Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 393723 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #950 on: 08 June, 2017, 09:45:09 am »
Yes, only BRMs count towards PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris N

« Reply #951 on: 08 June, 2017, 10:41:40 am »
for a Rand 1000 award, is that OK to have 3 x 200 + 1 X 400?

I think so. 

'13.2.4 The Randonneur Award Series ... For any distance a longer distance may be substituted.'
http://www.aukweb.net/official/aukregs/

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #952 on: 08 June, 2017, 10:50:37 am »
... and I would say not.   ;) ::-)

You need a 300, a 200 and a 100, and your 400 and 2x200s cover those three, using the longer-for-shorter provision.  That leaves you with one 200 and you need "plus another 400km worth of events".

You would only need to add a 100 to your 3x200 + 1x400 - that would give you 2x200s free to cover the extra 400km-worth required.

It's a good question that - I've never seen it raised before, in the 20-odd years this award has been rinning.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #953 on: 08 June, 2017, 11:25:31 am »
There's someone (Rider number 1785) listed on the AUK site having done 2x200 and 2x300 and are listed as an R1000 so the strict interpretation of FF isn't what is being followed (by the website at least but that seems to be the trusted/canonical source).

(If the FF's interpretation was being used the 100, 200 and 300 would give 6 points regardless of the actual distance of those rides, taking 3 rides away, leaving only a 300km to give 900km not 1000km).

Note that the website also lists a condition of "You can substitute longer distances for shorter, but only rides up to and including 400km may be used."
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #954 on: 08 June, 2017, 11:51:26 am »
... and I would say not.   ;) ::-)

You need a 300, a 200 and a 100, and your 400 and 2x200s cover those three, using the longer-for-shorter provision.  That leaves you with one 200 and you need "plus another 400km worth of events".

You would only need to add a 100 to your 3x200 + 1x400 - that would give you 2x200s free to cover the extra 400km-worth required.

It's a good question that - I've never seen it raised before, in the 20-odd years this award has been rinning.

Do I really need to do another 100? It seems pretty pointless, I'd rather do another 200... in fact I'll probably have 4 x 200 + 1 x 400 by the end of the year, all being well

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #955 on: 08 June, 2017, 12:02:36 pm »
Then do another 200. FF was giving you the minimum distance option to qualify for the award.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #956 on: 08 June, 2017, 12:11:28 pm »
Then do another 200. FF was giving you the minimum distance option to qualify for the award.

I see, thanks.

« Reply #957 on: 08 June, 2017, 12:17:22 pm »
An even better example. In the current results Rider 1891 is listed in the Randonneur 1000 list and has completed exactly 3x200 and 1x400.

Whether or not this is what the rules intended is moot since the AUK site is listing such riders as having obtained the award. I doubt they're going to retrospectively remove awards from such riders in the past, nor bother changing it for the future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #958 on: 08 June, 2017, 12:52:20 pm »
I want to change it back to the original intent in future...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #959 on: 08 June, 2017, 04:33:39 pm »
Interesting.  Well the two examples cited certainly illustrate what is IMHO an error - I don't really think the wording for that award is open to interpretation even though it is a bit clumsy**. 
The thing to do is to leave it for now obviously, but as LWB says make an adjustment for next season - either correct the calculation to match the wording, or alter the wording to match reality, eg "1000km in at least 4 events including at least 1 300".  The latter would involve a Regulation change.  (Incidentally the "only rides up to 400" condition doesn't seem to be in the Regulation.)

** when it was set up, the idea of the R1000 was to be a sort of SR-lite - ie a 400,300,200,100 series (=1000).  However at that time the Accessibility Police were strongly involved with defining the new awards, and wanted them to be attainable without any night-riding.  Hence the compulsory 400 was ditched in favour of "100, 200, 300, plus other events to a total of 1,000 km".

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #960 on: 08 June, 2017, 04:37:33 pm »
If we're goung to change the Regs, I think it would be good to discuss just what is the "spirit" of this award. I can understand the point of:

"a sort of SR-lite - ie a 400,300,200,100 series (=1000).  " /FF

I'm not sure I understand any other variation, but happy to be educated!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #961 on: 08 June, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »
It is already SR-lite, with no night riding required at all.

« Reply #962 on: 08 June, 2017, 05:02:18 pm »
It is already SR-lite, with no night riding required at all.

For those who are fast enough to complete a 300 in the light, sure. Not everyone can do this, especially some of those who are stepping up to longer distances.

By the same logic you can probably claim that you can do a 600 in daylight, since it's just two consecutive 300km rides done in daylight.

The most daylight you get in a day the UK is about 17 hours so full value riders may have a couple of hours of riding in the dark, especially as there are few (if any) 300s that start near actual sunrise.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #963 on: 08 June, 2017, 05:14:29 pm »
A couple of hours of darkness isn't very much. The nominal R1000 'feels about right' as there is a noticeable difference between a 300 and a 400 for most folk and not that much between a 200 and a 300.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #964 on: 09 June, 2017, 07:31:42 pm »

... there is a noticeable difference between a 300 and a 400 for most folk and not that much between a 200 and a 300.
Certainly agree with that.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #965 on: 25 June, 2017, 08:19:16 pm »
How do you manage your energy so that you can work for a living and do a hobby that's so demanding?

These days, I'm knackered after a week at work.  I don't have it in me to be riding hundreds of km every weekend.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #966 on: 25 June, 2017, 09:04:50 pm »
How do you manage your energy so that you can work for a living and do a hobby that's so demanding?

These days, I'm knackered after a week at work.  I don't have it in me to be riding hundreds of km every weekend.
It's a fair question!
When I was riding Audax events (a few years ago now) and working - and working some very odd hours too - it was just 'normal'. I think your body & mind adjust to a different normality, and you just 'do it'. I think regular commuting by bike helps with the fitness.
I don't know how anyone does a hard physical job - but they do, it's their normal.
Nowadays I don't work (retired with two allotments, six grandchildren and a voluntary job) I'm too knackered to complete a 100k in time. If I had a regular commute, I think I might be a lot fitter, and able to adjust my normality to get back onto it!

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #967 on: 28 June, 2017, 04:18:31 pm »

A committed randonneur could equally say:
Quote from: ff
These days, I'm knackered after a randonnee.  I don't have it in me to put in a proper shift at work on Mondays.

When I was a very active randonneur, I used to rationalise this by telling myself (and anybody else) that I was so good at my job that even a 60% Frankie could get it done OK.  Of course, in a modern work environment where 105% is expected at all times, colleagues and employers don't always see things this way ...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #968 on: 28 June, 2017, 04:35:04 pm »

Work is mentally demanding, audax is physically demanding but gives me a good chance to switch the brain off for extended periods. Also it really helps reduce my stress levels.
So the only issue is getting enough sleep. 200s and 300s don't interfere with that for me.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #969 on: 29 June, 2017, 12:25:51 pm »

Work is mentally demanding, audax is physically demanding but gives me a good chance to switch the brain off for extended periods. Also it really helps reduce my stress levels.
So the only issue is getting enough sleep. 200s and 300s don't interfere with that for me.
Pretty much as above. When I get home from work feeling "tired" it is mainly in my head. If I can drag myself out on the bike after work, once I am out I feel ready to go.

(Of course there are still a minority of First World Workers with physical jobs, but they're a shrinking minority, and tend not to waste their time on the internet ... )

I'd add that any really serious ride wipes me out for a day even if I get decent sleep. But most such rides also involve a lack of sleep, so it's rarely a separate issue!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #970 on: 05 July, 2017, 01:01:42 pm »
Couldn't find an answer to this two-part question in the FAQs, so I throw myself at YACF's mercy. Say I wish to ride a mandatory route DIY that totals 520km, with intermediate "controls" identified every 50-80km.

1) Is my overall time limit 500/14.3 = 34hrs, 57mins  OR  520/14.3 = 36hrs, 21mins?

2) Do I need only complete the ride as a whole within the overall time limit, or must I also pass each intermediate control within the notional time limit for that control?
Eddington Number = 132

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #971 on: 05 July, 2017, 01:05:00 pm »
520km and only the final control (in actuality).

« Reply #972 on: 05 July, 2017, 02:27:51 pm »
:thumbsup:
Eddington Number = 132

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #973 on: 10 September, 2017, 04:11:19 pm »
What does this mean??

Facilities:X GMT

[http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-699/ ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #974 on: 10 September, 2017, 04:18:58 pm »