Author Topic: Light testing - the results  (Read 59513 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: Light testing - the results
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 10:12:09 am »

One thing that I missed was that I had left the cameras colour temperature on auto (because it makes such a good job of all my other pictures that I'm not going to screw with it).

It would have been interesting to set it to a fixed value to get a better comparison of colour - but I don't know if that would make much difference in the real world.

If you took RAW that wouldn't matter.

Good thinking. I took raw+jpeg for all of them. I'll have a look tonight and see if it makes much difference.
Our son does know who Boz Scaggs is, we've done ok as parents.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 10:22:40 am »
Excellent work - and I know it would've been work to collate and present all that information into a valuable resource such as this.
Well done to all involved, and thanks.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 10:26:30 am »
Thorough and methodical work  -  most impressive!
Many thanks  :D

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 10:29:33 am »
Fantastic piece of work.  Thanks  to you all ;D

IQ Cyo for me I  think.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 10:47:54 am »
I'm very impressed - and excellent job, all of you!

And special thanks to Charlotte for getting it all organised and providing the energy for the dynamo-powerd lights...  ;D

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03:32 am »
Fantastic piece of work.  Thanks  to you all ;D

IQ Cyo for me I  think.

Is that a bakfiets in your profile pic? My Cyo is on my bakfiets, and it's a 60 lux. If you were worried that you'd miss the 40 lux nearfield thing, don't. With the combo of the low mounting position and the box, I don't get any sense of things disappearing from view as my front wheel approaches.

HTH

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 11:06:00 am »
I'm sure the testing went well but I can't get by the first picture at the moment.  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 11:09:33 am »
Yes - I feel that will be a perennial...

I'm not surprised by the result for the Smart.  It's a damn bright light for the unit.  Top marks for that, but the suddenness of the edge means that you will miss peripheral stuff because of the contrast.  So the value of the bright centre circle is compromised.

We are all just prisoners here of our own (mobile) device.

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 11:11:41 am »
Tremendous piece of work. Well done Zipperhead, Charlotte and everyone involved. Glass of milk and a digestive for all  :thumbsup:.

Not sure why one of the Cyo pics is completely dark - did I miss something somewhere?

That Lupine is just nuts!

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 11:21:01 am »
Not sure why one of the Cyo pics is completely dark - did I miss something somewhere?
Shutter speed would be my guess. 1/10th second and the others seem to be over half a second.

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 11:33:22 am »
Shutter speed would be my guess. 1/10th second and the others seem to be over half a second.

Ah yes - thanks. So, I did miss something  :D.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 11:33:50 am »
Yes - I feel that will be a perennial...

I'm not surprised by the result for the Smart.  It's a damn bright light for the unit.  Top marks for that, but the suddenness of the edge means that you will miss peripheral stuff because of the contrast.  So the value of the bright centre circle is compromised.

I used to have one of those. Very nice light indeed. The centre spot is very bright, but there is some fairly even spill off from the sides (as seen). What you end up with is a light where stuff 20m away is visible, then at 10m the pothole disappears, then reappears at 2m. Perfectly usable and probably my favourite light set as I much prefer the colour of halogens.

As has been said, setting th ecamera on RAW should allow direct comparison of the colours. The colour temperature will be an arbitrary approximation as they are not complete spectrums. Processing in PS with a fixed colour temp will allow them to be compared directly.

For ease of comparison, is there a standard reference lamp or do I have to find the identical lens and target material (I think I have the same camera body - D80?)

Which light meter did you use? I have an old weston Mk III kicking about so could measure EV for the AyUps pretty easily (as my Seecrit Bunker is longer than Charlottes - oo aah missus).

..d

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 11:36:15 am »
For ease of comparison, is there a standard reference lamp or do I have to find the identical lens and target material (I think I have the same camera body - D80?)

Which light meter did you use? I have an old weston Mk III kicking about so could measure EV for the AyUps pretty easily (as my Seecrit Bunker is longer than Charlottes - oo aah missus).

Yup, D80 with 18-135 (I think).

My light meter is a Minolta Autometer III.
Our son does know who Boz Scaggs is, we've done ok as parents.

David Martin

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 11:40:23 am »

Yup, D80 with 18-135 (I think).

My light meter is a Minolta Autometer III.

OK, I'll see what I can do. 5m from target, light readings at beam centre and 1m to the side. What was the target?

..d

LEE

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 11:47:13 am »
Seems that for us dynamo-heads the B&M Cyo gives the best Bang for your Buck currently.

Supernova E3 looks like a 'turbo-charged' Solidlights and is likely to be even more dazzling to oncoming vehicles (Solidlights throw light everywhere, a nice but wasteful use of the light)

The Schmidt Edelux is, I hear (and the photos seem to confirm) , a Cyo in a better quality case.

I paid about £140 for Solidlights a couple of years ago.  The Cyo is £70.  I expect to see many Cyos on 2009 Audaxes.

Now then, about wiring 2 Cyos together...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Coffee snob and pencil fetishist
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 11:57:06 am »
OK, I'll see what I can do. 5m from target, light readings at beam centre and 1m to the side. What was the target?

This:

Blown up to 2m x 2m  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 12:01:44 pm »
I have no idea what any of this means, but it looks fairly impressive nonetheless. 

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 12:51:45 pm »
I have no idea what any of this means, but it looks fairly impressive nonetheless. 

what it means

1) None of the "new" LED lights tested- and most of the ones of interest are included- are quite as bright as a really expensive lupine betty halide
2) The Cyo (fairly cheap generator powered light) is surprisingly good
3) Lights "new" in the last 6 months are better (just look at the photos) than lights "new" a year ago
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2008, 12:53:13 pm »
What that in itself also means is that we have a variation on Moore's Law:

The output of bicycle lighting systems will double in power every two years.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2008, 12:57:56 pm »

Good thinking. I took raw+jpeg for all of them. I'll have a look tonight and see if it makes much difference.

Good call.

Excellent work all, btw!  :thumbsup:
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2008, 01:03:10 pm »

Now then, about wiring 2 Cyos together...

I've done this with Inoleds, in parallel off a Schmidt. The result is twice as bright, with no noticeable extra drag, nor any increase in speed before the lights 'fire'. They have both to be the exact same model for this to work.

Was there any attempt to test the rolling resistance of different lights? Did any feel noticeably different?

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2008, 01:19:22 pm »
Thanks for all the time you've spent on that Zipperhead!

Among the battery lights the Dinotte 600L doesn't do too badly - I'm going to discount the Smart as the light is too centralised.

I was very impressed by the better dynamo lights.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2008, 01:33:13 pm »
Was there any attempt to test the rolling resistance of different lights? Did any feel noticeably different?

No. 

Of all the hub dynamo lights I've ridden with, I've never been able to discern a drag with anything other than twin E6s up a hill.

Maybe the next test should involve a load test.  Complicated, though...

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2008, 01:44:20 pm »

what it means

1) None of the "new" LED lights tested- and most of the ones of interest are included- are quite as bright as a really expensive lupine betty halide
2) The Cyo (fairly cheap generator powered light) is surprisingly good
3) Lights "new" in the last 6 months are better (just look at the photos) than lights "new" a year ago

Except that the Lupine Betty 6 is a '"new" LED light', not a halide...  ::-)
7 off P4s, to be precise.  :thumbsup:

Excellent work, all! It's got me wondering how my home-brew lights would compare.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

David Martin

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2008, 01:49:30 pm »

This:

Blown up to 2m x 2m  :)

OK.. I can probably borrow a digital projector for that to save on paper.

*waits*

..d