Author Topic: Gratuitous cat pics - new and improved!  (Read 561393 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Gratuitous cat pics - new and improved!
« Reply #1025 on: 05 November, 2010, 03:53:28 pm »
I've never seen one of those - is it a snake? A big worm? Why would a cat catch it it's not very mousy!

I love slow worms and am doing all I can to encourage them on the allotment.  They're slug eating machines  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1026 on: 05 November, 2010, 03:58:55 pm »
I've never seen one of those - is it a snake? A big worm? Why would a cat catch it it's not very mousy!

My cats are very obsessed with long stringy things so I think they like the way slow worms move.
Kiri is a very strange cat anyway, she has a thing for my daughters hair bands and every morning we find she has brought several of them downstairs and there are some in  her food bowl and some in her water. Natalie tried to hide them from her with limited success. She has also been known to catch a mouse and put it dead but uneaten in her food bowl  ???

« Reply #1027 on: 05 November, 2010, 09:04:19 pm »

I love slow worms and am doing all I can to encourage them on the allotment.  They're slug eating machines  :thumbsup:
Cooool :thumbsup: What do you do to encourage them - we have lots of food for them ;D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

corshamjim

« Reply #1028 on: 05 November, 2010, 09:15:32 pm »
Cooool :thumbsup: What do you do to encourage them - we have lots of food for them ;D.

Put an old sack on the ground and water it occasionally.  That will encourage the slugs.  The slow worms will soon find them and will be glad of the sack to hide under while they munch on the slugs.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1029 on: 06 November, 2010, 08:28:23 am »

Put an old sack on the ground and water it occasionally.  That will encourage the slugs.  The slow worms will soon find them and will be glad of the sack to hide under while they munch on the slugs.

If you have a compost heap, they'll often shack up in there.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
Re: Gratuitous cat pics - new and improved! - up-n-over
« Reply #1030 on: 06 November, 2010, 08:46:47 am »
Lara n Spyro waiting to be fed.

« Reply #1031 on: 06 November, 2010, 07:05:48 pm »

Also put down something for them to bask under - a small sheet of metal or black tile, something that warms up in the sun. Slow worms are protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act, so if you can encourage them it might help slow down the decrease in numbers.  :thumbsup:

They're lizards, so if you do find a living one that a cat has brought in be careful how you pick it up. They shed their tails to deter predators so you could end up with a handful of tail, no slow worm, and lots of blood!

Abnormal for Norfolk

« Reply #1032 on: 06 November, 2010, 07:40:29 pm »

Also put down something for them to bask under - a small sheet of metal or black tile, something that warms up in the sun. Slow worms are protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act, so if you can encourage them it might help slow down the decrease in numbers.  :thumbsup:

They're lizards, so if you do find a living one that a cat has brought in be careful how you pick it up. They shed their tails to deter predators so you could end up with a handful of tail, no slow worm, and lots of blood!

I picked him up by coaxing him onto a door mat which I then rolled up and carried him outside in :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1033 on: 17 November, 2010, 06:31:32 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1034 on: 17 November, 2010, 06:53:02 pm »
time to turn a second radiator on. 

« Reply #1035 on: 17 November, 2010, 07:36:32 pm »
LOL, u need to caption that and stick it on Lolcats!

« Reply #1036 on: 17 November, 2010, 08:30:04 pm »
Every time I see a pic of Claude I wonder what Bertie is doing in someone else's house  ;D

Martin

« Reply #1037 on: 02 December, 2010, 06:17:36 pm »
I dug a trench in the snow for the cats to get to the bushes for necessities; however it's found a new strategic purpose (the one in the foreground is under the trampoline)

« Reply #1038 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:28:11 pm »
I dug a trench in the snow for the cats to get to the bushes for necessities; ...

Talisker went out on Tuesday, to deal with an urgent problem, but decided that he didn't like this white stuff at all, came back inside, and hasn't gone out again since.  Luckily he's got an electric litter tray, since I don't let him out at night any more, so he's been using that under duress.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1039 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:37:24 pm »
In the worst weather I sometimes find to my horror that Kiri and Rico have nominated some soft absorbant surface of the house as their temporary toilet. Last winter the spare bed got awarded this special status  ::-)

border-rider

« Reply #1040 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:43:59 pm »
We only got the cat flap working this week, so the kittens have been using a litter tray until now.  Despite frozen ground, they are transitioning to outside doings and the litter tray is being far less used :thumbsup:

I hate having a litter tray in the house.

« Reply #1041 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:49:08 pm »
We only got the cat flap working this week, so the kittens have been using a litter tray until now.  Despite frozen ground, they are transitioning to outside doings and the litter tray is being far less used :thumbsup:

I hate having a litter tray in the house.

yeah i hate it too, my guys are inherantly lazy and if I supply a litter tray they both use it for all of their needs. They have 2 flaps one in the front door and one in the back so they don't have to walk round to get in, but they don't like getting wet or cold feet!

They prefer to spend the cold weather in their electric heated bed  :facepalm:

« Reply #1042 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:51:49 pm »
LOL, they're clearly roughing it!

Talisker is as lazy as any cat, but doesn't seem to be that keen on using a litter tray, if he can possibly avoid it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1043 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:56:33 pm »
I like the electric bed! I bought one of the radiator hanging beds, like in Jadeds picture, at a car boot maybe five years ago and it's only in the last month that it's started being used.

It was up in the old house unused for nearly three years and I still put it up here. Glad I kept it as she's hardly ever out of there. She did get in before the cold snap arrived so maybe she's a good long range forecaster.
No pics I'm afraid as I've still lost my camera.

« Reply #1044 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:05:05 pm »
I bought the electric bed (it is actually an aluminium pad with an armoured cable that goes inside the bed) for them when they were kittens, fully intending to only use it for the first few weeks. However on the odd occasion I have unplugged it I get filthy looks and sad kitties. They are 4 years old now and it is always switched on  ;D

« Reply #1045 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:12:26 pm »
The contentment in the top photo is immense.  8)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1046 on: 03 December, 2010, 12:48:28 am »
However on the odd occasion I have unplugged it I get filthy looks and sad kitties.

We had a similar problem with the light (probably a 100W incandescent) in the cupboard under my parents' stairs, which accidentally got left on one time.  We eventually discovered this about a week later, after failing to correlate the lamp's position with one of the cats adopting a certain step as her new favourite snoozing place.  We had assumed it was simply her finely-tuned cat instinct for sitting in really awkward places.   :facepalm:

Cue lots of going back to see if the warm had returned, and siameseishly informing us that it hadn't...

« Reply #1047 on: 03 December, 2010, 01:04:09 am »
Cue lots of going back to see if the warm had returned, and siameseishly informing us that it hadn't...

I am liking the adjective siameseishly! In this house it implies making a loud volume "Raaaaaaaaaaah" noise as close to people's faces as they can get, over and over until they get whatever it was they were wanting  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1048 on: 03 December, 2010, 01:05:55 am »
That's the one.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1049 on: 03 December, 2010, 01:08:14 am »

I am liking the adjective siameseishly! In this house it implies making a loud volume "Raaaaaaaaaaah" noise as close to people's faces as they can get, over and over until they get whatever it was they were wanting  ;D

Still quieter than a Burmese.