At a control on Saturday I wasn't really hungry so just had a cup of tea (not going anywhere without that!). Meanwhile, someone I was riding with had gone into the Co-op and was having a pavement picnic of salad and pasta, which made me think I might as well get something, so I went into Co-op and got a falafel wrap and Mars bar. Ate the Mars bar and off we set. Quarter of an hour later I went from full of energy and not hungry to very hungry and out of energy; I guess sugar crash. So I stopped in a field and ate the wrap, which made me feel much better.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1272 on: 05 July, 2017, 04:10:44 pm »
Proper food needs time to be eaten, both in terms of appetite and absorption. If you are hot and bothered, you might not fancy Real Food.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1273 on: 05 July, 2017, 04:11:40 pm »
I used to get insulted by dinner ladies at infant school for eating my desert first, I was happy to eat the main but I do prefer sugary stuff before the savoury. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1274 on: 05 July, 2017, 04:23:43 pm »
Their reason is that the dessert might 'spoil your appetite' for Real Food, which it might well do if you were faced with boiled cabbage...