Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 229821 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1700 on: 07 March, 2021, 07:22:41 pm »
The nearest Waitrose to us is Edinburgh. Not very close, doubt that would count as an essential journey. They do deliver to Aberdeen but it seems like it's a very exclusive club to get a delivery slot.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1701 on: 07 March, 2021, 08:04:26 pm »
Plenty in our Waitrose. I've given up on ever seeing tomato puree again though.
I've got a half tube in the fridge. What will you give me for it?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1702 on: 07 March, 2021, 08:59:09 pm »
Plenty in our Waitrose. I've given up on ever seeing tomato puree again though.
I've got a half tube in the fridge. What will you give me for it?
I still have ¾ of a tube in the fridge. I'm fairly sure Sains listed it on their website when I last looked, which implies it's available in NW London.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1703 on: 07 March, 2021, 10:53:10 pm »
We can get tubes of tomato puree, but I like those little canisters sold by Cirio. The puree leaves its nest with a reassuring "Splat!" when you succeed in persuading it to come out. WE haven't had one of those for some weeks.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

« Reply #1704 on: 08 March, 2021, 10:11:06 am »
Seriously, there's no tomato puree in the big supermarkets in Surrey. Maybe the bears got a taste for it. I have a couple of tubes, it's still findable in smaller shops. It's a curious thing to be consistently out of stock.

I got nabbed yesterday for messing with the Daily Mails (I always hide them behind the Croydon Guardian). There was a big tut from behind me. People won't be able to find them, she says. The point, succinctly. She seemed to agree and wandered off. Hopefully, I'm not on some kind of Waitrose blacklist. Don't make me go to Sainsbury's, I get itchy thinking about it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1705 on: 08 March, 2021, 10:19:38 am »
The IT manager for the UK HQ of a large canning company once told me that their low-end tomato puree was actually recovered pineapple mush with colouring. Back in the 70s, that was: probably not true these days.

Anyway, if you're out of puree and you have a spare pineapple, go for it.  You might have to experiment with salt etc.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1706 on: 08 March, 2021, 12:26:00 pm »
recovered pineapple mush

Presumably that's a euphemism for liquefied spiky bits.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1707 on: 08 March, 2021, 04:07:16 pm »
Thank you for the tomato puree reminder. Not only did that alert me to the fact we have none in reserve (stop deleting things from my favourites list, dammit), but also to the fact that I had not defrosted the passata for tonight's pizza.

Furrybootoon Sainsbo's appears to have all manner of tubes and tins of tomato puree.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1708 on: 08 March, 2021, 04:19:02 pm »
recovered pineapple mush

Presumably that's a euphemism for liquefied spiky bits.

It was the cores after they'd, well, cored the fruit to make pineapple chunks.  He didn't mention the rinds.  I heard once that the spikes are slightly toxic.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1709 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:19:57 pm »
Waitrose have tins of coconut milk again, and also dried coconut milk.

« Reply #1710 on: 16 March, 2021, 07:56:19 am »
What, is there some sort of national coconut milk shortage now? Are there thousands of tins lost in a container at Folkestone Felixstowe?
I can't get the stuff reliably, Sainsbo's subbed me a super expensive tin of Amoy last week which was fine but now they deny all knowledge of it.

I was going to distress purchase a 4 pack of Biona Organic from Ama$on but their reviewers swing wildly between 'amazing' and 'fucking vile'.

There's none in the house and it's the weekend and I don't have a sodding piña colada!  >:( (Oh, the huge manatee).

Sorry, it is our fault.

MrsC has been stockpiling the stuff (along with dried pulses in 10 varieties. Bought in 1-2kg amounts each).

I think we currently have over 10 tins of coconut milk, plus coconut cream.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1711 on: 16 March, 2021, 08:13:02 am »
There also seems to be a Marmite shortage. Maybe its because it is (or at least was) based on a  by-product of the brewing industry. Presumably with all the pubs closed there is a shortage of yeast extract.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1712 on: 16 March, 2021, 08:36:36 am »
There also seems to be a Marmite shortage. Maybe its because it is (or at least was) based on a  by-product of the brewing industry. Presumably with all the pubs closed there is a shortage of yeast extract.

Allegedly that is so, but logic tells me it's is rubbish as all the breweries I know are running full pelt just to stand still (Bad Co, Brass Castle, Three Brothers to name but three local ones)

Maybe it's just those that rely on the On-sales market (InBev) that are suffering?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1713 on: 16 March, 2021, 12:45:10 pm »
Yeah, I'd have assumed (dangerous I know...) that Marmite would get its yeast from an industrial brewer - not sure anyone else would produce the necessary volume? IIRC there's a bit in Mark Dredge's Lager book about visiting Carling(?) in Burton, and tanker-loads of spent yeast heading to Marmite from the brewery yard.

At-home drinking is obviously up by a lot, but AIUI overall beer sales are heavily down by volume for the past year.

« Reply #1714 on: 16 March, 2021, 04:53:07 pm »
Marmite (Unilever) isn't going to be getting waste from nice breweries who make craft beer. They'll be getting it from industrial processes who have reduced their output.
We (as a society, not as a household) drink nice beer and nasty wine at home, but nice wine and nasty beer when we're out.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1715 on: 16 March, 2021, 08:12:13 pm »
What, is there some sort of national coconut milk shortage now? Are there thousands of tins lost in a container at Folkestone Felixstowe?
I can't get the stuff reliably, Sainsbo's subbed me a super expensive tin of Amoy last week which was fine but now they deny all knowledge of it.

I was going to distress purchase a 4 pack of Biona Organic from Ama$on but their reviewers swing wildly between 'amazing' and 'fucking vile'.

There's none in the house and it's the weekend and I don't have a sodding piña colada!  >:( (Oh, the huge manatee).

Sorry, it is our fault.

MrsC has been stockpiling the stuff (along with dried pulses in 10 varieties. Bought in 1-2kg amounts each).

I think we currently have over 10 tins of coconut milk, plus coconut cream.

:o
We now have 2 tins of light milk (too thin really), 2 small cartons of coconut cream (to be diluted and assessed for suitability) and a block of creamed coconut, for emergencies and experimentation.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1716 on: 19 March, 2021, 06:25:53 pm »
It's Friday night, and Pingu is currently in the kitchen experimenting with a tin of light coconut milk and a block of creamed coconut. He doesn't look very impressed  :-\

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1717 on: 19 March, 2021, 06:28:18 pm »
Hoist that gin pennant!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1718 on: 01 April, 2021, 07:40:32 pm »
The person responsible for the design of the lid-cum-grinder on the top of the wee jars of Hot & Smoky Chipotle sold in Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles needs badly to be tracked down and sent into internal exile in Edmonton with only dried chilli flakes and dead dogs to eat.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #1719 on: 01 April, 2021, 07:48:32 pm »
The person responsible for the design of the lid-cum-grinder on the top of the wee jars of Hot & Smoky Chipotle sold in Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles needs badly to be tracked down and sent into internal exile in Edmonton with only dried chilli flakes and dead dogs to eat.

That's worthy of a found poem.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1720 on: 01 April, 2021, 08:56:25 pm »
It's the result of some Lobachevskian research into the literary estate of my late chum Mr Sunshine.  And of course the kitchen floor being liberally festooned with Hot & Smoky Chipotle.

« Reply #1721 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:17:50 am »

Checking today, our Tesco has loads of Marmite containing products (crunchy and smooth peanut butter, Hummus) but no actual Marmite  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1722 on: 02 April, 2021, 05:14:20 pm »
Marmite-flavoured products are HUGELY priced, compared with the individual components.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1723 on: 02 April, 2021, 05:20:29 pm »
They call it 'adding value' in marketing I believe.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1724 on: 02 April, 2021, 05:25:10 pm »
I know but I don't even LIKE Marmite.
And I'm mean...