Author Topic: Best Cake Stops (also beer)  (Read 181957 times)

Re: Best Cake Stops (also beer)
« Reply #125 on: 26 May, 2014, 08:26:47 pm »
Big shout for this thread.   Just put a few on local to me.   Will be adding a few Orkney and Shetland venues when time allows.

« Reply #126 on: 14 June, 2014, 07:39:26 pm »
Cracking lovely friendly cafe in Tobermory, Mull--just about 200yd along from ferry terminus near turn up to Dervaig; Tobermory bakery; real friendly staff, very good braekfast and lots choices filled rolls, pizzas, pies, cakes. A life saver (almost but was real done in after riidng Strontian > Kilchoan ferry early morning).

:thumbsup: ;D ;D Superb coffe too and here`s the selection of cakes  ----no beer but Tobermory distillery just further up the road !

....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #127 on: 10 July, 2014, 12:04:43 pm »
I am a bit confused as to how to add a cake stop to the map, however I would like to add the Darran Bridge cafe, just off the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal (Crumlin Arm) above Risca. Here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51%C2%B037%2705.5%22N+3%C2%B006%2728.2%22W/@51.6181905,-3.107836,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

It's on national cycle route 47.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #128 on: 31 July, 2014, 04:41:21 pm »
Pilgrim bikes at Westhumble. Nice owner, nice bikes, good coffee and a cold kitkat. Perfect!

« Reply #129 on: 02 September, 2014, 04:44:53 pm »
I can't make this work at work... but

High Paradise Tea Rooms, Boltby (Bank Top), North Yorkshire (accessible by bike or on foot only!) open weekends until the schools go back, then closed over the winter before reopening in the spring. Lovely homemade cakes, scones and bacon sarnies, tea and coffee, in a lovely farmhouse setting. great place. As it's only accessible without a car, the road bike access is from halfway up boltby bank (saving you from the steepest bit), MTB (or walkers) from the Paradise Trails from Sutton Bank centre.

Lordstones Cafe, Carlton Bank, North Yorkshire, nicely re-done recently, do an excellent lunch as well as HUGE slices of cake!

Roots Farm Shop and Cafe, Rounton, North Yorkshire, farm shop who also have a very very good cafe, cyclist friendly with bike racks outside, and quite used to sweaty/mucky/wet people arriving in need of sustenance!

trying to think where else we stop....

the Ship Inn at Sewerby, good local beer selection, also do cake.
The wolds galleries and tea room, awesome cream tea, but not the most bike friendly and will ask you to sit outside (fine in nice weather!)

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #130 on: 10 November, 2014, 11:12:25 pm »
Hm - I found after attempting to map a location that it was already done. On another page! This thing has pages? Ok, will look back in later. Some of those page entries look a little weird. And my entry appears on a different one to the one I first opened the map at. Ah well, it's a nice cafe..

Later:
Interesting. Using Chrome, at home, not all of the locations showed at first, they were split over several pages and dribble down into non-refreshment map and directions references.
At work on IE everything is on the same page, a long list and many pins on the map.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #131 on: 23 November, 2014, 09:30:23 am »
Hornsea (Sigglesthorne) Spring Garden Centre.

Map thing seems to have changed, argh - worse than Asda moving all the shelves around... >:( took a while to find the buttons and features again.

« Reply #132 on: 23 November, 2014, 09:35:45 am »
Hornsea (Sigglesthorne) Spring Garden Centre.

Map thing seems to have changed, argh - worse than Asda moving all the shelves around... >:( took a while to find the buttons and features again.

Thats interesting! shall give it a try :thumbsup:

« Reply #133 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:57:58 am »
I've added The Apple Pie in Carnwath (west end of the A70 Lang Whang), which does fantastic bacon rolls for little dosh  :thumbsup:  There's another one in Biggar owned by the same folk but you pay tourist prices there.

« Reply #134 on: 22 March, 2015, 06:20:43 pm »
The Conduit in Middleton in Teesdale has a bikers' special - 3 quid for a buttie of your choice and a drink.

« Reply #135 on: 23 March, 2015, 02:42:47 pm »
I've added a few west of Leicester.
Can't do the symbols on an iPad, but will try to edit when I'm near a proper 'puter
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Chicane

• short for Bob
« Reply #136 on: 11 April, 2015, 07:20:27 pm »
Favourite is Lunch Belles at Hawkhurst in Kent. Just the other side of Bedgebury Forest in the High Banks Nursery/Garden Centre. It is worth the deviation from the main cycle route (Route 18) and away from the crowds at Bedgebury when busy. Really nice home cooked food and always seem to meet some interesting characters in there. A place where you can sit inside in the warm and still see your bike or sit in the well kept garden when it is sunny. Absolutely not just for 'ladies wot lunch' but I did get a free Bucks Fizz on Mother's Day! :)

https://twitter.com/lunchbelles

« Reply #137 on: 13 April, 2015, 12:25:30 pm »
I've just added Tropical Birdland in Desford, not far from me in Leicester to the map.
Very strange! Sitting at the outside table this morning with obligatory coffee & cake and a bloody great macaw ( parrot sort of thing) came screeching down at me - didn't seem interested in the cake, but seemed to be eyeing up my bike - bird with good taste maybe?
I've known this place to be used by local CTC sections for some time, but have never been before. Not expensive, and plenty of room.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #138 on: 25 April, 2015, 09:45:43 pm »
I've added the charming Old Smithy Tea Rooms in Caldbeck, Cumbria. Brilliant place - they usually bring out racks of fresh cakes as you're ordering. Go for the cheese scones with cheese :P

It closed, but is now under new management. Closes at 4 pm on weekdays, very friendly staff, I can't comment on the cheese scones as they'd ran out.

I've also added the garden centre at Plumpton, which is in a really handy spot for cyclists, and where the staff took pity on my shivering, bedraggled state and fed me free coffee earlier today :D

Apparently there's a tea room in Greystoke, but I found the multiplicity of really-closely-lettered signs bewildering, and gave it a miss. They may have made more sense at pootling pace, but I was freezing cold, an the only way to keep warm was to keep my effort up.

« Reply #139 on: 01 June, 2015, 02:42:36 pm »
Have added a couple of stops around Cambridge - the community cafe in Swavesey is particularly good (and a favourite of the local CTC), though alas Thursday mornings only.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #140 on: 21 June, 2015, 11:30:36 pm »

Dinton Pastures Country Park (just a little way east of Reading) does some good cakes. When I needed a 100 to qualify for R1000 I used it as the far control for a DIY, and left the staff there wondering why I cycled from London to Reading just to have a piece of cake and then cycle home again. The downside is they keep country park hours so don't expect cake at silly-o-clock.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
recommended caffs
« Reply #141 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:01:45 pm »
Spoilt for choice, Eccleshall road Sheffield. The best cup of coffee I've ever been served that I've paid for. Also the most wonderful BLT in the best bread I've ever had. Only a small place, with few tables inside and out, but a good welcome and food to die for.

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
Re: recommended caffs
« Reply #142 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:05:00 pm »
P.S. To my first post, the staff obviously recognised me as transgender, (Not difficult!), but were so welcoming. So tactful. and so kind. I will remember them well.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #143 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:06:48 pm »
I've sadly deleted Greasy Joe's in Cirencester, which has been closed for a while, but I've added Darkroom Espresso and @thehub in Swindon - a bike-friendly artisan coffee place and a combined cafe/LBS, respectively.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #144 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:07:51 pm »
What's the place called?
<pedant> There's no 'h' in Ecclesall Road, S11. (It's not in Staffordshire...)

« Reply #145 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:06:13 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #146 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:19:34 pm »
Aah sorry!

Ben T

« Reply #147 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:38:34 pm »
Also good is bragazzis on abbeydale road for coffee and good deli sandwiches and that butchers up sharrowvale road for sandwiches.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #148 on: 01 August, 2015, 09:13:47 pm »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #149 on: 01 December, 2015, 10:10:22 pm »
Excellent and pleasantly located, fair trade cafe with sensible pricing, located in Bourn village to the west of Cambridge. Unfortunately not open sundays.

http://www.abantufairtrade.co.uk/
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain