Author Topic: Is it bullying?  (Read 2197 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Is it bullying?
« on: 11 December, 2017, 10:29:50 am »
As some of you know, I'm deaf. Not 'profoundly', but I am a hearing aid wearer and find using the phone a challenge, which given that most of my team are in India is a right royal pain in the bum.

When I do use the phone I have the volume turned up on both the PC and the headset, but because of my specific hearing problem ( I have reverse ski slope deafness) some of the sound is still quite loud. The upshot of all this is that I tend to talk loudly, more so when on the phone, and when I get animated, well you get the picture. This hasn't been a problem for 17 years because I've been a designated Home Worker and had my own space at home, but recently DA MANAGEMENT have had a major reorganisation and us Home Workers have been dragged into offices. I happen to share the same office as my boss, who has taken to IMing me when I'm on the phone telling me to be quiet. He's pleasant enough about it, but he knows he's straying towards dangerous territory. We have already discussed it and I have pointed out that a) I have difficulty in regulating my volume and that b) I find it very oppressive and it makes me very self conscious when I use the phone.

But he's just done it again. and as this post shows, it's stopped me working and made me anxious enough to post.

Am I being an oversensitive petal, or is it bullying?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Is it bullying?
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:39:29 am »
I would not like to comment on this but are you using technology to help you?  My wife also has severe hearing deficit* and cannot use the phone with her aids directly.  So we have bought a streamer device that bluetooths the phone direct into the aids, which while not perfect, does allow her, with advance notice**, to use the phone. The same system can be used for television listening and PC use, Skype etc.

*: ie, there is not point trying to talk to her when she is not wearing.
**:  it takes time to connect so is better to make a call than to answer.

« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:48:19 am »
I'd say your boss is failing to take note of the Equalities Act.  You have a disability and so it isn't appropriate to just tell you to be quiet - that's discrimination.

I'm quite conscious about using the phone (usually VOIP conference calls) in my current office.  The general level of noise is lower than my previous office, so I can be quite aware that I'm the only one talking at times (and I'm on calls for about half of my time).  The solution at my workplace is that we have breakout rooms where people can either use the phone, or take their laptop to dial in to calls, so that there is less disturbance in the main office.  Are there any rooms that you could talk to your boss about being able to use when you need to be on a call?

It can be annoying when someone is talking loudly in the same office, but it really is up to your employer to put in place a mechanism to allow you to continue to do your job without discriminating against you.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:53:38 am »
Yes, I have hearing aids and a Streamer, but because of the aforementioned oddity to my hearing loss, the aids are of only some help and in any case I haven't been able to get them to connect to my work PC for telephone use (and can't easily connect them to my desk phone as that a digital thing).

As a technologist I like having the latest and greatest, and I like playing with it and getting it working. It's rather frustrating that I can't get them working with my PC, I blame Microsoft!. The Company have dug into their pockets in the past (the streamer is their purchase) and I think wold do so again if I CBA to fill in all the paperwork. I'd like some new fangled multichannel Bluetooth hearing aids, but at £3.2k for the pair I don't think I would get them to dig that deep. It's rather too much for me also :(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #4 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:55:15 am »
I just noticed you can get speech to text software. I don't know how good it is but it must be a way forward.

(Ever since I can remember I have never been able to hear speech in a crowded room.  I have reasonable hearing for distinct sounds.  Also I could never understand how people knew the lyrics of songs by listening to them on a tiny, tinny tranny.  Since I got decent hifi stuff I can hear the words.)
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2017, 11:06:01 am »
Yes, I have hearing aids and a Streamer, but because of the aforementioned oddity to my hearing loss, the aids are of only some help and in any case I haven't been able to get them to connect to my work PC for telephone use (and can't easily connect them to my desk phone as that a digital thing).

As a technologist I like having the latest and greatest, and I like playing with it and getting it working. It's rather frustrating that I can't get them working with my PC, I blame Microsoft!. The Company have dug into their pockets in the past (the streamer is their purchase) and I think wold do so again if I CBA to fill in all the paperwork. I'd like some new fangled multichannel Bluetooth hearing aids, but at £3.2k for the pair I don't think I would get them to dig that deep. It's rather too much for me also :(

Agree digital phones are more of a challenge.  In my naivety I would have thought a PC should be easier though - a bluetooth transmitter plugged into the headphone port will talk to the streamer.

We decided to buy our streamer privately as my wife works in a school and it would come out of their budget and and would be their property and in theory not available for home use.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6 on: 11 December, 2017, 11:14:48 am »
Agree digital phones are more of a challenge.  In my naivety I would have thought a PC should be easier though - a bluetooth transmitter plugged into the headphone port will talk to the streamer.
You'd think so, ergo my frustration. Bluetooth drivers are notoriously fickle though.
We decided to buy our streamer privately as my wife works in a school and it would come out of their budget and and would be their property and in theory not available for home use.
My understanding is that the items bought under the Access to work grant belong to the individual and not the organisation. The company or organisation has to pay the first part (BT had to stump up the first £1200 iirc) and the grant covers the rest. Obviously in the case of a streamer the value is low enough that the company/organisation would probably have to pay for it. I can't check my paperwork to confirm this because it's I'm the filing cabinet in my home office and I'm nor  >:(, but the process included HR, OHS, and an Access to Work assessor (who, in my case was also deaf). It was a bit of a palaver, but we got there in the end.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:54:52 pm »
Ah yes, the old speech volume regulation problem.  I'm shite at this. It's an ongoing challenge. As a child I had "so called friends" tell me I was too loud in various ways to bully me so I'm hugely sensitive about it and can find being told I'm loud very upsetting.

Whether it's bullying or not is a harder line to draw. My personal experience is that it's about HOW the "you're being too loud" is handled.  I've been both bullied and in situations where my speech volume is hurting other people's ears or clashing with sound sensitivity of people with autism or mental health issues which I don't want.  If I know it's a problem I try and agree a "how they let me know" and that they may need to give me a few tries to get it right and I do sometimes have to talk at a volume I can't hear well to manage it.

I wonder if there are other issues than just this disagreement about your speech volume between you and boss. It seems odd that having talked to him and told him his approach is upsetting that he hasn't changed it, or been clear the speech volume remains an issue and you as a pair have to find a solution... Just telling you on IM again isn't helpful. It's hard to gauge from here whether boss is annoyed because it's different "and speaking loud is bad mmkay mindless (social) rule following" or if he's annoyed because he's genuinely finding it disruptive or painful to be in the room with you while on phone...  He may not entirely have a self-aware sense of this himself of course.  I know when my excolleagues all worked in our own offices except 2 who shared the sharers couldn't both be on the phone at the same time. 

Realistically if your speech while you're on the phone is so loud boss can't get his work done then that is a work-disruption problem even if you don't intend to be loud. Disability rights in terms of rights not to be discriminated against, reasonable adjustment, freedom from harassment/victimisation are not absolute, they're qualified by how genuinely disruptive the "undesirable" or "socially normally unacceptable" disability-related behaviour is. The legal focus would have to be on what steps the employee and employer had considered to try and mitigate the problem but ultimately if the behaviour is genuinely disruptive to the business or other employees then it can in worst case be used as a legit reason to terminate contracts IF all other reasonable alternatives have not been successful.

It sounds like you have tried methods to reduce your volume but not had much success and boss's reaction to your speech volume is now causing anxiety to you which is reducing your work efficacy. No one's happy and there needs to be some serious discussion about options with sensitivity and openness on all sides.

I have a few ideas:

* Does your streamer has a 3.5mm jack socket on it?  Mine (Oticon) does and I've found that Bluetooth to PC is SUCH an arse that I am better off just going back to sodding wires.  I have a split out audio/speakers cable to replicate a headset on PC using the streamer.

* Could you plug in something like https://www.sarabec.com/phoneplus-telephone-handset-amplifier-p38/ to your 'digital' phone? I've got one plugged in line with the handset which uses standard phone sockety connectors on a SNOM 300 VOIP phone thing downstairs as my likely "phone solution" when my beloved Geemarc Screenphone (now unobtanium) dies.... I can then either use the handset which is amplified more and has tone control, or I can plug my streamer into the amplifier unit directly which gives me the clearest sound.

* Is there any option to switch offices to work alongside someone who is less bothered by your loudness on phones?  Can you do phonecalls somewhere else e.g. a meeting room? Could work provide you with your own office as a reasonable adjustment so you're not worried about your phone volume? Would they let you do some work again from home as a reasonable adjustment?  It is worth nothing that as a reasonable adjustment managementTM cannot say "but no one else is allowed to work from home" or anything about comparisons with other colleagues. If it would resolve the phones issue and they're not willing to consider an own-office for you, then they would be hard pushed to refuse it if you have historically and successfully worked from home.

* Access to Work might be worth trying again, if nothing else so you can demonstrate to EmployerTM that you are "trying all the things" and it would then be down to them to refuse to contribute to more tech, or for you to try more tech which still didn't work (if you wanted to make an own office or working from home again case).

For what it's worth I think most fairly deaf people struggle with voice volume, those like you and me who aren't too loud are far too quiet which has other problems.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #8 on: 13 December, 2017, 09:16:11 am »
Wow, thanks Barakta, that's a very comprehensive reply.  :)

I now work in an open plan office with perhaps60 or so desks. we have a notional 120% occupancy, but its normal for many desks to be vacant as some of my colleagues like to be road warriors.

My boss sit's 6ish metres away. I very recently moved to a desk with a higher partition and neither of my immediate neighbours have shown any annoyance nor complained about my volume. Thinking about it now, the last time he complained my bosses bosses boss was in and he sits between my boss and me so that might have influenced him commenting.

We're senior technical/business analysts and system architects for the most. so it's a very tech savy set of people. I'm always trying new things, but like you I've given up on the Bluetooth connection to my PC, it works for sounds and music, but not with skype! The current set up of Skype set at max volume and a binaural headset with added amplification mostly works, though I sometimes have to press the headset to my ears really hard which I find odd (though I've not really analysed it)

As for reasonable adjustments, I was like many of the wider team a designated home worker until September this year, so my volume when on the phone didn't affect anyone. But TPTB decided that we would all be much more productive if we worked in the same office. Given that we are located all over the country and that are designers and developers are in India, this was clearly impractical so they designated a number of 'centres of excellence' and dragged us all into an office. I did point out to my boss the issues when the move into the office was first raised, and suggested that it would be advisable for me to have a separate office, but that would set a precedent and as the 'big man' sits in the open plan office as well, it was always unlikely. It's all part of the command and control culture we have to suffer! So I think if it came down to it they'd lose an argument based on reasonable adjustments. I have thought of adding a higher partition to my desk, but I think the elf and safetea gnomes might get upset with that :D

I've made one reasonable adjustment this week though, I've declined the Christmas dinner invite. The idea of a 'medieval banquet' with 150+ people was just too much for me to contemplate. I'd end up isolated anxious and depressed by the whole experience. Why don't people understand just how isolating it is to be deaf?

thanks again
P

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 13 December, 2017, 09:38:10 am »
I wondered, if you know your voice is loud, are you able to quieten it, even if you are on a call, with the attendant loud earphones?

If so, would a decibel meter of some kind be of help, like ‘SPL Meter’ on iPhone, so you could get visual feedback on how loud your voice is?

This isn’t meant to be victim-blaming, even if it comes across that way. My in-laws were both deaf and I have a little second-hand knowledge of deafness in the hearing world.
It is simpler than it looks.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #10 on: 13 December, 2017, 09:40:07 am »
Why don't people understand just how isolating it is to be deaf?

I guess it's because people can't imagine what the wall of noise is like.

« Reply #11 on: 13 December, 2017, 09:52:03 am »
Realistically if your speech while you're on the phone is so loud boss can't get his work done then that is a work-disruption problem even if you don't intend to be loud.
Impossible situation for you both.
There is someone in my office who has medium hearing loss - they have no idea how loud they are when talking. Their normal voice is shouting level and as they have mental health issues they are prone to getting a bit ranty. They've been here a long time so usually one of their long-term colleagues calms them down and everyone else put headphones on. It's difficult if you are on a phone call though.

did point out to my boss the issues when the move into the office was first raised, and suggested that it would be advisable for me to have a separate office, but that would set a precedent and as the 'big man' sits in the open plan office as well, it was always unlikely.
twerps. It does seem to breach the 'reasonable adjustment' guidelines for everyone.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 13 December, 2017, 10:58:07 am »
In reply to the original question,I would suggest that at the moment, your boss's actions don't amount to bullying but they do show him as someone who is insensitive and almost incapable of understanding your position.
Is there no-one  who can act as referee between you both and  explain the situation to him in simple language so that he can help you, help himself and stop being a pain?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13 on: 13 December, 2017, 11:08:45 am »
I have thought of adding a higher partition to my desk, but I think the elf and safetea gnomes might get upset with that :D

Not this one.  How would a higher partition be unsafe, you could even put a partition behind you with a cunningly concealed door, hey presto - an office!

Alternatively I favour a partition high enough to turn into an impromptu climbing wall.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 13 December, 2017, 11:15:19 am »
If you feel bullied then it is bullying.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15 on: 13 December, 2017, 11:20:34 am »
I have thought of adding a higher partition to my desk, but I think the elf and safetea gnomes might get upset with that :D

Not this one.  How would a higher partition be unsafe, you could even put a partition behind you with a cunningly concealed door, hey presto - an office!
I like the idea of a cunningly hidden door, no one would be able to get in and bother me. Or I could combine both your idea's and at a trap door into the suspended ceiling. I could then prepend to be John McClane. It's the right time of year for such shenanigans ;D Yippie Ki yay m.......
Alternatively I favour a partition high enough to turn into an impromptu climbing wall.
As I can almost reach the ceiling it'd be a bolder wall at best, and once I was stood on my desk to reach the bottom of the pitch, I'd have to stoop to stop from hitting my head. :facepalm: Given the length of my desk, I couldn't even create much of a traverse pitch either  :-[