Author Topic: The Snake Pass  (Read 6350 times)

The Snake Pass
« on: 05 June, 2015, 10:59:49 am »
Just a public service notice that The Snake Pass is closed to motor vehicles until June 14th but is still passable on bicycle and foot while Derbyshire Council are carrying out maintenance works on some retaining walls.

Last night a small group of us rode from Sheffield to Glossop and back and it was absolutely fantastic to be able to ride on virtually traffic free roads from Ladybower Reservoir. Vehicular access is still permitted to the Derwent Resevoir, private homes, farms and The Snake Inn but vehicular traffic was negligible. If you have the chance to ride this road before it reopens and it tickles your fancy then now is an ideal time to do it. Obviously if you head over in the daytime then you should be careful around any works traffic but during the evening no works were ongoing and it was wonderfully serene and peaceful out there.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Snake Pass
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2015, 11:03:15 am »
That sounds wonderful. I wish I were up there to do it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2015, 01:09:13 pm »
Hmm...

Si_Co

« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2015, 01:31:58 pm »
Good innit, the plan is to meets Mrs S and Marj in Bakwell next week via the snake and Winnats:

https://www.strava.com/routes/2482681

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:53:49 pm »
Hmm...

It's a road that isn't particularly Darkside friendly but I guess if there were ever a time to have a crack, this is it. I might be tempted to take a second attempt lying down.

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:13:58 pm »
Gosh, I've been intending to train flat this month because of the GMC but now I really want to do this!

« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2015, 03:32:19 pm »
It's only half a day out of your training schedule. Potter up it on a rest day.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2015, 04:31:07 pm »
Hmm...

It's a road that isn't particularly Darkside friendly but I guess if there were ever a time to have a crack, this is it. I might be tempted to take a second attempt lying down.

I've driven it many times, but never got round to cycling it (other than a pootle round the reservoir in MTB mode once).

Not sure I've got much in the way of fitness, but I suppose I could take all day and use the 19" gear...

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2015, 06:42:51 pm »
Did it today...
Bit of a headwind for the final km at the top westbound but otherwise fine and traffic free!!
The road surfaces leave a lot to be desired in a lot of places and other roads in the Peaks are a lot better though not as high!
I am thinking of doing it again from the Glossop side next week before it re-opens. That will mean either Mam Nick or Winnats to get there...

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2015, 08:26:59 pm »

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2015, 09:30:38 pm »
Hmm. Wonder what it would be like from the Summit to Glossop on a Wincheetah . . . <whistling innocently>
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2015, 11:15:34 pm »
Tell us tomorrow!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2015, 12:05:33 am »
Sounds good. I rode up it at night on a February evening when at a meeting in Manchester. 40 miles of cold and ended up very hypo afterwards.
Nice ride and not as hard as I thought it would be.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:37:49 pm »
I rode from Sheffield to Macclesfield via the Snake and the inlaw's house in Disley today.  Took a little detour and did the loop of the north end of the Ladybower reservoir, because the one thing a recumbent grimpfest needs is a bit of comedy off-roading.   The photos mostly speak for themselves[1], including the sunburn factor:

Anyone with a bike and a working set of legs would do well to go and ride it before the cars come back.  It's full of cheery cyclists, and you can hear waterfalls and things rather than motor traffic.  :thumbsup:  I did have to wait for a while as the road was completely blocked by a line-painting vehicle taking on what I assume was more line paint from another lorry pulled alongside, but there was another waiting cyclist to chat to.

No heroic descending, I'm afraid.  I barely got above 40mph.  Too many works vehicles and cones in the wrong places, and I'd need to be more familiar with the road.

For reference, the ride from Disley to Macclesfield was much harder than the Snake.  The gradients on the A57 are surprisingly Welsh.

I think I drank about 2.5 litres of water.

[1] Apart from the ducks, who were thirsty and kept wanting their water bowl refilled.  You'd think ducks would arrange their own drinking water, but evidently not...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:53:10 pm »
I am so jealous! I have driven over there loads of times and often thought about cycling it. And the weather! It's been cold and windy here dahn sahf, in fact, nowt to laff at at all.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:55:33 pm »
I won't mention the wind, then...

(click to show/hide)

Was also an opportunity to finally meet my nephew without getting in the way.  Nice kid.  Needs to eat more so he can grow some cycling legs.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #16 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:35:57 am »
Did the Snake for a second motorcar freeish time yesterday.

Hi Kim!! Sorry I did not recognise you and stop to talk at the Ashopton Viaduct at the bottom of the snake.  :-[
Nice photos.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #17 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:58:08 am »
For reference, the ride from Disley to Macclesfield was much harder than the Snake. 

My old neighbourhood - I was raised in Disley.  No, there are not many flat sensible routes between Disley and Macclesfield.  There are some very challenging ways indeed. 

Photos look ace - I wish I could sneak up there whilst the Snake is closed. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 11 June, 2015, 10:35:04 am »
I toyed with the idea of doing this on either Saturday or Sunday. It would cost me almost £70 in train fairs and, according to the forecast, will be pissing down both days.

Perhaps Derbyshire CC can organise a Cycle the Snake weekend every summer and close it to motor traffic for a couple of days!  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 11 June, 2015, 11:35:02 am »
Perhaps Derbyshire CC can organise a Cycle the Snake weekend every summer and close it to motor traffic for a couple of days!  :thumbsup:

As a keen environmentalist of course, you'd realise that the 25 mile diversion would probably be too high a price to pay  :demon: :D

Looks like the permanently annoyed aren't impressed with those blummin' cyclists...

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/grassroots/fears-for-cyclists-seen-riding-on-snake-pass-while-the-road-is-closed-1-7301940

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #20 on: 11 June, 2015, 12:10:29 pm »
I see that no-one was actually quoted as having fears for the cyclists. This seems to have been made up by a bored reporter with an axe to grind.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 11 June, 2015, 12:18:47 pm »
Fears that the cyclists might be having too much fun, presumably...

Anyway, I got permission from the guy with the cones, so it's all official, like.

Absolutely agree that closing the road to motor traffic one Sunday a month would be an excellent idea.  There wasn't a shortage of walkers, either.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 11 June, 2015, 12:36:06 pm »
For reference, the ride from Disley to Macclesfield was much harder than the Snake. 

My old neighbourhood - I was raised in Disley.  No, there are not many flat sensible routes between Disley and Macclesfield.  There are some very challenging ways indeed. 

Inlaws' house is halfway up the Buxton Old Road, so, I took the Higher Lane / B5470 route, on the somewhat dubious basis that I'd ridden about half of it before on a Brompton, so it couldn't be too bad, could it?  Not an ideal route if you're trying not to miss a train, as you spend the first half watching the time ticking away and the kilometres very much not, then the final run into Macclesfield happens in a couple of minutes.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #23 on: 11 June, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »

Inlaws' house is halfway up the Buxton Old Road, so, I took the Higher Lane / B5470 route, on the somewhat dubious basis that I'd ridden about half of it before on a Brompton, so it couldn't be too bad, could it?  Not an ideal route if you're trying not to miss a train, as you spend the first half watching the time ticking away and the kilometres very much not, then the final run into Macclesfield happens in a couple of minutes.

I know the route well and it's not one to do in a hurry!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #24 on: 11 June, 2015, 02:00:24 pm »
I won't mention the wind, then...

(click to show/hide)

Was also an opportunity to finally meet my nephew without getting in the way.  Nice kid.  Needs to eat more so he can grow some cycling legs.

We did Saddleworth Moor on Saturday morning.  West to East, Stalybridge to Holmfirth, with a heck of a westerly tailwind (30-45mph I'm told).  It certainly didn't require much pedalling.

Sounds like you got very lucky with the change of wind direction "ovvert Moor".

I was born, raised, schooled and forced to work by British Telecom, just 6km from Disley.  I would never challenge anyone from Disley to a hilly cycle race.

Actually I drove to Stockport at the weekend via the M1 for a change and came in via the Peak District, my old cycle stomping ground from a lifetime ago (and, more importantly, 5 stone ago). I was amazed that I was able to cycle anywhere.  It's so F***ing hilly isn't it?  Have the council been out, increasing the gradients, over the last 25 years?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.