Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813120 times)

annie

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #850 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:00:53 pm »
Yes, up to Ipswich for a Governor's meeting.  Really hard work on the way there, thought I was going to collapse just before I got to Ipswich, felt absolutely dreadful.  Cycled down into Ipswich and poured a bag of salt and vinegar crisps down my throat, much to the amusement of the shopkeeper.  Scoffed a handful of biscuits in the meeting and amused everyone there when I took my bike inside and squelched on the chair :-\

Coming back was a different kettle of marmite altogether, my average was just over 17mph, getting better every time.

Now got to peel off my shorts and locate the shower.

I am however surprised at the number of cyclists I saw coming the other way, only one acknowledged me but that doesn't surprise me as the look on my face wasn't exactly welcoming.

« Reply #851 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:02:16 pm »
66 miles today. Trying to convince myself I can do the FNRttC in a few days time.

Well of course you can. I'd only done 30 in one go when I attempted it in April.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #852 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:04:12 pm »

It must be in there somewhere... :-*

A 5.9 mile commute today.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #853 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:18:13 pm »

Tummy more settled then WB?

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #854 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:28:25 pm »
66 miles today. Trying to convince myself I can do the FNRttC in a few days time.

Well of course you can. I'd only done 30 in one go when I attempted it in April.

Thanks for the encouragement.  :)

I'm probably more bothered by the prospect of riding with other people. Only done it once in the last 40 years or so (Great Notts Bike Ride about 20 years ago).
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #855 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:31:02 pm »

Tummy more settled then WB?

Yes thanks. I reckon it was definitely the dreaded giardiasis lamblia - my god that critter makes you shit! I've finished the horse pills and feel fine.

annie

« Reply #856 on: 17 June, 2008, 05:31:46 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement.  :)

I'm probably more bothered by the prospect of riding with other people. Only done it once in the last 40 years or so (Great Notts Bike Ride about 20 years ago).

Nicknack, you will be absolutely fine.  We will look after you, you will have a great time.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #857 on: 17 June, 2008, 06:32:50 pm »
Ta  :)
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #858 on: 17 June, 2008, 06:41:37 pm »
Ta  :)
I can do it. I reckon that with that as a yardstick, there are few people on this forum who can't.

« Reply #859 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:40:13 pm »
Yes Nicknack, I can confirm newbies are well looked after on this.  :thumbsup:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #860 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:44:29 pm »
Well I have just ridden about one and a half miles from our flat to my Mums. Not a significant ride you might think except for one small detail. It was the very first time I have ridden my Dave Yates tourer fully loaded. I was very very impressed with the handling, even in such a short ride I had time to forget about the panniers and tent on the back.  :) Can't wait for tomorrow now to get going on our trip to York.

Maladict

« Reply #861 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:38:25 pm »
Cycled down to the village centre after having agreed to play 5-a-side.  Only a 2 mile round trip, but ran around like a mad thing for an hour and even pulled off the most outrageous piece of skill/luck (took a pass, flicked off the inside of my foot behind me to nutmeg the defender who I then ran around to leave me 1:1 with the goalie).  Then I totally fluffed the shot  ;D

Knee held up really well, and it was a good work-out and fitness wasn't a problem despite not having played for months (since I borked my knee back in Feb).  Shows the effect of all the miles I guess.

annie

« Reply #862 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:40:58 pm »
No but did a turbo session (intervals).  Went swimming and the pool was closed >:(  I had looked forward to it all week.  Still, something good comes of everything.  I came home and went for a run and then an hour and a bit in the gym.  Now starving hungry and on the look out for something edible, anything will do.

« Reply #863 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:43:22 pm »
Yes did 49.8 wet and windy miles from Northallerton to home. Not the most pleasant ride I have ever done.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #864 on: 19 June, 2008, 12:13:19 am »
Commuting, just over 8 miles in total.

« Reply #865 on: 19 June, 2008, 12:26:35 am »
Yesterday now but 4 miles to play football in the park and then to the pub to discuss "tactics".
During the game I managed to stay up-right most of the time despite playing in astro-turf trainers on wet grass.
Cycling to the game-to/from the pub seemed much easier physically.
A year ago, I wouldn't have said that.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #866 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:51:51 am »
Just a dog-walk so far, but I greeted consecutive cyclists within a minute of one another on the return: firstly, Shaun Qureshi, environmental campaigner extraordinaire and founder of Camp Bling; and secondly, Chris Dandridge, former Lab councillor and mayor, now retired, out on his ancient Raleigh. Good chaps both.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #867 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:11:15 am »
Yes did 49.8 wet and windy miles from Northallerton to home. Not the most pleasant ride I have ever done.

That'll teach you to come to Northallerton :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #868 on: 19 June, 2008, 04:38:17 pm »
Not exactly today, but last thursday, I went for a ride to sing 'Happy Birthday' to the Rotherhithe Tunnel on the occasion of it's 100th.

Saturday we went to Battersea Park to see the Victorian cyclists.  Sunday a ride to Greenfest along the riverside.  Commuting all week, then last night a ride to the Roebuck for a notional sunset.  Tonight, I'm off out (on the part-unfettled Woodrup again :-\ ) for a ride with Southwark Cyclists, then tomorrow, we're off up to Kings Cross for York.

Saturday may include NRM and a ride to The Ship.  Sunday the Parade then home.

Monday fall exhausted in a heap back to work commuting :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #869 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:03:41 pm »
First day in the new job, sadly. I was really enjoying the garden leave.

I had a headache from last night's trip to the pub and very stiff legs from the football that preceded it but I decided to go out anyway. Again no-one else showed so I went on my own.
Did about 20 miles along the Fallowfield Loop then the Yellow Brick road (at least that's what we call it) past Sport City and down the canal into MCR centre. Homeward leg was from Castlefield basin along the canal past Old Trafford into Stretford and home.
There were several scary moments- some geese who tried to intimidate me (they succeeded), crunched a huge piece of glass with the front wheel and, scariest of all, a huge sideways moment that had the bike heading straight for the water. An emergency, reflex unclip was called for as images of sitting in the saddle at the bottom of the canal flashed through my mind. In the end I didn't even need to put my foot down. The new shorts survived unscathed, if you see what I mean  :hand:

It's the Manchester Bike Week pub ride tomorrow evening. Based on last year's experience, I doubt that I will be posting after the ride.............

« Reply #870 on: 20 June, 2008, 11:19:20 pm »
Clocked an average of 17.9mph for my ride from Redditch to East Mids airport via Dorridge, Shustoke and Ashby - my fastest yet.  Plus it was quite windy as well, which was puzzling - my average on the first flat bit was only 20.5 instead of 23, average to Hampton-in-Arden was only 18.3 instead of at least 19, then I had crosswinds all the way except the last bit after Ashby but still made better speed.  IMO there's no such thing as a tailwind - any wind slows you down.

I just look forward to a non-existent chance to do it in completely calm conditions ... maybe in 3 hours flat (would be 19mph)

« Reply #871 on: 21 June, 2008, 01:39:47 pm »
a very wet, cold and hungry 50 miles this morning in steady drizzle.  Got back here at 12,00 and have been asleep on the sofa since...

« Reply #872 on: 21 June, 2008, 01:57:34 pm »
I went to the Go-Ride club with my daughter. 3.5miles each way. Did a some coaching of the younger ones in the rain. 30 kids split in three groups on a rainy day. Very good attendance.

One way back, my daughter cycled up a seriously big hill (East road / Quernmore road in Lancaster). She is over the moon and I am very proud of her. I was not doing even half as much as she does when I was her age.

« Reply #873 on: 21 June, 2008, 04:35:27 pm »
Just got back from a very soggy ride around Kirkham. About 32m in total including the ride to/from Oxford Road Station. The weather in MCR looks like it has been relatively dry while it was tipping down on us.
Ho hum- should have gone to Cheshire.
Some of the spokes in the back-wheel have gone slack so I'll need to sort that before the next ride.
Thinking about it, I won't be back on the bike for some time 'cos I'm in the US most of next week.
It's good to be back at work  :(

annie

« Reply #874 on: 21 June, 2008, 05:07:24 pm »
Yes I have, about 80 miles, the first part in the rain, the middle bit with the most wonderful of company, Oscar's Dad, the Current Mrs R and Twinkle Toes.  RR to follow with pics.

I am exhausted, really pushed myself when on my own, my legs need a vacation.