Author Topic: Dutch brevets in 2020  (Read 28352 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Dutch brevets in 2020
« Reply #125 on: 09 February, 2020, 11:44:56 am »

Presbyterianism and Dutch Reformed are closely related: both have their roots in the teachings of Calvin.

Anyway, it was a nice ride yesterday albeit a bit damp from the second control onward. There were a couple of places where the route could be optimized (as mentioned above), but overall it was very well organized.

You were quicker than us, we started to get soaked around the big churches. I think the exchange between zed43 and I as we approached said weird routing went something like "Why does it take us in there?" "secret control?" "secret control, or there's a good bakery"

We found no bakery, nor secret control.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #126 on: 09 February, 2020, 06:35:19 pm »

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #127 on: 09 February, 2020, 06:49:47 pm »
My photo's of yesterday: https://www.zonerama.com/Link/Album/5991691

Why do I get the feeling that last shot is you lot looking at the tracker trying to work out why we're so slow? :p

Nice shots.

J
--

« Reply #128 on: 11 February, 2020, 10:08:39 am »
I enjoyed the ride, made a short detour to look at the Gallery in Brummen to look at some classic cars, https://www.gallery-aaldering.com/nl/
Finished around 18:30.
Anyone going to the 200 in Heerlen, the 29th?

« Reply #129 on: 11 February, 2020, 10:59:51 am »
I enjoyed the ride, made a short detour to look at the Gallery in Brummen to look at some classic cars, https://www.gallery-aaldering.com/nl/
Finished around 18:30.
Anyone going to the 200 in Heerlen, the 29th?

I'll be there, the route will pass within 2km from my home.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #130 on: 11 February, 2020, 12:47:17 pm »

So a secret control where you give us all cake?  :p

I have a hostel booked, and currently intend to be there. Tho having done my RRtY for Feb, I may cancel.

J
--

« Reply #131 on: 11 February, 2020, 06:34:45 pm »
I've entered both Heerlen events ("Festina Lente" because I enjoyed the route the last time I rode it; "Maas en Mijn" because I need to step up to longer distances at some point in the spring as preparation for Bordeaux-Dordrecht).

But at some point I have to stop this: I have riden everything on the Dutch calendar since the Maasland 300, last July...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #132 on: 11 February, 2020, 06:49:33 pm »
I've entered both Heerlen events ("Festina Lente" because I enjoyed the route the last time I rode it; "Maas en Mijn" because I need to step up to longer distances at some point in the spring as preparation for Bordeaux-Dordrecht).

But at some point I have to stop this: I have riden everything on the Dutch calendar since the Maasland 300, last July...

I've got a couple of gaps in terms of the Dutch calendar, but have managed to keep my RRtY streak going from July 2018. With RatN and a failed TCR in the mix.

If I can complete this RRtY (in June), and this TCR. I think I may wind down at least some of the winter Audaxes. Tho I really wanna do LEL, so can't really ease off too much...

J
--

« Reply #133 on: 11 February, 2020, 07:20:15 pm »

I've got a couple of gaps in terms of the Dutch calendar, but have managed to keep my RRtY streak going from July 2018. With RatN and a failed TCR in the mix.

Does that include DIYs? Including DIYs, my DIY streak starts in July 2017. Without, it's September 2018.

I actually like the winter brevets. After completing the 2020 RRtY in June, the plan is to take it easy in the summer and do some relaxed touring: NL-Poland-Sweden-NL most likely, or maybe cycle to Lithuania to meet up with some friends there.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #134 on: 11 February, 2020, 07:23:21 pm »
Does that include DIYs? Including DIYs, my DIY streak starts in July 2017. Without, it's September 2018.

I actually like the winter brevets. After completing the 2020 RRtY in June, the plan is to take it easy in the summer and do some relaxed touring: NL-Poland-Sweden-NL most likely, or maybe cycle to Lithuania to meet up with some friends there.

Yes. I had to use DIY's in March -> June 2019, cos it was a PBP year, there was nothing under 400 for all of these. (I DNF'd the 300 in March :( )

J
--

« Reply #135 on: 11 February, 2020, 10:38:37 pm »

So a secret control where you give us all cake?  :p

I have a hostel booked, and currently intend to be there. Tho having done my RRtY for Feb, I may cancel.

J

I want to ride the event, so no secret controlling ;)
I did do that though once on a 300 from Merselo which passed near Maastricht. One of the German riders later wrote that near Maastricht he missed a turn to a slight detour over a hill. When he spotted the error he remembered that he was in my neck of the woods and that I wasn't at the start. So he turned around, took the correct route expecting a secret control somewhere. And yes, exactly at the point where both routeversions merged I was at the side of the road with a secret control ;).

« Reply #136 on: 26 February, 2020, 08:11:37 pm »
Pretty much committed to this one now. Even booked a room for the night before at Abdij Rolduc. Is the weather going to be totally awful?

« Reply #137 on: 26 February, 2020, 08:40:24 pm »
Pretty much committed to this one now. Even booked a room for the night before at Abdij Rolduc. Is the weather going to be totally awful?

Current forecast suggest a dry morning and a wet afternoon. I would say relatively dry and calm compared to the last two weekends, but definitely not as pleasant as we would like.

« Reply #138 on: 26 February, 2020, 09:56:05 pm »
With the current wind direction we'll have a tailwind from the moment we hit the Maas Valley until Venlo control. The last leg will be hard due to the combination of headwind and false flat. It might be advisable to break that long section with a dinner stop. If you've had enough, you can easily find your way back to the finish from Venlo railway station.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #139 on: 27 February, 2020, 02:05:18 am »

I'm not going to be able to make it this weekend, I've the opportunity for some paid work and I kinda need to take it.

Next ride I'll be at is the one I'm organising 5 weeks later. Tho I'll be riding it 2 weeks before then. Just to make sure it has the correct combination of obstacles ready for you all ;p

Good luck with the Heerlen run!

J
--

« Reply #140 on: 01 March, 2020, 09:02:24 pm »
Due to the wind it was a bit harder as expected. And a bit dryer. A week ago heavy rain was predicted, I only had to endure one rainshower.
Pics are online at https://www.zonerama.com/ivomiesen/Album/6034336

« Reply #141 on: 12 March, 2020, 06:53:13 pm »
For the upcoming weeks there are a few changes in the brevets.
First and for all, the brevets will take place.
But we'll limit the amount of riders to a maximum of 99. Only pre-entries and only electronic pre-payment.
For the upcoming Heerlen brevet all controls have been changed to free controls so we can avoid large gatherings as much as possible.
Further, those who fill a bit ill, especially if you live or recently have visited a high risk area, are requested to stay at home and not to participate.

« Reply #142 on: 13 March, 2020, 08:40:09 am »
Several hours after I wrote my previous post and it's already outdated.
Of the 300km some 250km are through Belgium. Yesterdayevening the Belgian government decided on some severe measures regarding Corona:
-All sports and cultural activities regardless of size are cancelled
-All café's and restaurants are closed from yesterday late evening
-All non essential shops (including bikeshops) are closed over the weekend.

Not the conditions to organise a brevet, most bail out options for the 2nd half of the ride are closed. Combine this with early march weather and it's too risky to organise the brevet.
All pre-entry payments will be refunded.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #143 on: 15 March, 2020, 07:43:15 pm »

On advice of the Dutch Government, the 200 from Amsterdam on 28th is no cancelled. If you already registered, you should have had an email.

Apologies, but it is out of our hands.

J
--

« Reply #144 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:02:14 pm »
New announcement of the Dutch government, all "gatherings" (>3 people) are banned until June 1. This effectively shuts down the audax season until then (as I interpret it).

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #145 on: 23 March, 2020, 08:01:22 pm »
It also effectively shuts down public transportation...

« Reply #146 on: 23 March, 2020, 09:35:27 pm »
I don't know: they still want nurses etc. to travel to hospitals. This afternoon, I had to stop at a level crossing.This was during rush hour and the number of people on that train (Leeuwarden-Groningen for the locals) was barely a handful. Most people are avoiding public transport anyhow.

« Reply #147 on: 23 June, 2020, 08:22:48 am »
We are restarting the audax season in the Netherlands in July (although it may be difficult for Brits to come to the Netherlands at the moment, so this is mainly a notification for those of you living on the "continent"). There are two changes to the calendar: the first Heerlen brevet will now head into the Eiffel region of Germany and the second goes through the Ardennes in Belgium, both are quite lumpy by Dutch standards (or even UK standards). The Groningen event in July was supposed to be an end-to-end ride from the Far North to the Deep South, but is now a tour of the Northern Dutch provinces with start and finish in the city of Groningen.

To make sure that we comply with the Dutch corona laws: maximum of 99 riders at the start (only pre-entry and pre-payment, entry closes 48 hrs before the start and members of Randonneurs NL have priority over non-members). Start will be outdoors at much as possible, no group start (collect brevet card and off you go) and no riding in big groups (max. 4 people). All controls are free controls. And, of course, if you have any signs of illness, then please stay at home.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #148 on: 23 June, 2020, 01:48:23 pm »
We are restarting the audax season in the Netherlands in July (although it may be difficult for Brits to come to the Netherlands at the moment, so this is mainly a notification for those of you living on the "continent"). There are two changes to the calendar: the first Heerlen brevet will now head into the Eiffel region of Germany and the second goes through the Ardennes in Belgium, both are quite lumpy by Dutch standards (or even UK standards). The Groningen event in July was supposed to be an end-to-end ride from the Far North to the Deep South, but is now a tour of the Northern Dutch provinces with start and finish in the city of Groningen.

To make sure that we comply with the Dutch corona laws: maximum of 99 riders at the start (only pre-entry and pre-payment, entry closes 48 hrs before the start and members of Randonneurs NL have priority over non-members). Start will be outdoors at much as possible, no group start (collect brevet card and off you go) and no riding in big groups (max. 4 people). All controls are free controls. And, of course, if you have any signs of illness, then please stay at home.

Thanks for the update. Main issue I'm now up against is NS's stupid no bike on the train rule...

Does the Mybrevett thing count towards the Dutch RRtY ?

J
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #149 on: 23 June, 2020, 02:32:18 pm »
Unfortunately, no.