Author Topic: Wiltshire tour - there is a plan!  (Read 27756 times)

Re: Wiltshire tour - there is a plan!
« Reply #50 on: 10 August, 2015, 04:00:53 pm »
Very kind of yourself and 'im indoors to come up with such a generous offer. As I'm only about an hour or so up the line, I'm personally quite flexible on arrangements. It would be a pity to miss an opportunity for camping out though.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 18 August, 2015, 06:38:53 pm »
Request for a summary: Dates, plans, places?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #52 on: 18 August, 2015, 06:46:48 pm »
It's mid-thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91360.msg1883496#msg1883496

JBB, maybe you could add these to the original post and add dates to the title and stuff?
(You might want to re-assert your policy on cat-hearding, too!)  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #53 on: 18 August, 2015, 07:04:25 pm »
Thanks!

« Reply #54 on: 18 August, 2015, 09:04:38 pm »
It's mid-thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91360.msg1883496#msg1883496

JBB, maybe you could add these to the original post and add dates to the title and stuff?
(You might want to re-assert your policy on cat-hearding, too!)  ;D

Good thinking; although life is getting better so generally more optimistic!
Reine de la Fauche

Re: Wiltshire tour - possible group ride?
« Reply #55 on: 19 August, 2015, 01:55:50 am »
... to our resting place for the night – The Barge Inn, Honey St.
Take ear plugs - the last two times I camped at the Barge, there were oiks playing the bongos until 3 am.
I was irritated enough that I bought a schraeder valve core remover ready for next time (I'll probably forget it).

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #56 on: 19 August, 2015, 08:36:03 am »
If you do stay at Honeystreet breakfast can be obtained just outside Woodborough at the garden centre.

OTOH if you revert to an earlier plan and stop at the bottom of Caen hill the C&C camp site has superb facilities, 22:00 noise curfew and if memory serves is £0.20 dearer than the Barge Inn.

Have fun all.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #57 on: 19 August, 2015, 09:38:10 am »
The Barges website says they've demolished the old toilets & shower & have a temporary unit in its place.
The last time I stayed there you needed wellies in the loo. Not good when all you have are Shimano sandals!

It's 4 1/2 hours & 2 changes to get to Salisbury by train, so I'll probably give this a miss. Hope you all have fun.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #58 on: 19 August, 2015, 10:02:58 am »
Sounds very tempting but unfortunately we're not available.   :(

Thankfully the trains look mega meh too so there's no temptation from that perspective.   Phew!!!

Hope that you all have a great time and look forward to seeing lots of you at Long Itch at the end of September.  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #59 on: 19 August, 2015, 12:50:53 pm »
I'd like to know who's planning to come as I will need to phone the campsite at Rudge if there's more than 4 of us!
I'm planning to. I've even checked the trains and they only cost about the same as what we paid for Prague - Vienna, so by UK standards that's a bargain! Do we need to book other sites in advance or just turn up? I'm presuming as it's not in school hols it'll be fairly quiet.

« Reply #60 on: 19 August, 2015, 01:02:33 pm »
I'd like to know who's planning to come as I will need to phone the campsite at Rudge if there's more than 4 of us!
I'm planning to. I've even checked the trains and they only cost about the same as what we paid for Prague - Vienna, so by UK standards that's a bargain! Do we need to book other sites in advance or just turn up? I'm presuming as it's not in school hols it'll be fairly quiet.

The only one I've checked is Brokerswood as they don't take groups.  I asked and their major concern is loud parties,  so happy to have us as it is low season.  I've checked the Barge website but should phone, I don't suppose Friday will be as busy.

HTH
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 19 August, 2015, 01:20:14 pm »
Also planning to come.  I'm thinking of using cycle-touring tactics to get there, though may train back.

« Reply #62 on: 19 August, 2015, 08:40:52 pm »
Also planning to come.  I'm thinking of using cycle-touring tactics to get there, though may train back.

There used to be a direct train from Salisbury to Brum some years ago......You're welcome to get here early. pm me for details if required!
Reine de la Fauche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #63 on: 25 August, 2015, 09:11:49 am »
I have plans for the Thursday now so intend to catch the first available train on Friday. This will involve you all leaving without me as my train won't get into Salisbury until 12.42. However, 32 miles at touring speed is 4 hours' cycling so I will meet you all at the camp site if that is OK.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #64 on: 25 August, 2015, 10:48:18 am »
Oh! I don't think I've declared my Officially In-ness on here yet: cycling up with JBB and Sis to the cathedral rendezvous.

So, who have we got?
I make it:

Definite:
JBB + Sis
nikki
Wowbagger (joining at first campsite)
Robh
Kim
Cudzoziemiec

Unconfirmed:
Dibdib
JenM
TimC
Flatbar Steve

Is that about right?

Really looking forward to this now!

« Reply #65 on: 25 August, 2015, 11:09:48 am »
I'll pm everyone  on the short list my contact details this evening. Anyone else can contact me via pm up to the evening before if they plan on joining us.
HTH
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #66 on: 25 August, 2015, 01:07:21 pm »
If you do stay at The Barge, I could get onto the fixed and pop down the road !!  Well the 4 odd miles  ;D

« Reply #67 on: 25 August, 2015, 10:28:21 pm »
I have plans for the Thursday now so intend to catch the first available train on Friday. This will involve you all leaving without me as my train won't get into Salisbury until 12.42. However, 32 miles at touring speed is 4 hours' cycling so I will meet you all at the camp site if that is OK.

We'll try not to drink all the beer before you get there!
Reine de la Fauche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 01 September, 2015, 10:23:35 pm »
Okay, I have half a plan, in the sense of a train ticket out of Winchester on the Sunday evening after the bustitution is over.  I think the geographically sensible approach is to follow Wowbagger's lead and meet at the first campsite, having cycled my way down from Brum via somewhere roughly in the middle.  (Any suggestions for campsites on a roughly Gloucester-Bicester line of latitude welcome).

« Reply #69 on: 01 September, 2015, 10:47:24 pm »
Okay, I have half a plan, in the sense of a train ticket out of Winchester on the Sunday evening after the bustitution is over.  I think the geographically sensible approach is to follow Wowbagger's lead and meet at the first campsite, having cycled my way down from Brum via somewhere roughly in the middle.  (Any suggestions for campsites on a roughly Gloucester-Bicester line of latitude welcome).

http://www.hardwickparks.co.uk/ might do. Big site but backpacker rate of £7.50 and the hot showers are included in the price and are hot! Oh and it's lovely and quiet. If you arrive via Witney you can pickup supplies here then a short flat ride south. Otherwise several pubs within easy access.
Reine de la Fauche

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #70 on: 02 September, 2015, 08:45:38 am »
I think I'm likely out for the camping shenanigans, sadly. Sorry chums.

« Reply #71 on: 02 September, 2015, 09:08:33 am »
I think I'm likely out for the camping shenanigans, sadly. Sorry chums.

Always another time!
Reine de la Fauche

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #72 on: 02 September, 2015, 09:33:17 am »
On the way back from Long Itch last time, I spent a night here: http://www.bluebellfarmbandb.co.uk Just on the right (ie left) side of Upton-on-Severn. Ignore the ranks of mobyhomes, beyond those there's a big field which I had all to myself, next to the 'Shepherd's hut'. £4 a night though the woman who runs it said "£8 minimum" when I turned up. Despite that, it was ok, though would not cope well with being busy.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #73 on: 02 September, 2015, 09:34:21 am »
Also thinking of taking the Wow and Kim approach of turning up at first campsite, but have yet to formulate a plan.

« Reply #74 on: 02 September, 2015, 12:26:34 pm »
Afraid I am out. I have been invited at short notice to stay at a friend's place this week end up't north, as the Tour of Britain is going past his front door. An offer too good to miss. Otherwise I should be decorating. I was away last week end at Mildenhall and will also be at Long Itch. Nuff said!  :(
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain