Author Topic: The Olympics-on-telly thread  (Read 12673 times)

Rob S

Re: The Olympics-on-telly thread
« Reply #100 on: 24 August, 2008, 08:22:33 pm »
Ping pong is coming home!! :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #101 on: 24 August, 2008, 09:20:24 pm »
It is unadulterated, exultant silly British genius.   :thumbsup:

Milo rocks.  There's a strength-sport journal named after him (some people even tried the calf thing - and failed, it grows too fast!). 

Now, anyone want to make up a four for wiff-waff? It's coming home, it's co-oming home, wiff-waff's coming home, it's coming home....
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #102 on: 24 August, 2008, 10:14:03 pm »
It is unadulterated, exultant silly British genius.   :thumbsup:

Milo rocks.  There's a strength-sport journal named after him (some people even tried the calf thing - and failed, it grows too fast!). 

Now, anyone want to make up a four for wiff-waff? It's coming home, it's co-oming home, wiff-waff's coming home, it's coming home....

Boris is right you know...   ;)

The game has its origins in England as an after-dinner amusement for upper-class Victorians in the 1880s. Mimicking the game of tennis in an indoor environment, everyday objects were originally enlisted to act as the equipment. A line of books would be the net, a rounded top of a Champagne cork or knot of string as the ball, and a cigar box lid as the racket[2].

Table tennis evolved into the modern game in Europe, the United States and Japan.[3] The popularity of the game led game manufacturers to sell the equipment commercially. Early rackets were often pieces of parchment stretched upon a frame, and the sound generated in play gave the game its first nicknames of "whiff-whaff" and "Ping-pong."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_tennis
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #103 on: 26 August, 2008, 03:25:29 pm »
The T-shirt guys really aren't wasting any time!

Wiff Waff (Ping Pong) T-shirt from Zazzle.com

OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

LEE

« Reply #104 on: 26 August, 2008, 03:34:36 pm »
I reckon if I was going to appear as London's representative in front of 3 billion TV viewers I may invest in a decent suit.

Boris looked like he'd slept in his all week.  Was he aware people may be watching?

Exactly how far from Saville Row does he live/work?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #105 on: 26 August, 2008, 03:35:58 pm »
As a proud member of the "human sack" school of suit wearers, along with Bozza and Patrick Moore and many other rumpled and distinguished fellows, I resemble that remark!