Author Topic: Shortening USB cables  (Read 1532 times)

Shortening USB cables
« on: 02 July, 2015, 07:54:14 am »
Can USB cables, used as power charger leads, be cut short and successfully rejoined? (  Have a 1.8m lead when actually just need 50 cm, but has a `good` mini USB low profile end to fit in back Garmin on handlebars,)

ta
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Re: Shortening USB cables
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2015, 08:04:20 am »
I got a short cable with my garmin 200.   They are readily available.   

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2015, 08:06:29 am »
As both Oranj and PB have said, I wouldn't bother.  Just go to Maplin, or your local market and buy a shorter one.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2015, 08:23:24 am »
As both Oranj and PB have said, I wouldn't bother.  Just go to Maplin, or your local market and buy a shorter one.

OK, off to Hereford Maplin some day  ;D ---it`s just that the head angle on longer cable (TomTom charge cable) has a particularly `nice` short mini USB that sits nicely into Garmin when on bars---short Garmin cable with straight mini USB ain`t a good fit when Garmin on bars; have looked at online stuff and so difficult see exactly what`s what
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2015, 08:26:05 am »
Hence why I suggest going to a bricks'n'mortar, rather than buying online.

Take the Garmin with you and try as many as you can until you find the right one.

If you are lucky enough to have a RS trade cunter nearby, try them, too.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2015, 10:09:33 am »
Depending which Garmin you have some USB cables have "shoulders" that are too wide to fit in the slot under the rubber cover (I have an Edge Touring, I think the 500 and 800 are the same) - for my Powermonkey specific connector I resorted to filing down the plastic plug to fit - no problem with it at all.

Rob

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2015, 10:22:52 am »
If you like the long cable so much, shorten it by taking the excess and securing it in a hank with cable ties.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2015, 03:21:54 pm »
Yes, but it is a faff and the resulting join never looks great. Much easier just to buy a shorter cable

This.

You can get the connectors and attempt to do it properly.  The male 'A' connector should be reasonably easy to solder, unlike the smaller ones.  But you're still left with working out a good way to 'pot' it.  Sugru, maybe.

I'd just buy a shorter cable.