Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2429507 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8600 on: 07 May, 2017, 09:29:27 pm »
My Brompton M6R-X has received it's first upgrade, I've replaced the stock saddle (which I found very uncomfortable) with a honey Brooks B17, in fact I treated myself to a titanium-railed one, as I got a good deal on it:

The saddle is currently more nose-up than I would usually have it, am just having it like this whilst it's breaking in, so that the dimples from my sit bones don't form too far forward due to me sliding to the front of the saddle.

Next improvement will be to add some biocork Ergon GP1 grips, if I can get them to fit on the new-style 2017 M-bars
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #8601 on: 16 May, 2017, 10:12:44 pm »

Eclipse finally built up; just needs the gears fettling a little on the stand and the bars taping.

« Reply #8602 on: 17 May, 2017, 11:02:30 am »
Fleet update.

Genesis Equilibrium with added lightness. Recently converted to a compact chain set and 10 speed 105 groupset

New build Genesis Croix de Fer in touring mode with triple groupset nicked off above Equilibrium (plus some new trp spyres)

And poor old Trek commuter looking a bit tatty but reliable as ever (brooks saddle is now the one on the cdf, it's currently got a charge spoon fitted)

Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8603 on: 17 May, 2017, 12:08:34 pm »
I'm not showing you my bikes if that's your idea of tatty.  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8604 on: 17 May, 2017, 12:30:35 pm »
Actually apart from the mud caked BB that picture shows it reasonably well. Close up the paint is fairly scratched (note the large flaked off piece at the top of the left fork) and the wheels have seen better days. It's getting a 9spd Sora groupset with old style 105 levers off Mrs trekkers tourer - she decided she didn't like the cables out the side in the way of the bar bag so I've just fitted a new style Tiagra set.

I've always liked it as a bike, it rides well, is quite comfy and covers ground quickly - especially with the saddle bag removed. It only got demoted to commuter because the Equilibrium arrived.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #8605 on: 20 May, 2017, 04:11:32 pm »
Courtesy of John's Most Excellent Bikes Wheel Supply Division, I now have a single speed Pompetamine

This may yet be sold, offers invited.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8606 on: 21 May, 2017, 08:54:38 pm »
Looks particularly fab.  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #8607 on: 24 May, 2017, 09:50:07 am »

Some of you saw this in the plastic at Deano's most excellent Brevet Unpopulaire.........

Really rather lovely bike, that! Stylish colour, too.

I can see that you (as Mekon does) like a "roadie front end" with low bars. The square seat post worries me a little, I'll confess. All fine if your position is perfect, but if you want to swap seat post for more/less playback, or if you prefer an alloy post?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #8608 on: 24 May, 2017, 12:12:17 pm »
I still need to let you have a play on the bish bash bosh. Must say, I though Mike's bike looked ace. It looked like it has more off-road potential than mine. I think really that the biggest chunky tyres I could get in would be Steliacooms

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700c-x-38-steilacoom/

I still lust after a space chicken - if they get cheaper I will find it very difficult to resist.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSPCFOR127/on-one-space-chicken-sram-force-1-monster-gravel-bike-275-wheels

« Reply #8609 on: 25 May, 2017, 01:41:24 pm »
I still need to let you have a play on the bish bash bosh. Must say, I though Mike's bike looked ace. It looked like it has more off-road potential than mine. I think really that the biggest chunky tyres I could get in would be Steliacooms

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700c-x-38-steilacoom/

I still lust after a space chicken - if they get cheaper I will find it very difficult to resist.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSPCFOR127/on-one-space-chicken-sram-force-1-monster-gravel-bike-275-wheels

Spacechicken frame is now down to 699, with very similar geometry to mine and no front mech capacity. Not sure who makes it for them.

Sometime you should both have a go on mine - given how close you are it can't be that hard to organise - and I'll take you up on the coffee as well, Dr M.

I had wondered about organising a group buy. Not that I need another, but I suspect that they'd manage a very fair price for 5 or more frames. The colour of mine is Pantone 130C.

Mike

« Reply #8610 on: 25 May, 2017, 02:28:49 pm »

Latest bike to work scheme purchase.

10th anniversary Airnimal chameleon  X set up as a fixed with an eno hub

Subtlety tweaked since it appeared in the fixed wheel thread with brooks cambium, esi orange bar tape, mks quick detach pedals, and a 105 front caliper wirh a q-r (which the supplied campag chorus didn't have as the front wheel comes out when folded...)

It now also has a Carradice super c sadflebag and bagman expedition

Am loving it :thumbsup:
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8611 on: 25 May, 2017, 08:07:03 pm »
That's lovely that is.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #8612 on: 25 May, 2017, 11:17:53 pm »

Some of you saw this in the plastic at Deano's most excellent Brevet Unpopulaire.........

Really rather lovely bike, that! Stylish colour, too.

I can see that you (as Mekon does) like a "roadie front end" with low bars. The square seat post worries me a little, I'll confess. All fine if your position is perfect, but if you want to swap seat post for more/less playback, or if you prefer an alloy post?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thought it might be useful to add a couple of notes.

The bars, at 44cm across the hoods, are wider and slightly higher and closer than on my road bike. But yes, the position is still more road than many. The road front end extends to the geometry with the 72,5 head angle and 50mm of offset giving very road like trail even with the big tyres. As a consequence the bike is a delight to ride on and off road with the 2.1 650b's or with 32mm 700c tyres. It also descends superbly with the combination of good steering and big tyres making for a very secure and adjustable feeling bike.

The seat angle is also 72.5 and the post seems to have about 20mm of setback, though I've not measured it. I've got plenty of movement available with a spa aide. A modern saddle might be less able to slide forwards, but I think most people could get comfy with the right saddle.

Let me know if you want a go on it

Mike

« Reply #8613 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:16:02 am »
Thanks Mekon & Mike! Unfortunately I've still got gert big metal hoops pinned to my leg, so I'll scratch your lovely carbon. Coffee sounds ace though. When?

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #8614 on: 02 June, 2017, 09:55:10 pm »

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8615 on: 03 June, 2017, 08:39:02 am »
Lovely, lovely, lovely bike.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Samuel D

« Reply #8616 on: 03 June, 2017, 10:13:27 am »
Ooh. You can’t just leave that picture there with no info about the bicycle. Three questions for you:
  • What’s the rear hub?
  • What brakes and rim size? I see the pads are at the very top of the slots.
  • How are you holding the bottles?
It’s pretty, for sure. (Better seen by opening the image in a new tab to see it larger.)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8617 on: 03 June, 2017, 10:28:35 am »
What a lovely Claud Butler :)

« Reply #8618 on: 03 June, 2017, 01:49:23 pm »
Finally got around to fitting Ergon Biocork GP1-S grips to my Brompton, ended up having to hacksaw about 5mm off the end of them to get them to fit properly, but all good now. They don't interfere with the fold at all.

« Reply #8619 on: 03 June, 2017, 03:03:11 pm »
Be interested to hear how you get on with those.
I have Ergon GP2 on mine and they have the tendency to get a bit 'sticky' after a bit of use.

« Reply #8620 on: 03 June, 2017, 04:39:32 pm »
I have Ergon GP2 on mine and they have the tendency to get a bit 'sticky' after a bit of use.

That was one of the reasons I went for the Biocork version, which are meant to be a little bit less sweaty, but we shall see. Also thought they'd be a better match for my honey Brooks :-)

Pity they don't do the GP2s in Biocork, I wouldn't mind the short bar ends they have

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #8621 on: 03 June, 2017, 09:55:36 pm »
Ooh. You can’t just leave that picture there with no info about the bicycle. Three questions for you:
  • What’s the rear hub?
  • What brakes and rim size? I see the pads are at the very top of the slots.
  • How are you holding the bottles?
It’s pretty, for sure. (Better seen by opening the image in a new tab to see it larger.)

Rear hub Sturmey Archer 4 speed

Rims are concave weinman 700c, the bike would have had 26" originally so that's why the pads are at the top of slot.

I have elite Eroica double bottle holders.

The frame numbers give a date of 1939.

The bike was in an awful state when I bought it and was fitted with non original cheap parts, I love riding her as she is now but will never finish tweaking.

« Reply #8622 on: 04 June, 2017, 01:46:49 pm »

That was one of the reasons I went for the Biocork version, which are meant to be a little bit less sweaty, but we shall see. Also thought they'd be a better match for my honey Brooks :-)

Pity they don't do the GP2s in Biocork, I wouldn't mind the short bar ends they have

That immediately makes me wonder whether I could dismantle my GP2s and molish the bar ends to   Biocork grips..... *Goes off to find 4mm Allen Key*

Having done some investigative, I'm certain that is do-able.

*Ahem*
http://tinyurl.com/yb597mer

« Reply #8623 on: 04 June, 2017, 08:24:34 pm »

That immediately makes me wonder whether I could dismantle my GP2s and molish the bar ends to   Biocork grips..... *Goes off to find 4mm Allen Key*

Having done some investigative, I'm certain that is do-able.

*Ahem*
http://tinyurl.com/yb597mer

GP3s are too large for handling the fold nicely IMHO, though you might be able to retrofit GP2 ends onto the Biocork GP3 bars. They won't fit the GP1s, I think

« Reply #8624 on: 05 June, 2017, 08:44:42 am »
Didn't the Middleton Velomancer do well: