Author Topic: Diego Maradona RIP  (Read 5394 times)

Re: Diego Maradona RIP
« Reply #25 on: 27 November, 2020, 06:41:28 pm »

Possibly the world's worst statue of Maradona? It's in Calcutta. There's a statue of Pele in Bangalore which is equally bad – in fact the two look remarkably similar.

That's a better likeness than the Emanuel Santos-perpetrated bust of Ronaldo.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 27 November, 2020, 10:00:20 pm »
Pele ?
And Messi.

It's not difficult!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #27 on: 28 November, 2020, 01:50:19 pm »
Pele ?
And Messi.

It's not difficult!
Messi should be in jail for not paying tax (and in a footballing sense has been threatening those trying to run Barcelona every time they do something he doesn't like for the last decade).
Ronaldo (the Portugese one) is obvious.

I don't know a huge amount about Pele (he was playing in MLS by the time I was born), but he does have this absurd "1000 goals" claim that includes pre-season friendlies and a whole bunch of other non-competitive games.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #28 on: 28 November, 2020, 05:40:25 pm »
There was a brilliant movie released a couple of years ago just called Diego Maradonna. The story told in that is basically his time in Naples, and how in many ways, Naples was both the making of him on the field and the breaking of him off it. It's worth watching if you get a chance.

Tonight, Channel 4, 9:30pm
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 28 November, 2020, 05:52:00 pm »
Messi should be in jail for not paying tax (and in a footballing sense has been threatening those trying to run Barcelona every time they do something he doesn't like for the last decade).
It's up-to you, but in my mind that has got zip to do with cheating on the pitch.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #30 on: 28 November, 2020, 06:03:57 pm »
It's up-to you, but in my mind that has got zip to do with cheating on the pitch.
Sure, but the original comment was about the best player in the world typically being an egotistical arse.
As for cheating on the pitch, there can't be many players where their opponent has the boots that broke their ankle in a display case.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 28 November, 2020, 07:21:03 pm »
Ah OK - I probably skim-read that bit of the discussion.

Re: ankles
I've never seen the challenge that bust Diego's, but I gather it was "bang out of order" as we might say in Blighty! I wouldn't wish that on anyone - you can mark a guy out of the game without seriously injuring him :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 30 November, 2020, 09:07:08 pm »

Messadona
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #33 on: 01 December, 2020, 03:10:39 pm »
Ah OK - I probably skim-read that bit of the discussion.

Re: ankles
I've never seen the challenge that bust Diego's, but I gather it was "bang out of order" as we might say in Blighty! I wouldn't wish that on anyone - you can mark a guy out of the game without seriously injuring him :(

Unfortunately they couldn’t mark him out of the game, which is why they resorted to kicking him out of it instead. In no way am I defending the hand of god thing, but the ankle breakage came 3 years previously, so the concept of kicking him out of the game was well established.

A

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #34 on: 02 December, 2020, 09:36:41 am »
How one Spanish woman footballer chose to honour Maradona during the minute's silence ....
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 13 December, 2020, 01:53:32 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.