Author Topic: Cat and Fiddle October 2016 - Guy Martin and Sean Kelly  (Read 7958 times)

Cat and Fiddle October 2016 - Guy Martin and Sean Kelly
« on: 07 October, 2016, 12:36:39 pm »
Hi guys,

Saw this recently on Facebook.

Cat and Fiddle challenge 2016, 55 miles, starts in Stoke and travels through Peak District. £25.

Bit late notice as it is next Sunday 16th October. Looks a good one though as Guy Martin and Sean Kelly are riding. Both seem decent chaps.

More info here - www.catandfiddle.org

Re: Cat and Fiddle October 2016 - Guy Martin and Sean Kelly
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:27:19 pm »
Ride the Cat and Fiddle onna Sunday daytime? Not for love nor money.

YMMV

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:35:43 pm »

YMMV
Motorbikes?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2016, 01:46:31 pm »

YMMV
Motorbikes?

Yep, despite the fact that the pub is closed and there's average speed checks and airplane monitoring its still a bikers mecca with lots of looneys on it. The descent is fast enough, you can easily hit the 50mph limit, and technical enough on bicycle that you want the full lane, some of the bikers don't share nicely.

It's must ride road though, my preference is dawn on a summer Saturday, no bikers, no commuters, no heavy wagons, just stunning. Last time I rode it I think I saw 3 motor vehicles between Macc and Buxton.

EDIT: that would be the last time I climbed it, the last descent was Venetian Nights and I'm slow enough that it was evening and dark  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2016, 02:02:24 pm »
Most of the bikers will be going the opposite way at that time, typically Macc-Buxton-Matlock Bath (the other Peak District holy place for bikers)

The police are usually too busy scraping bikers off the road to bother about a few cyclists :demon:

« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2016, 02:13:07 pm »
I'd expect that they will have a feed station in the car park at the Cat, but if they don't a top tip is the tap round the back of the pub is still switched on to fill your bottles from.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2016, 06:42:56 pm »
Yep, despite the fact that the pub is closed and there's average speed checks and airplane monitoring its still a bikers mecca with lots of looneys on it. The descent is fast enough, you can easily hit the 50mph limit, and technical enough on bicycle that you want the full lane, some of the bikers don't share nicely.

It's must ride road though, my preference is dawn on a summer Saturday, no bikers, no commuters, no heavy wagons, just stunning. Last time I rode it I think I saw 3 motor vehicles between Macc and Buxton.

What really needs to happen is for someone to close it for a week to fettle the brickwork