Author Topic: Tour of California  (Read 1741 times)

Tour of California
« on: 12 May, 2014, 09:54:43 pm »

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Tour of California
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2014, 10:45:31 pm »
IIRC, he's gone from a 52cm frame to a 50 or 48 this year (it's stiffer). I think that was on BikeRadar or RoadCC a couple of months ago.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2014, 08:47:18 am »
Was watching a bit on Eurosport last night, and seeing the mighty Pacific on the right as riders snaked their way down along the serpentine road in 85F heat.

Didn't realise Axel Rose Merckx was Director of a team, or that he'd stopped racing.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2014, 10:31:56 am »
The TV coverage is SO bad it's unreal.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2014, 10:54:47 am »
Mr Bwiggins is doing a bit well though :)  If his TT form is that good this year, what else can we expect to see him do later in the season?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2014, 11:05:17 am »
His TT form is good, but I think he might need to work a bit on tactics and, maybe, climbing.

The Mt Diablo finish showed he could lead out, and do so for a long time, but he obviously badly miscalculated and his legs died the death shortly before the finish line which saw him drop from 1st to outside the top ten.

I do see, now, though that he is back in Gold.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2014, 11:24:45 am »
I'm not sure that Wiggins did get his tactics wrong on Mt. Diablo.
By riding as he did, he made it hard for anyone to attack him lower down the climb.
I think it was a calculated way to reduce his losses on the steep (and short) climax of the stage.
It'll be interesting to see how he goes on today's stage.
Sky need to keep one of their climbers fresh to help Wiggins up the mountain.
If they can ............
Unfortunately, I'm going to miss the coverage tonight 'cos I'll be riding York-Hull.

BTW: What an effort yesterday by Taylor Phinney.
I'd have loved the cameras to occasionally show the speed he was doing.

TimC

« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2014, 12:14:35 pm »
I really hope Bradley does well on Mountain High today. I have a spy at the finish, so I hope to get the inside griff on what state he's in. She'll be at Pasadena for tomorrow's finish too (and will probably have ridden the Angeles Crest Highway early in the morning, either today or tomorrow) so I'm looking forward to some decent race commentary!

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2014, 12:35:11 pm »
I really hope Bradley does well on Mountain High today. I have a spy at the finish, so I hope to get the inside griff on what state he's in. She'll be at Pasadena for tomorrow's finish too (and will probably have ridden the Angeles Crest Highway early in the morning, either today or tomorrow) so I'm looking forward to some decent race commentary!

State of California Tim. Hope that sorts out any confusion.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

TimC

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2014, 09:33:15 pm »
Ah, thanks mate. Glad you were around to clear that up! ;D

TimC

« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2014, 11:14:06 pm »
A very satisfactory result all round, I think. Now for the TdF...!