Author Topic: My new Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT  (Read 3281 times)

My new Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
« on: 05 May, 2019, 04:36:27 pm »
Today I took ownership of Teamonsters lovely Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT.

It has been fitted with hamster bars rather than the 'tweeners that I prefer.
It looks like the stem has been lengthened to 19", in a very neat and tidy way, by a sleeve inside and a longer straight section with all apparently glued together. The extra length of riser means that I cannot see over the top of the 'tweener bars.
I can cut the riser to length but to what length?
On the Bacchetta website it shows replacement risers as being 10.5" or 12.5" for swb bikes. https://www.bacchettabikes.com/product/riser-2-piece-system-swb/

Any ideas why there should be two sizes, please? I'd rather make one cut to the correct size.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: My new Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2019, 06:18:06 am »
41 looks and no replies so I'll do the obvious and make the first cut at 12.5".

Having spent a week tidying my garage/workshop to make space for this bike I will spend this morning taking the stuff that didn't find a proper home last week from the surface of my metalwork bench.
Beneath it is my pipe clamp, pipe cutter, drills, hacksaw and files.

A scream from the Western West Midlands in the middle of the afternoon will indicate that all has gone wrong.

Here she is as bought:

http://

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2019, 07:55:55 am »
Nothing helpful to say except “Good luck”.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2019, 08:25:32 am »
The length will depend on your leg length and if your knees hit the bars when riding it.
Can only suggest, cut a little bit and try it. Cut again if still too long.

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2019, 08:34:00 am »

Oh I don't know. That is pretty helpful, I think :)
Thank you.

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2019, 08:51:50 am »
The length will depend on your leg length and if your knees hit the bars when riding it.

When I was assembled the only legs available were from a short batch; more Hobbit than Giant.
There is, presumably, little scientific about the lengths of either 10.5" or 12.5" stem other than avoiding the knees.

At the moment, with the 'tweener bars in the stem riser at a comfortable angle the handlebar clamp is right in my eyeline. I am intending to fit my spare Bafang FUN8 motor to this bike at some time so I think I will initially shorten the stem by 2" plus half the display unit depth. That should be well under 6" which will leave plenty of leg room. I think that I recall that spare space under the bars is no disadvantage?
Thanks for the help.

I'm a bit disappointed that cycleman hasn't chipped in with something I can laugh at.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2019, 12:46:04 pm »

What Rich said - there are so many variables (leg length, seat angle, stem length, thickness of seat pad etc) I've had to use the trial and error method on my recumbents to achieve a comfortable and safe handling setup.  Always seems to end up something like this, although the stem clamp is in my eyeline it is easy enough to look round / past it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143770804@N02/shares/0Uw200
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2019, 01:41:04 pm »

+1

Unless "keep cutting until it's too short, then you know how long it needs to be" counts as helpful?   ;D

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2019, 04:51:22 pm »

What Rich said - there are so many variables (leg length, seat angle, stem length, thickness of seat pad etc) I've had to use the trial and error method on my recumbents to achieve a comfortable and safe handling setup.  Always seems to end up something like this, although the stem clamp is in my eyeline it is easy enough to look round / past it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143770804@N02/shares/0Uw200
Thanks for the help and the picture. The possible adjustment ranges are much greater on that set up. Nice colour, as well.

« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2019, 04:52:55 pm »

+1

Unless "keep cutting until it's too short, then you know how long it needs to be" counts as helpful?   ;D

Thank you Kim. You have taken a leaf from cycleman's joke book! :D

« Reply #10 on: 06 May, 2019, 05:05:09 pm »
I have cut to 12.5 inches and have a possible problem.
The tube is obviously joined with an epoxy and although I have cleaned out the hardened drips there is a film of hardened epoxy reducing the id of the tube.
It only drops down 3" on the hinged stem rather than 5". Not sure that matters as the height is better than it was and there is enough knee clearance.

What I am a little concerned about is how secure the epoxied joint in the stem is.
Obviously, it has been fine for teamonster, and the chap who built it, and my son in law, an engineer, tells me that aircraft have lots of aluminium epoxied together but i worry  :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 06 May, 2019, 06:12:11 pm »
It's not under load like the handlebars of an upright.  Not that that makes it shearing off any better, except perhaps that it's more likely to happen at low speed as you start off or wobble up a hill (at least, that's when I tend to abuse recumbent handlebars by pulling on them), rather than during heavy braking.

« Reply #12 on: 06 May, 2019, 09:41:46 pm »
It's not under load like the handlebars of an upright.  Not that that makes it shearing off any better, except perhaps that it's more likely to happen at low speed as you start off or wobble up a hill (at least, that's when I tend to abuse recumbent handlebars by pulling on them), rather than during heavy braking.

That's a good point. I will stop worrying.

« Reply #13 on: 07 May, 2019, 09:09:17 pm »
Just sit on a cushion so that you can see over the bars. Problem solved   :smug:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #14 on: 07 May, 2019, 10:58:43 pm »
Just sit on a cushion so that you can see over the bars. Problem solved   :smug:
I used to have to do that in pubs!  ;)

« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2019, 06:07:21 pm »
Hello Mr Nobby ………..Full circle then ...I think the last one was "Kermit Green "
Now onto a question …..your starter for ten
The picture shows your latest Bacchetta in Yellow
Other than test riding and sawing a steerer tube .
Is it set up exactly as shown  ::-)
Because the hinged steerer on the base of the steering tube is back to front  ::-)

*just sent a batch of pictures to your woden wooden email address and it bounced back
Can you update me ............Regards Kevin D

« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2019, 08:56:43 am »
Hello Mr Nobby ………..Full circle then ...I think the last one was "Kermit Green "
Now onto a question …..your starter for ten
The picture shows your latest Bacchetta in Yellow
Other than test riding and sawing a steerer tube .
Is it set up exactly as shown  ::-)
Because the hinged steerer on the base of the steering tube is back to front  ::-)

*just sent a batch of pictures to your woden wooden email address and it bounced back
Can you update me ............Regards Kevin D

You have PM Mr D-TEK  :)