Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 442186 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3725 on: 16 May, 2023, 05:26:52 pm »
I surmise from that, you are using an oilstone, as opposed to a waterstone.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3726 on: 16 May, 2023, 05:45:07 pm »
Looks much more like claret on a Proper Computer than it does on a fondleslab too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3727 on: 16 May, 2023, 08:53:09 pm »

No. I used a whetstone to sharpen it, dried it off and then popped a bit of oil on it to stop it getting rusty.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3728 on: 17 May, 2023, 12:48:35 am »

No. I used a whetstone to sharpen it, dried it off and then popped a bit of oil on it to stop it getting rusty.

Note. A Whetstone is used to whet the blade. A Whetstone can be used wet, dry, or with oil. Or rather the stone used to whet a blade may be an oil stone, a Waterstone, a diamond plate, or ceramic.

It's a lovely quirk if English that we have whet and wet as homonyms. Especially as you can whet a blade while wet. But you can also whet it while dry...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3729 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:09:48 am »
What happens if you build a bridge out of them?  :D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3730 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:16:53 am »
What happens if you build a bridge out of them?  :D

That would be a Wheatstone bridge...

A's are important...

J
--

« Reply #3731 on: 17 May, 2023, 07:24:11 am »
That would be a Wheatstone bridge...

A's are important...

I think you'll find that in that case it's the Rs that are important.
Anyway, I'm that sure that any damage to the blade in that incident will polish out, so all's good.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3732 on: 17 May, 2023, 09:44:03 pm »

Note. A Whetstone is used to whet the blade. A Whetstone can be used wet, dry, or with oil. Or rather the stone used to whet a blade may be an oil stone, a Waterstone, a diamond plate, or ceramic.

It's a lovely quirk if English that we have whet and wet as homonyms. Especially as you can whet a blade while wet. But you can also whet it while dry...

J

Alright, I meant what Jurek said, a water stone.
That's a lie. I meant I used a boat shaped stone soaked in water, whatever on earth that is called.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3733 on: 21 May, 2023, 08:40:28 am »
I spent last night cat-sitting while The Aussie did her Moonwalk.
Fed kitty this morning and let him out.
Locked the front door behind me and popped the keys through the letterbox, only to realise that I've left my phone indoors  :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3734 on: 23 May, 2023, 09:13:03 am »
In July last year I met a chap who had done the Audaxes I used to organize >10 years ago.  He was interested in my bike motor, but since it needs 135 mm dropout spacing it wouldn't fit his bike.

Yesterday I phoned my motor's supplier and learned that they're bringing out a 131mm version.  This morning FB told me it was his birthday, so I dropped him a line to say happy birthday and give him the glad tidings.  His reply: last August he came off the bike and his hip prosthesis burst his left femur. He can scarcely walk and he'll never ride again.

I feel like a right arsehole now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3735 on: 23 May, 2023, 10:18:21 am »
In July last year I met a chap who had done the Audaxes I used to organize >10 years ago.  He was interested in my bike motor, but since it needs 135 mm dropout spacing it wouldn't fit his bike.

Yesterday I phoned my motor's supplier and learned that they're bringing out a 131mm version.  This morning FB told me it was his birthday, so I dropped him a line to say happy birthday and give him the glad tidings.  His reply: last August he came off the bike and his hip prosthesis burst his left femur. He can scarcely walk and he'll never ride again.

Can't see how you were the div here.

I think the only response to this chap is "Well, that is absolutely crap".

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3736 on: 23 May, 2023, 10:32:23 am »
Ouch! What's that thing that's just stabbed the sole of my bare foot? I pull out from underneath the knuckle of my fourth toe a, mercifully short and straight, strand of the gear cable I installed a few weeks ago.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3737 on: 23 May, 2023, 10:38:13 am »

Can't see how you were the div here.

I think the only response to this chap is "Well, that is absolutely crap".

More or less what I told him.  No, I realise it's not divvery, it just feels that way.  To paraphrase Mr. Bennet, I daresay I'll get over it, and a lot sooner than I should.

« Reply #3738 on: 27 May, 2023, 07:45:57 pm »
I failed to recognise the fusebox on a Mercedes Sprinter van in spite of the face that the word "Fusebox" was written on it in large, friendly letters:-
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3739 on: 27 May, 2023, 07:56:58 pm »
I assume by the presence of a wheel nut spanner and removable towing eye, to say nothing of fuses, that it's somewhere inaccessible when the van is fully loaded?

« Reply #3740 on: 27 May, 2023, 08:03:00 pm »
You were subconsciously expecting it to be in Deutsch?  Like Mercedes, of course ...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3741 on: 27 May, 2023, 08:06:07 pm »

I am making a Thing. For this I need some M4 bolts. I measures carefully for length. And then ordered some M4 x 40 bolts from AliExpress as I was ordering other stuff anyway.

The bolts arrive. I test fit. I check again. Oh arse. Right. Let's try that again, bit remember to leave enough bolt sticking out for the nut... Not just the thickness of the Things...

So as it's a sunny day I cycle to the hardware store and buy 4 M5x50 bolts.

Anyone spot the error on this one ?

Argh.

J
--

« Reply #3742 on: 27 May, 2023, 08:11:26 pm »
Motorway travel is so confusing!

« Reply #3743 on: 27 May, 2023, 08:18:02 pm »
I assume by the presence of a wheel nut spanner and removable towing eye, to say nothing of fuses, that it's somewhere inaccessible when the van is fully loaded?
Not really. Passenger footwell, so once I had move the normal pile of teetering crap that accumulates there in work vans, it wasn't too difficult to find.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3744 on: 27 May, 2023, 08:18:10 pm »

Argh.

J
;D Thanks, needed that.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3745 on: 27 May, 2023, 08:51:54 pm »
Not really. Passenger footwell, so once I had move the normal pile of teetering crap that accumulates there in work vans, it wasn't too difficult to find.

How refreshingly sensible.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3746 on: 28 May, 2023, 08:08:56 am »

Argh.

J
;D Thanks, needed that.

Me too also as well. I haven't done the same but I have failed to notice the word Torx on the pack back before I had Torx drivers.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3747 on: 28 May, 2023, 10:30:10 am »
A recent one and an old one.

1. I was making chocolate mousse for the first time last weekend. Even though I was repeating the recipe instructions, mantra-like, to avoid divvery, I still found myself putting the separated yolks into the mixing bowl while chanting "whisk three egg whites with a pinch of salt, whisk three egg whites with a pinch of salt..."

2. While building up a bike yesterday I definitely didn't cut the long (rear) mech cable to use on the front mech, thus leaving myself with a front mech cable for the rear mech. I'm not being sarcastic - I really didn't do that. But it's only because I've done it so often in the past (well, maybe twice) that I will never do it again.

Probably.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #3748 on: 30 May, 2023, 11:14:51 pm »
After a mere 48 years, my better half has me pretty well domesticated.

When getting home from long rides now, instead of chucking my sportswear on the floor, I put it in the washing machine and start it, before having a shower.

Contact lens wearers are told to remove contact lenses before showering.

Removing contact lenses with concentrated washing liquid on one's fingers is the height of divvitude.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #3749 on: 31 May, 2023, 07:55:43 am »

Contact lens wearers are told to remove contact lenses before showering.

Not sure where you got that pearl of wisdom from. In 35 years of wearing them I've never removed them for showering, nor been told to.  You can even swim in them, but that may mean a custom fit pair that grip to the eyeball better/cover a larger area and so are less apt to float off.

But yes, divvery putting soapy fingers onto lenses.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)