Author Topic: Raleigh in difficulties?  (Read 481 times)

Raleigh in difficulties?
« on: 24 July, 2024, 08:05:21 pm »

Raleigh uncertainty as bike manufacturer served warning notice from Companies House, just months after redundancies and restructuring

Accounts for 2022 that were meant to be filed last year still have not appeared, the brand receiving a First Gazette notice for compulsory strike-off

Just last month Accell had its credit rating downgraded for the fourth time in a year, Fitch Ratings saying the company's "weak operating performance, tight liquidity, and negative free cash flow results in unsustainable credit metrics".

In January, Accell confirmed the proposed job losses at Raleigh's head office in Eastwood, the brand's headquarters since the early 2000s, with the company expected to vacate the site in "due course". It also said its parts and accessories department would close and that warehousing would be outsourced.

Founded in the 1880s, and at one point operating the largest bicycle factory in the world and employing 13,000 people across the UK, Raleigh moved from its Triumph Road factory in Lenton to the Eastwood facility.

However, that base was described in recent years by Accell as "outdated and inflexible" in the face of changing customer needs, while Raleigh ceased assembling bikes in the UK over 20 years ago.

Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

Re: Raleigh in difficulties?
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2024, 04:25:01 am »
Honestly I'd forgotten they even exist and not sure where they fit in with modern bike sales

I'm not aware of them being a player in the quality kids bike market - think formerly isla/frog etc or the shall we say committed rider category like you'd find on this forum or on weekend group rides

The generation that remembers them as being high-quality UK made probably aren't buying many bikes and with the rise of major chain own brands such as carrera and B twin etc there doesn't appear much room for Raleigh

I could be completely wrong, just my initial thoughts

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2024, 07:32:54 am »
They've been making (now importing) almost complete crap for decades. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2024, 10:08:11 am »
Accell list their brands as including
Haibike, Winora, Ghost, Batavus, Koga, Lapierre, Raleigh, Sparta, Babboe and Carqon
Digging deeper also, Van Nicholas.

Raleigh might not be the brand it once was but some of their others...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2024, 02:33:57 pm »
Aren't they a big name in e-bikes? But apart from that, or maybe even including that, proof that you don't to be part of Frasers to be Frasered.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2024, 04:25:13 pm »
I've owned two Raleighs

1. Bought from Bulmers of York c. 1995 for £25 as a commuter.  It had 5 speeds and once I used it on a century ride. It was not worth preserving and eventually went for scrap.

2. My future Zwift ride, a Raleigh Record Sprint bought as a frame only for £20 off eBay.  The frame number says it was made in Nottingham, September 1987. It's in excellent condition and looks quite smart.  I finished putting it all together yesterday by coincidence.  It's not the same quality as my 1987 British Eagle Touristique, but someone clearly enjoyed putting some miles in on it.

Some history:

Much of this loss of market share is ascribable to imports. In 1970, the UK imported a mere 27,000 cycles – about 4% of the UK market. Meanwhile the country exported more than a million bikes, 38 times as many as it imported, and the majority of them Raleighs. By 1975, while exports remained at about the same level, there were nine times as many imports. Six years later exports were overtaken by imports, mainly from Europe and including makers such as Peugeot and Puch. From 1980 to 1986, imports accounted for about 40% of the UK market.

Then came the mountain bike boom and another step change. Adding to the European imports, bicycles from the USA and Taiwan started to come in. In 1987, for the first time, UK consumers bought more imported bikes than British, and imports soon took about 60% of annual UK sales.

Raleigh was the first major UK manufacturer to offer an electric bike. Unfortunately, it was too early and too expensive to have much impact on sales, and was dropped by Rix’s successor.

.. it can be argued that Raleigh made a quite good job of the last 25 years (from 1975 to 2002). It maintained its level of production reasonably consistently. It remained the biggest UK manufacture. It retained the largest share of the UK market. Moreover, Raleigh remained the first cycle brand that sprang to the mind of most British people. Many UK manufacturers would be envious of such a record. Contrast Raleigh’s performance with what happened in the British automotive, domestic appliance, TV and audio industries.

Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.