Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 442183 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2200 on: 24 November, 2020, 12:27:53 am »
I'm not a div! I'm not a div!

Before preparing The Anniversary Card for tomorrow, I checked, and it's the day AFTER tomorrow.

Fuck me but that was close.

That's bad forward planning. Thanks to my foresight (ok, concidence) I am able to check the date of my wedding anniversary using wikipedia.

I just check the birthday of that notorious former German chancellor and fuhrer
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2201 on: 24 November, 2020, 09:49:50 am »
We originally planned to get married on Christmas Eve which is equidistant between Sarah’s birthday and Christmas Day thus making my task of tracking significant dates very easy indeed. This was kyboshed by my MiL when my SiL then husband decided to leave his wife on the day we formally got engaged that being Sarah’s birthday one year before our planned wedding and their 7th wedding anniversary. My MiL decreed it not a good time of year to marry.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2202 on: 24 November, 2020, 10:13:24 am »
That's bad forward planning. Thanks to my foresight (ok, concidence) I am able to check the date of my wedding anniversary using wikipedia.

I was careful to make sure our anniversary was easy to remember by getting married on the same date that Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI issued the Pragmatic Sanction, decreeing that Habsburg possessions could be inherited by a daughter.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2203 on: 24 November, 2020, 11:31:29 am »

I was careful to make sure our anniversary was easy to remember by getting married on the same date that Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI issued the Pragmatic Sanction, decreeing that Habsburg possessions could be inherited by a daughter.

Ditto on a memorable date - UK declaration of war for WW2

« Reply #2204 on: 24 November, 2020, 12:06:10 pm »
And you are all doing it wrong, my father got married on his birthday! Try forgetting that anniversary*

* I suspect he has.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2205 on: 24 November, 2020, 12:54:32 pm »
And you are all doing it wrong, my father got married on his birthday! Try forgetting that anniversary*

My wife and I have the same birthday. She said no to getting married on that day, I tried.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2206 on: 24 November, 2020, 01:24:29 pm »

Ditto on a memorable date - UK declaration of war for WW2

And us 3 days earlier - the date Germany attacked Poland. And it also turned out to be the day, month and year that Gaddafi took over Libya, not that we were paying attention.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2207 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:15:50 pm »
Customer rang up after a part. I run a parts department so this is normal

Types in number. Yes we have. I'll just go and check condition as for older coaches

Can't find it. Hunt and hunt. Tell customer I'll call back. Hunt some more. Log into old computer system to double check location and hunt some more

Then realise we are showing it in stock on one of our mobile tech vans not in the main store.

« Reply #2208 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:24:35 pm »

* I suspect he has.

I forgot my nineteenth birthday.  I was staying in NZ with my uncle and aunt, and went out on Farewell Spit with my uncle early in the morning to see the migratory shorebirds, then rode back as far as Takaka (on a crappy borrowed MTB).  My uncle picked me up and brought me back for lunch at Dovedale where my aunt and cousin had baked me a cake!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2209 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:26:59 pm »

My wife and I have the same birthday. She said no to getting married on that day, I tried.
Finding a partner with the same DOB (ensuring that that date, at least, won't be forgotten) shows much more forethought than simply convincing someone, who presumably wants to marry you, to do so on a particular date.

That's evil genius level forethought.

Also, presumably, cut down on a lot of unnecessary dating.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2210 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:32:51 pm »

Finding a partner with the same DOB (ensuring that that date, at least, won't be forgotten) shows much more forethought than simply convincing someone, who presumably wants to marry you, to do so on a particular date.

Though whether that makes up for the legal and moral shenanigans involved in marrying your twin...  :demon:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2211 on: 24 November, 2020, 04:45:25 pm »

My youngest sister shares her birthday with her husband, though there is a year between their ages. However a January wedding would have been pushing it.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2212 on: 24 November, 2020, 04:47:24 pm »

* I suspect he has.

I forgot my nineteenth birthday.  I was staying in NZ with my uncle and aunt, and went out on Farewell Spit with my uncle early in the morning to see the migratory shorebirds, then rode back as far as Takaka (on a crappy borrowed MTB).  My uncle picked me up and brought me back for lunch at Dovedale where my aunt and cousin had baked me a cake!

I regularly forget my own birthday...

and everyone else's
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #2213 on: 24 November, 2020, 05:57:24 pm »
My wife and I know it's our wedding anniversary when we receive a card from her mother.

We're not really bothered; although it is a good excuse (if one were needed) to open a bottle of something.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2214 on: 30 November, 2020, 10:16:12 pm »
Just remembered the car tax is due tomorrow, but can't find the V11.

Never mind, I can use the V5 instead. Lucky I know exactly where it is filed away...

Oh.

ETA: Had another look. It had been misfiled. Phew. I will be able to sleep tonight.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2215 on: 02 December, 2020, 06:01:58 pm »
I knew that my tool kit on the folder only had two tyre levers in it so when I snappped one last night I had to make do with one complete lever and one half lever.

On tipping out the tool bag to bin the broken bits, and put my new levers in today, what did I find? Yes, a third lever tucked in there. That would have been really handy in the cold and dark last night  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Threade
« Reply #2216 on: 02 December, 2020, 09:08:57 pm »
I flew my drone this afternoon out in the wilds of Suffolk. What with it being muddy and everything, I took off from stop my car in spite of the drone complaining about compass calibrations and magnets.

Enjoyed flying it around. Battery warning. Press Return to Home.

You’re ahead of me aren’t you?

The drone dutifully flies towards the car at its appointed hight and starts to land. It’s off a bit possibly because of magnetic interference. But it’s going to try and land around the aerial. I stop the auto landing sequence and decide to do it manually. Looks like you were wrong  :)

Did I mention it was muddy? Well I can’t land it on the ground then. So I reach out to hand catch it. No worries, I’ve done this before! My thumb is still very very sore and it’s probably going to scar, my index finger is less sore. I didn’t drop the drone though, but it did get a bit splattered.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2217 on: 02 December, 2020, 09:43:46 pm »

* I suspect he has.

I regularly forget my own birthday...

and everyone else's

I was renowned for forgetting Birthdays and was cornered at a family gathering about it, but I forget my own I pleaded, it's only mum sending me a card that reminds me.  One year I was so busy I had ignored the post for a week or two and missed my 29th birthday.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2218 on: 03 December, 2020, 12:02:40 am »
Note to self: your SCIENCE will work a lot better once you realise that the name of a well-known Netherlands-based lorry manufacturer is spelled “D-A-F” and not “D-E-F” :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2219 on: 03 December, 2020, 12:29:19 am »
Note to self: your SCIENCE will work a lot better once you realise that the name of a well-known Netherlands-based lorry manufacturer is spelled “D-A-F” and not “D-E-F” :facepalm:
PARDON?
 ;D

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2220 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:29:13 pm »
The past day I have been designing with scraps of paper and data sheets and my hopeless imagination a mains distribution box to replace the chain of multisockets attached to my home cinema stuff.  I counted the boxes 8 and the connectors they use.
1 C8 on the Philips TV (the little figure of eight type)
2 C14 my old power amps.  This is the type of inlet usually used on desktop computers 
5 C18 the earthless version of the C14

Then I upset myself.  You cannot buy C17 wire-able plugs. Its not allowed. The IEC said no so component makers do not make them.

I started to write a rant then stupid me remembered C13 which has three holes can fit the same shape inlet with two pins.

So design change all outlets will be C13  with earth hole. Seven cables C14 to C13 and one to C7

« Reply #2221 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:40:24 pm »
The past day I have been designing with scraps of paper and data sheets and my hopeless imagination a mains distribution box to replace the chain of multisockets attached to my home cinema stuff.  I counted the boxes 8 and the connectors they use.
1 C8 on the Philips TV (the little figure of eight type)
2 C14 my old power amps.  This is the type of inlet usually used on desktop computers 
5 C18 the earthless version of the C14

Then I upset myself.  You cannot buy C17 wire-able plugs. Its not allowed. The IEC said no so component makers do not make them.

I started to write a rant then stupid me remembered C13 which has three holes can fit the same shape inlet with two pins.

So design change all outlets will be C13  with earth hole. Seven cables C14 to C13 and one to C7
You can buy leads with a single 13A or C14 plug and two or three C13 socket.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2222 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:52:53 pm »
I flew my drone this afternoon out in the wilds of Suffolk. What with it being muddy and everything, I took off from stop my car in spite of the drone complaining about compass calibrations and magnets.

The drone dutifully flies towards the car at its appointed hight and starts to land. It’s off a bit possibly because of magnetic interference. But it’s going to try and land around the aerial. I stop the auto landing sequence and decide to do it manually. Looks like you were wrong  :)

Did I mention it was muddy? Well I can’t land it on the ground then. So I reach out to hand catch it. No worries, I’ve done this before! My thumb is still very very sore and it’s probably going to scar, my index finger is less sore. I didn’t drop the drone though, but it did get a bit splattered.
Why can't the drone land on mud? Because vital bits will get clogged up, or just because it's a pain to clean? Or something else?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2223 on: 03 December, 2020, 08:05:11 pm »

-- cut --

You can buy leads with a single 13A or C14 plug and two or three C13 socket.

I am doing it properly every output is individually switched and fused.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2224 on: 04 December, 2020, 06:33:29 pm »

Why can't the drone land on mud? Because vital bits will get clogged up, or just because it's a pain to clean? Or something else?
There was a choice of mud, either lumpy ploughed field or slurry of questionable origin over broken concrete. The LPF was not suitable because it would not have provided a sufficiently large level patch for landing and the SQO would have been a pain to clean and might have got sucked into the drone vitals.