Author Topic: July WARTY/Bikes & Boats Essex - Saturday 18th July  (Read 19412 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Bikes & Boats Tendring - Saturday 18th July
« Reply #25 on: 07 July, 2009, 09:36:10 am »
Amongst those definites, there's a marked preponderance of silly bikes. Indeed, only PippaG and Jurek are on standard upright models! :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #26 on: 07 July, 2009, 09:38:56 am »
That's an excellent point Wowbagger, I hadn't noticed that! Yay for the Silly Bikes in Tendring group :)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #27 on: 07 July, 2009, 09:43:05 am »
Indeed, only PippaG and Jurek are on standard upright models! :D

Do you think they could be persuaded to borrow a tandem for the day? ;)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #28 on: 07 July, 2009, 09:50:25 am »
It will have to be a tridem as Ianrauk has now confirmed too ;)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #29 on: 07 July, 2009, 11:08:57 am »
If I was on a tandem with jurek I could probably sit around painting my nails and he probably wouldn't notice my lack of effort ;)

I have a sneaking suspicion that in the darkest corner of the shed in my parents garden is my first ever bike - a raleigh strika ;D yes I was a tomboy. Used to cycle around our little village and then watch BMX Bandits (some of Nicole Kidman's finest work....) with the other kids at someone's house eating cola cubes and wham bars and drinking Tizer. Ah the memories :)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #30 on: 07 July, 2009, 11:22:57 am »
If I was on a tandem with jurek I could probably sit around painting my nails and he probably wouldn't notice my lack of effort ;)

Yebbut, I bet you'd still get oil on your legs.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 07 July, 2009, 11:55:02 am »
We have a spare tandem... ;)
Getting there...

Re: July WARTY/Bikes & Boats Tendring - Saturday 18th July
« Reply #32 on: 08 July, 2009, 06:03:02 pm »
Dog is booked in with HIS Auntie Helen till about 6pm.But it is noproblem  for me to cut and run as i cycle round these  roads so often.

Problems with my neck at the moment but will give it a road trial this Friday
Mistley Walls to Hadleigh/Kersey or similar.

n
old GIT O:-)

Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #33 on: 08 July, 2009, 06:16:28 pm »
Hope your neck is OK Moondog, it will be good to see you.

Route is still being finalised but I think we'll go straight from Manningtree to Walton, not going past Harwich, so that we have enough time for our Rounders/Swimming!

Definites
Auntie Helen
Ben Lovejoy
Cycleman
Ianrauk
Jurek
Moondog
PippaG
Tim Hall
Mrs Hall
Sig Silverprinter
TimO
Topcat1
Uncle James
Wowbagger
Mrs Wow

Possibles
Andrij
Aperitif
Chonker
ChrisKH
Dellzeqq
Delthebike
Emily
Katie/Her_Welshness
Mike
Mrs Mike
Rabbitfood
Redjedi
Sittingduck

« Reply #34 on: 09 July, 2009, 08:51:09 am »
i assume i am to slow to be a possible  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #35 on: 09 July, 2009, 09:25:47 am »
I'm a 'possible' - haven't decided whether to do this or rogerzilla's ride.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #36 on: 09 July, 2009, 09:57:20 am »
Sorry Cycleman, didn't reply before.

You are most welcome on the ride, we'll enjoy seeing you.

Andrij, you are also most welcome, of course; and this ride will be much cooler than Rogerzilla's as it's in Essex and has lots of funny bikes attending...

« Reply #37 on: 09 July, 2009, 10:36:29 pm »
Just noticed that this is a WARTY, so I've got to do it, in a (completely impossible) attempt to catch up with the leaders. :)

I'm also missing a ride for that weekend. :thumbsup: ...and it's less insane than doing Roger's ride, however much fun nightrides are.

(...and I've still got to get my form off for the Foulness one. :-[)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #38 on: 09 July, 2009, 11:01:55 pm »

(...and I've still got to get my form off for the Foulness one. :-[)

Don't do as I did  - include a cheque for the entry fee when you send yours in  ::-)

« Reply #39 on: 11 July, 2009, 06:36:47 pm »
my back is playing up at the moment but i am hoping to get to this  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #40 on: 11 July, 2009, 09:43:52 pm »
By the way folks, this ride is probably going to start a little earlier - perhaps 10am - to give us time to do the ride and get to the pub for lunch & rounders.

Will confirm after Monday when the Wows and I test-ride it.

« Reply #41 on: 11 July, 2009, 11:09:24 pm »
ACHTUNG! LONDON PEOPLE.

Here's one for you to think about for a bit .....

Subject to the findings of AH & Wow following their test-ride......

My thoughts are of boarding a train at Lpoo St which gets in to Manningtree with sufficient time to have some brekky before the start of the ride.

What you need to know is that the Cafe / Bar / Buffet on platform 1 at Manningtree is second to none that you'll find elsewhere on the entire rail network.
They'll even pour you a beer at that time of day, if you are so inclined.

I'll post up some train times once we've heard back from the test riders, to see the kind of response this elicits.

Bear in mind, this could mean boarding a train as early as 08:00 at Lpoo St 

C'mon! You all know that London is dead sexy when it's traffic-free at that time of day! :D

As I said earlier - something to think about......

More later

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #42 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:38:39 am »
What you need to know is that the Cafe / Bar / Buffet on platform 1 at Manningtree is second to none that you'll find elsewhere on the entire rail network.
They'll even pour you a beer at that time of day, if you are so inclined.

A good breakfast you say?

Sold.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #43 on: 12 July, 2009, 01:43:38 pm »
It's a Cracking Breakfast, and Manningtree Station was awarded fifth place by the Guardian's recent Stations feature.

The Station Café, which as Jurek suggested looks rather like a bar, serves a cracking Half Breakfast which is brill for cyclists and includes tea/coffee refills.

I spent about an hour and half there before the last group ride with more and more cyclists arriving, littering the station concourse with various bicycles, and the station staff were all really friendly. It's worth coming to Manningtree just for the brekkie, even if you don't cycle!

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #44 on: 12 July, 2009, 01:47:42 pm »
Can I come, please ?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #45 on: 12 July, 2009, 01:54:38 pm »
Can I come, please ?  

Of course you may, it would be lovely to have you :)

Definites
Auntie Helen
ChrisKH
Cycleman
Delthebike
Handbag
Ianrauk
Jane
Jurek
Moondog
PippaG
Tim Hall
Mrs Hall
Sig Silverprinter
TimO
Topcat1
Uncle James
Wowbagger
Mrs Wow

Possibles
Andrij
Aperitif
Ben Lovejoy
Chonker
Dasmoth
Dellzeqq
Emily
Mike
Mrs Mike
Rabbitfood
Redjedi
Sittingduck

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Re: July WARTY/Bikes & Boats Essex - Saturday 18th July
« Reply #46 on: 13 July, 2009, 08:40:26 pm »
Four of us (Auntie Helen, Uncle James, Mrs. Wow and myself) rehearsed this ride today. There were lots of very good bits, but one of the most remarkable was that, all the way along the seaside stretch (about 13 miles of it) we were in glorious sunshine whereas most of inland was covered with big, dark threatening clouds.

The tea stop in Walton was excellent, with Cake and Tea and Sea Views.

I had a swim at a lovely sandy beach in Frinton. We thought that including the swimming stop with the lunch stop at Clacton would be a good plan as people can swim first and then eat lunch.

There was a little confusion as to which bits of promenade we were, and which we were not, supposed to cycle on.

Although we lunched in a pub, we have plumped for a sea-side café which does cheap, cheerful jacket-potato style stuff, chips, burgers etc. Some veggie options.

We dropped in on the pub in Great Bentley (proposed site of rounders match) for Ale. The pub is being renovated and currently has no facility to prepare food.

From Helen & James' abode the total ride was 45 miles. Starting at Manningtree station will make little difference to the distance.

Arrive in ample time for a Large Breakfast!

« Reply #47 on: 13 July, 2009, 08:45:10 pm »
There is a remote chance that some Cambridge CTC types may show up.

Can't think how they found out.  ::-)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #48 on: 13 July, 2009, 09:10:06 pm »
July WARTY/CycleChat Ride.

Wowbagger, Mrs Wow, Uncle James and I have ridden and refined the route today.

We would like a 10:00am start at Manningtree Station.

Trains go from London Liverpool Street to Manningtree approximately every 15 minutes with a journey time of 1 hour or a bit more.

The Station Café is highly recommended for breakfast before we set off. The menu includes the Half Breakfast which is an excellent source of fuel before we set off:

I will be at the station from at least 9:00am, earlier if anyone else thinks they will arrive earlier!

So... off we go...
The ride begins as did my Tiptree one in May - into Manningtree (the smallest town in the UK), along the river Stour past all the swans to Mistley, then up the hill from Mistley towards Bradfield Heath. There are very few hills on this ride, this is probably the worst.

From Bradfield Heath we head down towards Wix, at which point we depart from the route taken on my Tiptree ride and instead venture forth towards Stones Green and then Beaumont-cum-Moze. There's a nice downhill from Beaumont (although the road is rather badly surfaced, I'm afraid) and if you look to your left as you whizz down the hill you can see an unusual thin tower... that's our tea & cake destination, the Naze Tower, visible over Hamford Water.

We then cycle through the village of Kirby-le-Soken before arriving at Walton-on-the-Naze, making our way through this rather pleasant English seaside village towards the Naze Tower.

The Naze Tower does light food although we're planning this for a tea and cake stop. The ladies serving were warned that a bunch of cyclists are coming and are planning to make some extra flapjacks.

From the Naze Tower you can see Sealand, that rather unusual republic in the North Sea, also known as the Roughs Tower. Here we can see Uncle James and Wowbagger contemplating the North Sea.

Onward after the cakes...
So now we are heading off along the beach cycle paths all the way from Walton to Clacton, via Frinton. The cycle tracks vary in quality, with rather good at Walton to rather bad at Clacton. Please note, this ride includes some cindery track, some rutted concrete paths, many sandy corners, but is mostly reasonable asphalt. But not always. Do not bring your skinniest tyres as you will find it bumpy at times!

Walton joins relatively seamlessly with Frinton which has wonderful sandy beaches. However we won't be stopping here for our swim, we'll leave that to a bit later in Clacton to make the most of the lunch stop.

Bikes aren't allowed all the way along the Frinton sea path (as we discovered today!) so we have to go on the road for a bit of it, but we're back on the path beside the sea defences soon enough.

We will pass through Holland on Sea and then arrive at Clacton. Clacton is rather more rough-and-ready than Frinton and that becomes evident fairly quickly.

We have planned to stop for our swim and lunch at 'Beaches Café' which is a fairly traditional seaside café full of buckets and spades and dinghies. Food is of the sandwich/burger/jacket potato variety with some choices for vegetarians and with reasonable prices. This is where those of us brave enough will swim. This is about 25 miles into the overall journey of 44 miles.

After the swim

Now we head further into Clacton where the cycle path does stupid things (requiring us to ascend 30 steep steps unless we cycle up a steep hill on the road... which we will do). The path continues in a rather concrety/sandy manner towards Jaywick which isn't the nicest part of the world, one might say.

We pass lots and lots of holiday mobile homes and then eventually make our way to the road that goes from Jaywick to St Osyth.

We cycle through St Osyth and pick up the quiet and smooth country roads towards Great Bentley, the village with the largest village green in the UK at 43 acres.

At Great Bentley we stop at the Plough Pub for a beer and our chance for a game of rounders. Please note that The Plough is having its kitchen refurbished so there is no food available (apart from crisps/pork scratchings) and they can't make tea or coffee either. The beer choice is a bit lightweight but will probably serve to refresh for the final 7 mile journey to Manningtree.

Final leg.
The final trip to Manningtree is via the village of Little Bentley, first crossing the rather busy A133. Although this road is single carriageway in each direction it's pretty busy so we may be stuck waiting to cross for a little while.

We approach Manningtree Station down the wonderful Cox's Hill which is a chance to test out your bravery on fast descents, but it's a lovely smooth and wide road so is good fun. As long as your brakes work for the roundabout at the bottom!

Manningtree Station Café is, of course, a good place to sample a beer whilst awaiting your train.

Total journey distance is 44 miles. The route can be found here:

bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator

The cycle path bits are done as well as we can do them using Google Satellite view but may not be 100% correct.

Riding this route took us four and a half hours cycling time today with an average speed of 10mph. Large portions of the journey are on shared use cycle paths so you can't go very fast, so don't expect to whizz round this course. It will be a leisurely ride in good company in (hopefully!) sunshine. Look forward to seeing you all there!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #49 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:33:24 pm »

This is the only photograph I took on today's ride.