Author Topic: Bird food. How much?  (Read 1842 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Bird food. How much?
« on: 03 February, 2013, 01:20:22 pm »
We have a selection of bird feeders in the front and back gardens. Seeds, peanuts, fat balls.

On the way back from the butcher this morning, we dropped in to the garden centre and bought a Big Sack of mixed seed and a 500g bag of dried mealworm.  Or didn't.  When we got to the till the total was over 40 quid. With the seed at 18 quid or so, it turned out the 500g of meal worm was a bit north of twenty notes. That's forty quid a kilo.  Back on the shelf with it.

Sirloin steak at the butcher was less than that.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Bird food. How much?
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2013, 01:24:29 pm »
Mealworms are now a special treat for our birds, again £19 per large bag. 20kg bags of mixed seed are £15 which isn't  too bad but all mixes these days are full of oats to make the weight up, not much eats them!

Black sunflowers or sunflower hearts are best value, more expensive but with no waste. It's an expensive purchase these days.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Bird food. How much?
« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2013, 01:51:17 pm »
The last place Pingu bought seed from grows it's own. They send out a little newsletter and it said that this years weather meant that most of their crop had failed so I expect the price of bird seed will be through the roof this year.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2013, 02:18:39 pm »
Decent mix of seeds hereabouts is £13 for 20 kilos. Agree increasing use of bulking agents tho.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2013, 03:45:53 pm »
Do we really have to feed the birds, why not let nature take it's course, we do for all the animals in the woods.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2013, 03:50:55 pm »
My neighbours put out tons of food.  Assming it's the right sort, can it ever be too much, or do birds have more sense than dogs and not over-eat?

Do we really have to feed the birds, why not let nature take it's course, we do for all the animals in the woods.

Depends if you want certain species to die out from the destruction of their enviroments by humans.  You can say: so be it, humans are part of nature.  Or you can say: I enjoy seeing and hearing the tweeting little bastards birdy wirdies in my garden so I will feed them.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2013, 04:22:59 pm »
A lot of the birds are in our gardens because there's little for them on farmland.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2013, 04:38:53 pm »
Today, we noticed a large number of Buzzards and Red Kites circling in the air, as we cycled past the 'Natural Burial Woodlands'...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9 on: 03 February, 2013, 05:51:50 pm »
Today, we noticed a large number of Buzzards and Red Kites circling in the air, as we cycled past the 'Natural Burial Woodlands'...

Sky Burial FTW
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)