Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3895745 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #20975 on: 21 May, 2017, 03:23:42 pm »
Got rid of the dog for a few hours so tried the refurbished cycle path at the side of the A167 (it's nice and smooth whereas it didn't used to be) and continued generally South until Kirk Merrington. Meandered East for a bit then turned back North at Fishburn to arrive home 2hrs 50 mins after setting off, having done 42 miles.
Fitness is gradually returning so starting to think about entering something (as long as I don't have to wear a helmet).
Hear all, see all, say nowt

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20976 on: 21 May, 2017, 04:19:07 pm »
Took this on the way home this morning. The fields are wonderful at this time of year.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #20977 on: 21 May, 2017, 04:19:58 pm »
33km across Chat Moss and then along the canal to Worsley woods where I attempted to ride up some steps, which went really well until I got cocky as the front crested the last step, unfortunately the rear didn't  :facepalm:

« Reply #20978 on: 21 May, 2017, 05:37:47 pm »
Si, which track did you use across the Moss?

Peter

PS  Which bike?

« Reply #20979 on: 21 May, 2017, 07:58:53 pm »
Yesterday did 75km around by Wallingford,  Streatley (Hill), Farnborough (West Berkshire).  Tried Saddleback Farm shop for first time as a coffee stop - very good.

Near Wallingford
IMG_20170520_081019709_HDR by ao, on Flickr

from Farnborough village church
IMG_20170520_104137117_HDR by ao, on Flickr

Up over Kilman Knoll Down to East Hendred
IMG_20170520_110519981 by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #20980 on: 21 May, 2017, 08:33:18 pm »
Some altitude and off road in the Mendips. Beacon Batch and a climb out of Cheddar gorge. How my ride map turned out looking like a little dragon blowing fire, I have no idea. 80km total.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20981 on: 21 May, 2017, 08:59:55 pm »
Some altitude and off road in the Mendips. Beacon Batch and a climb out of Cheddar gorge. How my ride map turned out looking like a little dragon blowing fire, I have no idea. 80km total.

Because you ride like an engine. Ivor the Engine.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20982 on: 22 May, 2017, 12:38:11 pm »
Si, which track did you use across the Moss?

Peter

PS  Which bike?

I used Moss Road up to the nature reserve then Astley Road and Rindle Road. Astley Road is very rough and pot holed. Rindle Road is good.

I used the mtb but for no particular reason, I've done the same on the sabbath with slick 28's. Probably wouldn't cross the Moss on the Trek anymore with 23`s and low spoke count wheels due to potholes.

Bridgewater canal is still very muddy on the south side East of Astley, North track looks better from Old Boat House to Vicars Hall Lane, surface then is superb.

NCN55 surface at Worsley is new and fantastic.

HTH

Edit Are you after a crossing Peter? I can get you across East/West or North/South

« Reply #20983 on: 22 May, 2017, 12:49:04 pm »
Si, thanks for that.  I've done the Bridgewater as far as Leigh and agree with you about the surface!  I did it again a few weeks ago on my way to the East Lancs road - was hoping it would be better dried out but it was like riding horizontal steps.  The 55 (there are lots of different bits) is a really good surface, isn't it?!  I love swooping down towards Patricroft and Worsley then back along the Bridgewater to Deansgate and home via the Ashton and Rochdale canals.  I use the Harry Hall tourer andit's fine with 25s.  I'll get back to you about crossings.  Thanks again!

« Reply #20984 on: 22 May, 2017, 01:13:45 pm »
Si, thanks for that.  I've done the Bridgewater as far as Leigh and agree with you about the surface!  I did it again a few weeks ago on my way to the East Lancs road - was hoping it would be better dried out but it was like riding horizontal steps.  The 55 (there are lots of different bits) is a really good surface, isn't it?!  I love swooping down towards Patricroft and Worsley then back along the Bridgewater to Deansgate and home via the Ashton and Rochdale canals.  I use the Harry Hall tourer andit's fine with 25s.  I'll get back to you about crossings.  Thanks again!

Your HH will be fine on all that I rode, maybe not the steps. What may be of interest to you is you can cross the Moss North to South, to Irlam and eventually get to Risley Moss traffic free. I'm currently working on a route from Risley Moss to Woolston New Cut, a cracking traffic free route through Warrington. I know the paths are there but they're laid out in circles and I keep getting turned around.

More than happy to ride out with you.

« Reply #20985 on: 22 May, 2017, 03:55:39 pm »
Pootled up to Leadgate on the old railway line. Felt incredibly easy after yesterday's exertions - was expecting to grovel. When I turned East at Leadgate I soon realised why it had been so easy; the wind was in the East. There wasn't much of it but what there was, was blowing hard so had to push quite forcefully even on the downhill bits. 23 miles in a couple of hours

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #20986 on: 22 May, 2017, 07:22:12 pm »
On Sunday, the Reading Lightweight Ride with Juan Martin, him on his Hetchins, me on his Bates BAR. Good ride, well signposted and nice route full of interest. We reckoned about 60 participants riding bikes from the 40s to the 70s (I think - Juan is the expert) with riders from their 40s to their 70s. One interesting Italian machine with no sprung derailleur but two levers on the right seatstay; one to loosen the quick release and one to change gear.  :o  The rider said he selected a gear for the ride and left it alone...

Both Juan and I (sadly looking paunchy) and the Bates on their Facebook page photo gallery. Infamy at last.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20987 on: 22 May, 2017, 08:17:59 pm »
The Campagnolo Paris-Roubaix derailleur with the special toothed dropouts and rear axle? Cool but takes a special knack to use.

Edit: Wrong. Corsa was two lever, PR was a single lever.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20988 on: 22 May, 2017, 08:37:52 pm »
Hetchins drool.......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #20989 on: 23 May, 2017, 03:57:32 pm »
Down to Durham, up to Park Head on the Waskerly Way. Back down on the Consett Sunderland Railway path. 51 miles in 4:20, 90% on cycle paths.

« Reply #20990 on: 24 May, 2017, 11:52:47 am »
A bit time pressed today so just 40 mins on t'cog around Ponteland/Ogle area. About ten miles.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20991 on: 24 May, 2017, 02:14:45 pm »
48k solo tootle. Watched a pair of kestrels climbing in a thermal - rare to see two together.  Also pair of invaders on eBikes clogging the cycle track - not rare, alas. Sun, wind.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #20992 on: 24 May, 2017, 08:26:36 pm »
A20 mile Potter along the Slough arm to join the GU canal main line t9 Uxbridge. A short stop to buy some water I set off along cycle route 89 to west Drayton where I rejoined the GU canal back to the Slough arm.0.5 mile back along the Slough arm and a bridleway to right allowed me to Link across to ncn 61 to Langley park .through the park to May's Green and back into Slough . :)
the slower you go the more you see

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20993 on: 24 May, 2017, 10:09:14 pm »
I ran a 30 mile after-work ride on the hilly Ramsbury route.  Two guys turned up on a Pinarello and a Wilier but my ancient 3-speed clubman hung in there.  Snap Hill was awesome - I didn't brake as much this time.  Lovely liquid speed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20994 on: 25 May, 2017, 11:57:04 am »
Liquid speed? That's just before last orders, right?

Talking of which... Wednesday Night Pub Ride, my first this year with the CTC. They'd chosen the same departure point and time (but different pub) as ACB but I was feeling slow and lazy! We got to the pub at 9 and left about 10, all surprisingly early.

On the way to the pub, we lost the tandem and the trike when they missed a turning somewhere, so it was just good ole solos first to the bar, but they caught us up very soon after.

essexian

« Reply #20995 on: 25 May, 2017, 02:07:37 pm »
A couple of weeks ago, I decided that my workload would be sufficiently under control to allow me to take a few days off this month; today being the first of these. Given also that CBH is over her "Aged Mothers" today, what else could I do but go out cycling*  ;D

So, for the first time this year, out I went without a jacket on with the aim to do a ride of 80 to 100km. Well I failed horribly as after only 50km, I headed home as I was far too hot and wasn't enjoying the sunshine.... :facepalm:  (I moan all winter about it being too cold and now its too hot! No pleasing some people eh!).

I also managed to fail to climb the hill from Sandon to Milwich for the seventh time running. Its not the first 250 foot at around 3% I can't manage, but the last 30 at close to 10%. I hate that hill. So, in the end 60km in just over 2 1/2 hours visiting the Greyhound Pub (not open...too early), Weston, Sandon, Stone and then back to Stafford.

Anyway, still far too hot and a little tachycardic  (sp) as my heart rate hasn't dropped below 90 yet despite being back for over an hour.

*I could clean the garage and make a start on trimming the trees in the front garden but as the trees haven't been done in 15 years, I don't suppose another day will harm.  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20996 on: 25 May, 2017, 02:11:20 pm »
Hills which start off gentle then ramp up at the end can be nasty, dispiriting. It's almost better if they're steep all the way up, then at least you're not lulled into thinking it's an easy one. Still, you had a 50km ride on what might turn out to be the hottest day of the year.

Samuel D

« Reply #20997 on: 25 May, 2017, 05:25:33 pm »
It was hot here in Paris, too. Nonetheless, I did 120 km around the Chevreuse valley on this bank holiday. No hunger or bonk this time, thanks to a good sandwich in my back pocket. I did have the feeling my brain was overheating on one of the hills. Beautiful, beautiful countryside.

« Reply #20998 on: 25 May, 2017, 09:33:00 pm »
Only 11 mile's today due to the heat through Stoke poges and around Burnham beech's . I went through 1.5 liters of water and still needed to drink more when I got back  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #20999 on: 27 May, 2017, 11:24:44 am »
Pleased to have managed a nice mostly comfortable 65kms in the early sun and to now be watching the rain from inside:)