Author Topic: Tickets for Wiggo's hour record  (Read 2359 times)

Tickets for Wiggo's hour record
« on: 17 April, 2015, 10:52:39 am »
Did you get one?

Logged onto the website a few minutes after the tickets became on sale and they had all gone.  That's 6000 tickets sold in 10 minutes.

I wonder if there will be 'standing room' if I turn up on the day.  What do you think?

Re: Tickets for Wiggo's hour record
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2015, 07:15:50 pm »
I think minor matters such as fire regulations and maximum numbers based on safety assessments might limit the numbers, hence a ticket only event to ensure numbers are suitably managed.

Might be worth them having large screen venues and live feed at cinemas etc.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2015, 07:03:40 pm »
Wiggo is making some big predictions for his attempt,  If he cracks 55km, as he is talking about, then he must be seeing some big power stats during training currently.

55Km would put it out of reach of anyone "just giving it a go" because of its new record status and into the reach of only a handful of cyclists, Tony Martin for example.

Unfortunately, for the crowd and atmosphere, if he is capable of that pace then any jeopardy will be gone after about 5 laps.  It was that jeopardy, of painfully clawing victory from near defeat, that made Chris Boardman's record one of the most amazing spectacles (and I only saw it on TV).

55km/hr means he can fix a puncture and still get the record.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:06:34 pm »
In the meantime, you can ogle the startsheet for his 10 mile comp record attempt.  I must say, I'm surprised he's off at 120 in a field of 150 - I thought he'd either be first or last.

Does anyone want to play sweepstake on who's the last rider he'll catch?  I'll go for J Tiffany of Harrogate Nova CC.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:26:54 pm »
Wiggo is making some big predictions for his attempt,  If he cracks 55km, as he is talking about, then he must be seeing some big power stats during training currently.

Here's one link to Wiggo talking about his 55km target:  http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/32610892

Unfortunately, for the crowd and atmosphere, if he is capable of that pace then any jeopardy will be gone after about 5 laps.  It was that jeopardy, of painfully clawing victory from near defeat, that made Chris Boardman's record one of the most amazing spectacles (and I only saw it on TV).

A quick back-of-a-fag-packet calculation suggests that he'd have to keep 55km/h up for 57.8 minutes to (just) break the Dowsett record (i.e. do 53 km), so he could climb off a minute and 12 seconds early :).

OTOH, if he wasn't going to climb off, but instead went at 55 km/h for some period then "blew up" so he could only (!) maintain 50 km/h afterwards... If my calculations are correct, he'd (just) break the record if he kept the 55 km/h up for 36 minutes and rode the rest at 50 km/h  :o

Code: [Select]
If x is the number of minutes he keeps up 55 km/h for:-

55*x/60 +50*(60 - x)/60 >= 53

55*x/60 + 50 - 50*x/60 >= 53

5*x/60 + 50 >= 53

5*x/60 >= 3

x >= 36

Alternatively, if he maintains 55 km/h for 45 minutes then tails off, he would need to average ~47 km/h for the last 15 to (just) break the record.

Code: [Select]
55*(3/4) + y*(1/4) >= 53

55*3 + y >= 212

165 + y >= 212

y >= 47
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:42:56 pm »
Another link with more interesting quotes in it:-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-i-could-break-the-hour-record-tomorrow

“I know I can average 430 watts for an hour, do that tomorrow,” Wiggins said. “The challenge is dealing with the heat, the crowd, pacing yourself early when the crowd are egging you on. Not doing a Gerrard and coming on, booting someone and getting sent off in a minute. It’s about control, lap after lap, for 220 of them.”

“The day after Paris-Roubaix I got a bloke to come out and build a greenhouse with heaters in it so I can go on the turbo at 32 degrees and acclimatise for the heat,”

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2015, 02:13:39 pm »
I must say, I'm surprised he's off at 120 in a field of 150 - I thought he'd either be first or last.
Apparently he's not got any official RTTC time in the last 3 years and isn't seeded. It's also why he can enter that event. I understand it's an "improvers" event for those without a time under 22 mins.

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2015, 02:14:54 pm »
He's on desert island discs this week.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2015, 09:47:55 pm »
I must say, I'm surprised he's off at 120 in a field of 150 - I thought he'd either be first or last.
Apparently he's not got any official RTTC time in the last 3 years and isn't seeded. It's also why he can enter that event. I understand it's an "improvers" event for those without a time under 22 mins.

He's seeded alright: he's off at 120! 

He's also entered another one.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2015, 06:18:15 pm »
Yup, seeded 4th.
For those unfamiliar with time trial seeding, you take the fastest riders and (assuming a field of 100) fill them into places at 100,90,80 .. 95,85,75... 97,92,87,82 etc.

This means that no rider should be able to take pace from another.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2015, 09:22:49 am »
Yeah, I probably should have explained that.  You missed out the 1s and 6s though  ;)
(TT seeding goes 0-5-1-6-2-7-3-8-4-9, counting down the tens each time as David explained.  The idea is that the fastest riders are all at least 5 minutes apart and the others (the 'middle markers') are all chasing someone slightly faster than themselves.)

According to those kind fellows at the Met Office, tomorrow's wind  will be at its strongest - nudging 20mph - just when Sir Bradders goes for his ride.  The course starts out going East and returns West with the return being the longer half, so he could have a difficult time of it.

« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2015, 11:41:18 am »
In the meantime, you can ogle the startsheet for his 10 mile comp record attempt.  I must say, I'm surprised he's off at 120 in a field of 150 - I thought he'd either be first or last.

Does anyone want to play sweepstake on who's the last rider he'll catch?  I'll go for J Tiffany of Harrogate Nova CC.

Tiffany is quoted in our local paper and he says much the same thing. If JT does his P.B and Wiggo is anywhere near record time then they should cross the finish line within seconds of each other. Tiffany is obviously hoping that he gets there first.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »
Are there any YACFers there?

I drove past the velodrome twice earlier today. given the general expectation that he's going to smash this record, without wishing Wiggo any harm, I wonder how accurate those predictions will be.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2015, 06:50:20 pm »
^^^^^ Glass half empty or glass half full kind of person?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2015, 07:04:39 pm »
It looks as though he's sticking to his plan.
The loss of humanity I could live with.